Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Oh god, the preview clip for the next episode.
:stare:

Maple being indestructible is the least of the problems that game world has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCIN6sKRwxI

She gets a battle suit with laser cannons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Maple takes her party role extremely seriously and literally

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am pretty sure the elite guild's plan to deal with her will be to just try and get as many points as possible fighting weaker foes whilst praying that she doesn't shatter the game over her knee yet again.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Whenever Maple appears they should put her health bar at the bottom of the screen and play boss music.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am so glad they didn't spoil the best part about this episode.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
These developers are absolutely terrible at their jobs. Do they outsource all of their work to a 8 year old boy, who just does whatever seems cool for him?
Seriously, what kind of weirdass quest was that? Find some cog in the middle of some forest and bring it there to unlock that.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

cant cook creole bream posted:

These developers are absolutely terrible at their jobs. Do they outsource all of their work to a 8 year old boy, who just does whatever seems cool for him?
Seriously, what kind of weirdass quest was that? Find some cog in the middle of some forest and bring it there to unlock that.
Hey, Axe Cop worked fine for a while that way.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Ok NOW Maple should have boss music when she's on screen.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think a good chunk of the games content is just made with very little developer input. Like technology has progressed to the point you can jack yourself into a game that can make it feel like you are in game for a week while still only having transpired 2 hours in real life, most of the content will probably be procgen and the developers just fix edge cases or retune the formulas when someone breaks something horribly.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

:smith:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Can't believe the final boss of this game has 7 forms

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

Considering one of the most popular MMO'S ever has quests where people dig through poo poo and need to turn in creature butts I can totally see dev's designing a quest like this and thinking its good

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It sort of makes sense from a design perspective at least in the angelic and now machine god forms. They could have designed epic quests lines that require a random item from an earlier floor to be used on the next floor but Maple is a sequence breaking scumlord.

Having people have to visit older areas in an MMO is good because it makes the areas seem more populated and lower level newbiews can see higher level players running around.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It turns out somebody hosed up a variable name and VIT and LCK are the same stat.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This has gotten rather silly

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Maple for Super Robot Wars

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
At this point the devs are probably purposefully seeding stuff for her because they find the despair of other players hilarious.

Speaking of robots, did she end up with a robot clone at the end there?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Godzilla and Gundam in the same episode. What's next?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Godgundam Gunzilla!

I really like that the game has so much content that "Random poo poo I found 12 levels ago is actually part of Zone C's Epic Tier sidequest". Part of half the fun of watching is seeing what broke-rear end poo poo is next.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Maple's utter disregard for gameplay balance and busted luck is quite fun, but Sally is genuinely impressive. Faking skills by pure aptitude, just to mess with someones intel and sneaking around one group to manipulate them to become unwilling mercenaries against another are both great actions.

Also everyone is completely jaded by now. "So, she's a mecha kaiju now? Well that's convenient."

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It hasn't come up yet in the anime, but Sally hasn't taken a single point of damage since she's created her character. There's a reason her establishing shot in her room started with a bunch of trophies and awards.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Has this been discussed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH3y3YfIC6o

I have my share of issues with Mother's Basement (or most anitubers in general), but it seemed interesting at least from the "The in-universe MMO game is kinda lovely" angle.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Wark Say posted:

it seemed interesting at least from the "The in-universe MMO game is kinda lovely" angle.
Oh definitely, this is the janky Eastern European/Korean MMO. It's got these weirdly complete and deep progression options for just about every playstyle (you ate a lot of leaves? CONGRATS here's the Ruminant skill you can now digest wood and talk to plants! Oh, you nearly drowned? Here's the Fishkin skill you can breathe underwater!) but hardly any documentation or handholding. It's got epic-level quests that trigger randomly (you beat the boss 20 times, here's a summon for you!) or that dole out rewards in really iffy ways (you're the first one to kill this boss?! Here's an ultra-rare item that is 100% unique in the game and no one else EVER will get it!).

It's basically the weaponlord of MMOs.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

As I've said before it's exaggerated for comedy but it's completely in line with early MMO's even in the west what with EQ having Unkillable bosses being killed (Hi Sleeper) and quests for epics that just had Random drops and WoW having stuff like World bosses that could be brought to cities to kill lower levels and a debuff from a boss that if not cleared and brought to town would kill everyone

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

As I've said before it's exaggerated for comedy but it's completely in line with early MMO's even in the west what with EQ having Unkillable bosses being killed (Hi Sleeper) and quests for epics that just had Random drops and WoW having stuff like World bosses that could be brought to cities to kill lower levels and a debuff from a boss that if not cleared and brought to town would kill everyone

Ah the Corrupted Blood plague. I remember it well.

But yeah, the game in Bofuri is clearly intended to be kind of a hot mess of bad design decisions.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The only thing I need to know about the devs is they accounted for and rewarded the player for chowing down on a poison dragon. They can no longer do any wrong in my eyes

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Danaru posted:

The only thing I need to know about the devs is they accounted for and rewarded the player for chowing down on a poison dragon. They can no longer do any wrong in my eyes

I'm surprised they haven't nerfed eating yet tbh.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I’m annoyed how hard it is to read the chats at the end, as those are some gold.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

yeah I don't know why they put them in if they're just gonna throw em up for half a second?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kild posted:

yeah I don't know why they put them in if they're just gonna throw em up for half a second?
BUY THE BLU RAYS

Greblin
Mar 12, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

BUY THE BLU RAYS

Beats the usual tactic of obnoxiously censored nudity.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Speaking of Blu Rays, is this a one cour or two cour show? I want to know how much more Maple I get to enjoy.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

12 episodes but it seems popular enough for a s2 to be on the table

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Anyone have any idea how much material's left to adapt?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tons, there are 9 novels out right now, which should be enough for another 2 cours.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

What are we up to?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The current event is from the fourth volume, but I don't know if anything before that was skipped.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I've only been reading the WN, and there's been some very minor skips or combinations, so I'd say not really.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

I've been enjoying the show thus far, but, holy poo poo the soundtrack is just abysmal. Is there a isekai temp track house that handed off their unwanted songs to this show? Like the bootleg Outrun track they use during montages is just earmurder for me.

2reachmu fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The soundtrack is so bland (outside of the decent OP and ED) that I fail to notice it most of the time.