Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Is the general plot of Gran Torino taken from an old western or similar? Grizzled old retired cowboy learns to love and protect his outcast neighbours, then sacrifices himself so they can have a better life.... I'm sure I read about it once, is there any direct precursors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

What like Shane?

Yes, but Shane doesn't die. I was thinking of something more final.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Purple Monkey posted:

I have never seen or read a single Harry Potter but I am quite a big Alfonso Cuaron fan, can I skip straight to Prisoner of Azkaban and be able to follow the plot?

It's just Star Wars

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

What are some great movies by directors who never made another great movie?

How about Penelope Spheeris, Wayne's World is pretty massive and well made and she certainly never came close to doing it again.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Timby posted:

Ghostbusters by Ivan Reitman comes to mind.

Is Kindergarten Cop well-remembered? Seemed to be big at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

What are some unscripted movies (or movies with scripts that were basically ignored) that aren't already on this list?

Indeed, where's the big 3?

Waiting For Guffman
Best In Show
A Mighty Wind