Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What films have given away their ending/major plot points either purposely or not-purposely. Maybe through a trailer that contains super late scenes etc.

I’m watching the beginning of Talk Radio which I’ve seen a few times, and right in the opening credits it says in big letters ‘Based on the book “The Life and Murder of Alec Berg”’ which pretty much gives away the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I believe it did, as I asked previously how known that was (as I was young, hadn’t seen the first one etc) and apparently it was completely public knowledge. What a boneheaded move.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

John C Reilly has some insane range too. Doesn’t have too many bad movies from memory tho.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's always the plot descriptions on Wikipedia that shouldn't take more than a handful of minutes to read and usually cover most elements you need to know in films.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What’s a film you watched thinking you knew a massive spoiler, but it turns out to be either nothing important, or what you think happens doesn’t actually occur and was from something else/mishearing.

I was pleasantly surprised today watching Audition for the first time and realizing the thing I thought was ‘the big twist’ is actually from Visitor Q (and sounds like it’s something mentioned right at the beginning).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Italian giallo stuff is always a minefield for language options. I believe in most cases they overdub regardless of language, and the sound captured during filming is scrapped. I’d say go with whichever you fancy rather than feeling you have to get a specific language.

One of the Argentos has a scene that goes into Italian regardless as it was cut back into the movie afterwards and I think they lost the English audio for it (or it was never recorded). Wild movies.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I do love seeing the ‘obviously added by the person’ listings. Yeah I see you, ‘girl drinking at bar’.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sites like https://1iota.com/ do that, although it's a bit sparse at the moment. I've done an audience thing once, it was fun albeit not the intended experience (short report here if you care).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I enjoy Paul WS Anderson’s Mortal Kombat than I do any Paul Thomas Anderson film. I have to live with this fact every day.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This is gonna be a localization query, so first off some background. In the UK in the 80s and most of the 90s the majority of us had a grand total of 4 tv stations period. If lucky, you could get a bunch more with cable/satellite and these would tend to be things like CNN, MTV, premium sports and movies etc as well as a few entertainment channels. These 4 channels were in competition enough that most things would be modern/first runs and we also air soap operas around 8pm or so which eats up a lot of the time.

OK so in toooons of US movies we’d see from this same time period, if there was someone watching a movie on TV it would almost always be something in black and white.

Was this a genuine thing - that due to having a bunch of sub channels and more options due to bigger cable/sat systems that much older b&w movies were constantly being played to fill up the airwaves, or was it just cheaper for the filmmakers to invent this, and it wasn’t really that common for people to be watching 30 year old stuff constantly.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

morestuff posted:

I can't remember a ton of movies where this a thing, but either way it doesn't really reflect reality. Re-runs existed, especially in summer, but were usually showing current shows. B+W sets were still somewhat common in the early 80s. Local channels, usually in bigger cities, would have horror hosts and late-night movie blocks.

But most directors were probably just using public domain material, or wanted to pay homage to older stuff. Sometimes it's for plot reasons, like The Honeymooners in Back to the Future.

Yeah I always presumed the latter, it was always just weird to see... 80s America when you’re a kid in crummy old Britain looked so exciting and it seemed weird how through the lens of movies it seemed you guys were often living in the past from that one single aspect. I knew about cable naturally, but my first time using a US TV and dealing with the sub channels was totally a WTF moment and then realized what kind of content they tended to run. And yeah the US and UK tv seasons work very differently, with the US being generally pretty regimented when it comes to the broadcast networks in comparison to the UKs ‘we’ll just air it when it’s ready, whether it’s 6 months time or 6 years’.

As for examples, yeah BTTF is on the list and that’s a good point about the plot, I’m sure Gremlins is another and that’s probably a similar thing, and I know to me RoboCop always kind of stood out because it used its own handmade clips in colour. Even though it’s late 70s, the idea popped into my head again last night when watching Halloween which seemed to be playing tribute to films for sure (including, wonderfully, The Thing).

Skwirl posted:

I misread him elongating "tons" as toons, as in cartoons.

Absolutely my bad! I’m sorry.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha! Well I learned something today.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

morestuff posted:

Joe Bob Briggs has a show on Shudder

I didn’t know him growing up due to being in the UK, but I love his Shudder show and watched a ton over October. Did Hellraiser 2 yesterday which has just as much non-movie segments as the film itself and was a great watch.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s because of a subplot that didn’t make final cut. There’s actually a bunch of stuff that doesn’t make total sense in the film, and this video does a great job going over them.

https://youtu.be/fEtOEoyqj6k

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not a movie, but I’ve been watching Ink Master s1 from 2012, and this stock footage shot… that’s the twin towers right?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The lack of antenna did stick out to me, but couldn’t think of seeing two other buildings stacked like that. Nice they weren’t buying horribly outdated stock footage at least.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Luckily there’s an internet project that put all the music back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Make sure to watch Best Worst Movie, which is the documentary about it and it’s resurgence. I think it hits that perfect blend of insanity and competence that makes it a lot of fun.