Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
Being smartassy is the key to any legal struggle.

Anyways, there is reasonable doubt over criminal intent, no harm was done and the overzealous SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR swiftly interfering made it impossible to determine intent vs honest mistake with certainty as there was not even time for the Old man to respond in any indicative manner. Even if there was criminal intent, potential jail time or fining someone for taking low value non-sentimental property is excessive and helps no one.

Also even the victim does not want this to go forward.

Don't indict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
These cases are getting kind of heavy.

Indict

I feel like this might be one of those cases meant to punch the player in the gut, rear end in a top hat who takes advantage of others and has a record of doing so earlier, Indictment being the obvious choice on multiple levels, but without direct evidence I feel the case can't go anywhere and the dude will walk free, especially given the "presumption of innocence" thing being talked about just now. There is a fair amount of circumstantial evidence and multiple transparent lies, but being a proven scumbag with a record is not enough to disregard the spirit of the law, as the law and its application should not vary depending on if the suspect in question is liked or disliked by some.

I uh, feel like I just argued for Non-Indictment, but just lying down in defeat would make things even more depressing, not to mention heartbreaking for the friends and family of the dead, law or not, sometimes you must push for justice and a better society, otherwise what is the point of laws in the first place?