Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

remind me what firefox's unique end-user value proposition was at any point in the past?

web "developers" wanted to gently caress up the web and Microsoft wouldn't let them so they built mozilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

remind me what firefox's unique end-user value proposition was at any point in the past?

the alternative was ie6, which was an unbelievable pile of poo poo garbage

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

web "developers" wanted to gently caress up the web and Microsoft wouldn't let them so they built mozilla.

uh huh....

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

The_Franz posted:

the alternative was ie6, which was an unbelievable pile of poo poo garbage
Almost as if sitting for depositions and watching their backs for the latest “bundling” whinge took a toll on the dev effort

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Gazpacho posted:

siphons hundreds of millions of dollars annually that google would otherwise put into data thievery

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
fired fox

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Firefox saved the world from MSIE garbage monopoly.
but then it lost to the chrome monopoly.
rip

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i thought firefox's original value proposition, as phoenix, was that it was significantly lighter-weight than mozilla

still scarred by trying to build it against xft so i could get pretty antialiased fonts on lunix

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Gazpacho posted:

Almost as if sitting for depositions and watching their backs for the latest “bundling” whinge took a toll on the dev effort

holy poo poo this spin :laffo:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
IE6 was still better than late stage netscape

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
damned by faint praise

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ie6 didnt even support transparent pngs. gently caress it to hell

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Gazpacho posted:

hey shaggar, you're logged into the wrong account

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pram posted:

ie6 didnt even support transparent pngs. gently caress it to hell

it supported one bit transparency which made it exactly as useful as a gif

scratch that, you can animate gifs

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
but seriously i worked pretty closely with a bunch of moz folks for hangouts integration and this kinda sucks

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

wangouts

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

but seriously i worked pretty closely with a bunch of moz folks for hangouts integration and this kinda sucks

:smith:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shaggar posted:

web "developers" wanted to gently caress up the web and Microsoft wouldn't let them

hmm...

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
cute trick they pulled back in the day declaring that the browser with 90% market share didn't comply with "industry standards"

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Fiedler posted:

cute trick they pulled back in the day declaring that the browser with 90% market share didn't comply with "industry standards"

there were specifications to adhere to

rip xhtml https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3236

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

should’ve just stuffed the w3c board, as is done today

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
allowing malformed html to render was the biggest mistake.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ie was trash rip in garbage and piss and poo poo etc

pram
Jun 10, 2001
loving MIKKKRO$HAFT

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

agreed

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
well I’m still not going to use the browser made by the surveillance company, the browser that doesn’t run on most of my computers, or the browser made by the attention marble company, so I guess I’ll stick with the dying ’fox to the end

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lol now i’m remembering how firefox was once the only browser which could play gifs at a reasonable speed which had the effect of a bunch playing at hyper speed because the op made them for ie

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Soricidus posted:

the browser made by the attention marble company

when you compare him to other techbro ceos, at least the bitcoin browser guy is honest about being a fascist

e: ^^^ i don't remember which browsers did it this way but i have fond memories of loading up gif threads on message boards and hearing the delightful whine of my computer fans spooling up

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 20, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Lutha Mahtin posted:

when you compare him to other techbro ceos, at least the bitcoin browser guy is honest about being a fascist

wait is that why they’re all assessed with that drat browser? i thought it was just a fad that caught on with that group plus the lion logo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

PIZZA.BAT posted:

lol now i’m remembering how firefox was once the only browser which could play gifs at a reasonable speed which had the effect of a bunch playing at hyper speed because the op made them for ie

hm yeah I recall making some starcraft portrait gifs and was confused when they ran too fast in phoenix

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Gazpacho posted:

I think it's always been "this version of Firefox is less buggy than the previous one". Nothing really ever got better, just less lovely. It's so sad that it took Google Chrome to implement crash recovery and a less intrusive update mechanism, it still doesn't feel like Mozilla has hit that second point.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

man what is going on in this thread. i thought fishmech got banned???

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
fishmech lives on in all our hearts

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

not mine :henget:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

allowing malformed html to render was the biggest mistake.

worse is better and the entire web stack is so very much worse

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

oh no the bad web "standards" don't work. how horrible.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

oh no the bad web "standards" don't work. how horrible.

do you work? and if so how are you employed? lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

It was called Pheonix, and when it came out it was lightyears faster than IE was at the time. Then the people who made BIOS chips got all pissy and they changed their name to Firebird. Then Pontiac got all pissy and they changed their name to Firefox and made a logo of a fox yiffing the Earth. They've been an organization of furries from that point on.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lmarf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

akadajet posted:

It was called Pheonix, and when it came out it was lightyears faster than IE was at the time. Then the people who made BIOS chips got all pissy and they changed their name to Firebird. Then Pontiac got all pissy and they changed their name to Firefox and made a logo of a fox yiffing the Earth. They've been an organization of furries from that point on.

firebird was some kind of database nobody heard of before or since, not the Pontiac.