Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
poo poo, I was going to post the Steranko one too! The cover is great--it's cool seeing characters that are still in the public consciousness today and others that I have no idea about. I picked up the second volume in the wild but never saw the first.

E. I looked in my copy and it was projected to be a 6 part series, but I don't think anything past the 2nd was published.

A Strange Aeon fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Hard to compete with all that cool poo poo, but here's my humble contribution:

It's exactly what it sounds like, thousands of comic book covers in full color.

I have the set of four that I found at a storied downtown Pittsburgh comic book store a decade ago or so. I'm not sure if they made any others, but the Marvel ones go up through 1990. Incidentally, you can see my version of that Steranko comic book history with its wraparound cover art.

It's kind of a neat artifact because obviously if you just wanted to browse a bunch of comic book covers, the internet has your back. But back when these books came out, that wasn't really the case. They also have some goofy pricing stuff that's easy to ignore.

I opened up at random and took a few pictures--it's fun to look at the comics of yesteryear and it's convenient to have a big rear end book to do it. My only caveat is that having a magnifying glass would help a little bit--just seeing them at 2x would go a long way. If you want to get a closer look at something, you'll need to go to the source and zoom in a bit more.

double page spread

closeup 1

closeup 2

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
As an EC Fanatic myself, love the post. I've never tried to track down originals, I have most of the pre trend crime and almost all the horror, sci fi, war, and crime (I might be missing some Shock) in the annuals from the 90s that each contained 5 issues or so. They cover priced under 10 bucks and when I got my first real job, I bought a few dozen from the publisher to fill in all the gaps I had from when I was a kid.

The war titles are for sure the high water mark as far as storytelling goes, though the art is amazing throughout the entire line. I think most people would find them overwritten compared to modern comics, and several horror and crime plots rely on a familiar love triangle that gets old.

The sci fi stories are probably my second favorite after the war, but all of it is good if you like the house style. I've read almost no post trend--is any of that worth seeking out?

And if anyone doubts the power of Harvey, just compare the first issues of Mad with its "sister" title Panic.