Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I mean, as OP as maple is, her guild is still barely fighting for the last place spot. It's not like she is auto winning or anything. Most of her success comes from people not knowing how to handle poo poo they never have seen before, but as soon as they do, they start to adapt and she has a much harder time.

This is also why they were lying about skills, move countermove seems to be a big part of this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Maple tree isnt last place though, they are tenth place which is amazing for what is a small guild

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Maple tree isnt last place though, they are tenth place which is amazing for what is a small guild

Yeah, they're last placing, there are plenty of guilds who are below the threshold to get whatever the reward is for the event, including apparently tons of guilds who have been outright eliminated that are larger than Maple Tree. They're actually doing really well for how small they are.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah, they're last placing, there are plenty of guilds who are below the threshold to get whatever the reward is for the event, including apparently tons of guilds who have been outright eliminated that are larger than Maple Tree. They're actually doing really well for how small they are.

They are barely holding on to 10th place which is not last.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Didn't say that. I said they're last placing, as in they are the last to have a place.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

Didn't that famously break someone online?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQnDi87VsuE

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

we did it folks

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1242805692626382852

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
Didn't actually expect a season 2 tbh, but I welcome it

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That was a fun final episode and I look forward to seeing the next season. I am glad to see that wooly or whatever it was called can be combined with machine god.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Using the upbeat, easy-listening montage music over Maple going Godzilla on the entire goddamned server was inspired.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The dev's just giving up on Nerfing Maple as she has become the mascot and is attracting new players and players want to beat her at her strongest is amazing. Also the bit with Maple monster drinking with the rest of the guild was amazing comedy

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The dev's just giving up on Nerfing Maple as she has become the mascot and is attracting new players and players want to beat her at her strongest is amazing. Also the bit with Maple monster drinking with the rest of the guild was amazing comedy

She's basically Lord British now.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The line of Maplezillas silhouetted on the horizon to cheery music was inspired.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

The line of Maplezillas silhouetted on the horizon to cheery music was inspired.

Straight-up End of Evangelion poo poo.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

None of the other players are being giant whiny brats because Maple has abilities they don't and it's ruining my immersion. the nonstop wholesomeness is refreshing

That can be the season two conflict: a spoiled tryhard player who has to learn how to relax and have fun. Joins the guild and tries to implement DPK for splitting raid drops, freaks out when Maple transforms into a dinosaur after eating what he thought was the worst drop.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Straight-up End of Evangelion poo poo.

Nah that image is straight out of Nausicaa.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Wicked Them Beats posted:

None of the other players are being giant whiny brats because Maple has abilities they don't and it's ruining my immersion. the nonstop wholesomeness is refreshing

Could this be a Japanese thing? I've been on some Japan-only servers for games and universally they tend to be more friendly.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm excited for season 2

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Can't wait to see what Maple will do next season.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You know how loving terrifying that poo poo would be in regular VR, now imagine it full sensory cortex VR. These games have hosed people up.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You know how loving terrifying that poo poo would be in regular VR, now imagine it full sensory cortex VR. These games have hosed people up.
And yet they're all :dance: "That was fun! Uno más!"

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Yeah, that's a real selling point. Payne's reaction of "welp guess I'm getting my head eaten by a giant demon beast. GG re?", including showing up for a party after is exactly the good sportsmanship we need in these trying times.

If I were the devs I'd start seeing how far I had to crank the pve difficulty knobs to actual challenge Maple Tree, let alone the hint of the pve alliance we see of them, Flame Emperors and Holy Sword.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I can't believe VR games are desensitising our children to violence like this. We have to ban this filth.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What is the origin of Oboro as a ninja name, anyway? It seems quite common.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It's a fancy word for "hazy". I don't know if there's more to it than that.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't it originally part of the backstory of the Shinobi games, too?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Test Pattern posted:

If I were the devs I'd start seeing how far I had to crank the pve difficulty knobs to actual challenge Maple Tree, let alone the hint of the pve alliance we see of them, Flame Emperors and Holy Sword.

I'm glad the game devs see the value in Maple. ALSO:

CrazySalamander posted:

Welcome to MapleSwarm.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I'm glad that Maple and Sally get to go on another date for the credits :unsmith:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
from a balance perspective, maple is terrible. but as a mascot/raid boss she's an excellent advertisement for the game. she's not a player, she stopped being one long ago.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Sindai posted:

If Wool Maple doesn't somehow play a key role in this battle I will be extremely disappointed.
I am mildly disappointed because at least she's training Wool Machine God Maple for season 2

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I wish the power twins could've done more. They got hyped up as super strong mini maples and didn't really do much to show off their maxed out strength in this final event.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Kild posted:

I wish the power twins could've done more. They got hyped up as super strong mini maples and didn't really do much to show off their maxed out strength in this final event.

Weren't they building them up as a secret weapon for the guild? Then had them essentially eat poo poo and weedwack low-level players throughout the event.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

2reachmu posted:

Weren't they building them up as a secret weapon for the guild? Then had them essentially eat poo poo and weedwack low-level players throughout the event.

Were they building them as secret weapons? I thought Maple Tree just wanted to get their levels on par with everyone else and nurture Maple-but-offense*2.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
In the novel they were at least responsible for eliminating Frederica in the cave battle, so I'm surprised it wasn't included. Easy to show too, just let them crash though the multi-barrier instead of Maple in the end.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah turns out Max Offense and 0 agility is a much harder sell. Then should have used them rear end mass driver weapons by dropping them from Skyturtle and having them activate their giant crystal hammer skill.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Can she teleport people she's holding with her cover skill? If so, she can shoot around the battlefield dropping them off.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The twins only have like 2 passives and 1 attack skill, they are still pretty casual even if power leveled.

When they start doing poo poo themselves and find some weird rear end combination to skills they'll be able to poo poo on people

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what's unclear is if they will ever be able to do the first time dungeon solo clear for a unique, custom generated gear set like everyone else.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what's unclear is if they will ever be able to do the first time dungeon solo clear for a unique, custom generated gear set like everyone else.

I think they can manage it, I mean Maple managed to take out the Hydra using nothing but her cute little fang and some healing potions. They've got the whole Maple Tree backing them up with gear and skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I want Bofuri 2 to just be completely offline Maple and Sally adopting their two daughters and being an adorable family

I don't give a frog's fat rear end if there's an interesting story to tell