Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Some books came in the mail last week, and one of those books was bought because of this thread.

The Temple of Silence, an oversized collection of Herbert Crowley's art and comics. It's a research passion project put out by Beehive Books. I was browsing their site based on the mention here, and thought this looked absolutely stunning.

I love old and oversized comics.

I also happened to pick up two Roy Thomas collections (Barbarian Life) , which go through the first hundred issues of Conan the Barbarian issue by issue. I love Conan, he's one of my favorite characters and probably the most consistent licensed IP to ever make its way to comics. He's also an actually good use of Roy Thomas' talents (Roy's Marvel comics from the 60s and 70s were bad, except for what he did on Conan and the Conan mags).

This book also has a really weird publishing history. Apparently it's based on articles Roy wrote in English, which were then translated for a Spanish publisher. When it came time to collect the books nobody had the English versions of the essays, so they re-translated them back to English and Roy went over and cleaned them up afterwards. I kind of wonder how that plays out in some of the writing.

And lastly I got a Junji Ito book, but I think I'll wait to share that until I collect a bunch of his stuff into one post.

On a totally different note - How Wonderful!, I removed the second sentence from my earlier quote. I assume the edit was done for doxxing reasons or something. Are you ok with me leaving the rest, or would you prefer I remove it entirely?

Nah you're good. I was being hyper-paranoid about doxxing stuff so I took out everything I could find about where I live, which was probably overcorrecting to begin with.

Anyway please tell me your thoughts on The Temple of Silence. I've had my eye on it for awhile but Crowley is a complete unknown to me and it's pretty pricy for a blind buy.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Hey, if you get a chance could you possibly post some of your thoughts on Temple of Silence? I had a big expense coming up that has turned out to be roughly $600 less than I had budgeted for and I'm tempted to spend part of my tax return unwisely.