Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Gothsheep posted:

I absolutely understand why it can feel like that when you first pick it up. There are basically 3 stages to playing the Charge Blade: Fumbling around with the mechanics wishing you were on something that just worked the way you wanted it, getting into a clean pattern of charging up power and unleashing Super-Amped Elemental Discharge attacks, and starting to learn all the other stuff it does and working them into your combos while you line up better SAED attacks.

EDIT: And if you ever find yourself actually working guard points into your combos than you're clearly just a showoff so get out of my face. :colbert:
And in the last video, thisway is still mostly in the first stage, which you can tell in that he didn't quite get into the groove of charging the phials when the sword overheats and before doing the SAED yet, which is normal when learning how to use this weapon because of its complexity and "rythm" it requires.
Of all the weapons I've tried (one day I'll get around using the Gunlance, DBs or the IG), the Charge Blade is the one that requires the most commitment to get decent with, and players that have learned to weave guard points in along their attacks to deal with a monster's attack pattern are a sight to behold.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I forget if it's been mentioned, but Guard Points have a follow-up counter. If you successfully get hit during a Guard Point, you can go straight into an SAED immediately after without any of the setup it usually takes to get one out. Honestly I hate Guard Points because they serve to remind me of how I'm still not actually good with the weapon because I never do them.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

We're taking a step down to low rank again to take on the mated pair of dragons. With better armor and weapons than we should have originally had taking them on, it won't be too tough a challenge... right?

Sorry for the delay in getting this up. Had it ready a lot sooner but Youtube gonna Youtube.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
One of the things I don't like about this game are the cheesecake-y female armors. Like here's a set that provides ice defense that's basically hot pants and shin guards with an exposed midriff and a boob window. Yes, I'm sure that's very useful in the snow. I'd like to look like something other than an exotic dancer on Halloween, devs.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

SubponticatePoster posted:

One of the things I don't like about this game are the cheesecake-y female armors. Like here's a set that provides ice defense that's basically hot pants and shin guards with an exposed midriff and a boob window. Yes, I'm sure that's very useful in the snow. I'd like to look like something other than an exotic dancer on Halloween, devs.

There's a decent amount of sexy girl armor, but if I remember right, there's also plenty of female armor that's fully covering and armors that are all big bulky plate armor, properly covering stuff. Right near the start of the latest vid they showed off the Alloy armor set; it's basically almost the same between male and female, except female has her visor up along with a few minor differences. And the Paolumu armor looks more cutesy and girly on the female but it still fully covers the body. And I'm pretty sure there's some dude armors that're revealing too.

Female armor definitely tends to be sexier than male usually, but I appreciate that there's a good mix of sexy armor and 'practical' looking armor.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I don't mind the odd piece of cheesecake armor but do prefer practical sets. Honestly, I could do without the gratuitous panty shot I get from most sets when Fiona is crawling through a small tunnel...

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
To be honest, it kind of feels like there are two different teams that takes turn regarding the female armour sets. I donīt mind some cheesecake but there are some armour sets that feels quite off, so to speak.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I just have the cool winter layered set they give you in Iceborn on all the time regardless of what I'm actually wearing.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I was trying not to bring up the layered armor mechanic by name until Bricks actually covered it since I was expecting it to come up as soon as we entered HR since that's when the mechanic opens for anyone who didn't get the deluxe kits or Iceborne's pre-order bonus.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

To be fair, I'll be using layered armor next episode to hide our mismatched outfit.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
That was the intended purpose of of layered armor though fashion hunters like me like to make purely aesthetic mixed sets or if there's a piece of that looks cool or funny but isn't useful in terms of stats then people can wear the layered version.

In fact prior to Iceborne, Layered armor was made via delivery quests whose descriptions involved the Second Fleet Master calling your mixed armor set a 'clown suit' and wanting make layered armor to hide it so you don't look ridiculous.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I guess the lesson here is Rathalos/thian is always an rear end in a top hat.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

Speaking of...

After spending all that time tracking down the unusual footprints, we finally find what it is: A rare Pink Rathian! With an extra armored hide, poison or fire at it's disposal, and a mean attitude at altitude, will this be the next creature to take down Fiona?

Edit: VV D'oh. What I get for posting this after a double shift

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 11, 2020

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Did you mean Rathian? Because that certainly isn't a Rathalos.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

SaffronKit posted:

Did you mean Rathian? Because that certainly isn't a Rathalos.

No she is not which makes Bricks and and Ice's constant referring to her as him all the more baffling.

I'm actually surprised you mentioned the Iceborne's layered armor update since even though the layered armor is the HR gear, the layered versions are not gonna be available until post IB's story which also happens to be a useful place for the Geologist and Fortify skills especially if you're trying to farm for that layered armor sets as I did.

High Rank's selection of Layered Armor is fairly limited at least during the main story and is tied to very specific Event Quests and the seasonal festivals though what you do get is pretty good for fashion hunting before Iceborne.

I do like that you're using the diving suit layered set for the Coral Highlands. Playing around with layered sets in conjugation with the Handler's outfit can lead to very comical results.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
You mentioned monsters not turf war-ing unless they're on 'home turf' this video; I can think of one exception to that off the top of my head: Odogaron will sometimes show up in the Coral Highlands, and has a turf war with Paolumu, but Odo's home is definitely in the Rotten Vale.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

ousire posted:

You mentioned monsters not turf war-ing unless they're on 'home turf' this video; I can think of one exception to that off the top of my head: Odogaron will sometimes show up in the Coral Highlands, and has a turf war with Paolumu, but Odo's home is definitely in the Rotten Vale.

Yeah, it'll be more evident in Iceborne but turf war is less about territory and more about monster combination.

Certain monsters just do not give a drat about each other as there is no turf war programmed for them while other monster combinations have a turf war that is either only possible under special conditions or was programmed to be used by related monsters.

Odogaron falls into the both categories as he has turf wars with several Flying Wyverns besides Paolumu, including Rathalos.

Gorka
Aug 18, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Iirc some monsters are considered invasive and can be found in more than one locale, and Odogaron might be considered invasive, as well as at least one other monster that has been hinted at in the pink rath vid. Actually for Odogaron I guess it's just that they liked the monster a lot, so he has a lot of turf wars.

Also, that diving layered armor looks like either Plesioth scales or color-scheme wise that inflatable shark monster from MH4 with yellow fins.

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

I appreciate that monsters will still fight each other even if they don't have a turf war built in. That extra damage really helps.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Gorka posted:

Iirc some monsters are considered invasive and can be found in more than one locale, and Odogaron might be considered invasive, as well as at least one other monster that has been hinted at in the pink rath vid.

There is a way for Rathalos and Odie to cross paths in Iceborne but that scenario ties into stuff introduced in Iceborne so I can't say too much about it.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 23, 2021

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

We dive back into low rank for a very important fight: Our very first Elder Dragon! Quite unlike anything else in the game, Kirin is an exciting yet tough challenge for most players. He also helps drive home how serious we'll need to be about preparing for some of the bigger fights.

Ice wanted to mention he knows an elder dragon's rage mode isn't technically referred to as elder seal; It's just how we got used to calling it over time

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I assume you meant you can't tranquilize Elders since regular sleep inducing items such as Bowgun's Sleep Ammo, Bow's Sleep Coating, Drugged Meat, Sleep Knives and the Sleeptoad you can find in the Coral Highlands does effect them.

Hammer, Lance, Light Bowgun and Heavy Bowgun have also been around since the first Monster Hunter game. Long Sword didn't get added until Freedom 2 alongside Hunting Horn and Gunlance while Tri added Switch Axe and 4 gave us the Charge Blade and Insect Glaive.

Also, I think Ice got Kirin mixed up with another monster (possibly the one you hinted at in this video) that you have to fight two of before Kirin to unlock your hunter rank.

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

Good ol' kelbidrome. Kirin was a freaking nightmare to fight in the old games. I used to hate this monster, but I really enjoy it in World. Having decent movement and camera control really helps.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Kirin is an interesting fight, and while it's not my favorite enemy, I do appreciate that it's a horse.

Chimera-gui posted:

I assume you meant you can't tranquilize Elders since regular sleep inducing items such as Bowgun's Sleep Ammo, Bow's Sleep Coating, Drugged Meat, Sleep Knives and the Sleeptoad you can find in the Coral Highlands does effect them.

Yep, the big thing with Elder Dragons is that you can't capture them (and the mission target changes from "hunt" to "slay" to reflect this.) Other status ailments still generally apply as if they were normal monsters.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

King of Solomon posted:

Yep, the big thing with Elder Dragons is that you can't capture them (and the mission target changes from "hunt" to "slay" to reflect this.) Other status ailments still generally apply as if they were normal monsters.

Which is also why the Commander's plan to capture Zorah were doomed to failure from the start.

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

You'd think a commander with 40 years of experience in a research commission sent to study a phenomenon specifically linked to elder dragons would know better.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Chimera-gui posted:

Which is also why the Commander's plan to capture Zorah were doomed to failure from the start.

To be fair, I think the lore reason is that they're too dangerous to capture. Imagine the carnage a Kirin could get up to if it was in Astera, even tied down.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

King of Solomon posted:

To be fair, I think the lore reason is that they're too dangerous to capture. Imagine the carnage a Kirin could get up to if it was in Astera, even tied down.

Oh I can believe that being the in-universe reason you can't catch Elders even if they weren't just straight up immune to traps.

Hell, Iceborne's last title monster, who's joining a week from now at the time of this post, is infamous for the havoc he wreaked on human civilization.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 2, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Kirin set being popular to make into a costume might also be a matter of needing to buy fewer materials :v:

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

We dive into a new area, The Elder Recess and challenge not one, but two of the dangerous creatures within! Using Nergigante's tracks, we hope to use him to understand more about what drove Zorah towards this location.

Note: Later on we'll be tackling the other beasties and covering some of the 'upgrades' current ones may have so try not to spoil too much!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
That comment about the Admiral not using a weapon reminds me, I'd love it if Monster Hunter Rise added a punch/kick weapon, like brass knuckles and bladed greaves or something.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
There are no new weapons in Rise, this has been officially confirmed.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

That comment about the Admiral not using a weapon reminds me, I'd love it if Monster Hunter Rise added a punch/kick weapon, like brass knuckles and bladed greaves or something.

That's still too weapony. What if the equippable item was a bottle of special rubbing oils used to harden the skin on your fists or something?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Chimera-gui posted:

There are no new weapons in Rise, this has been officially confirmed.

Oh well, that's a shame.

The Lone Badger posted:

That's still too weapony. What if the equippable item was a bottle of special rubbing oils used to harden the skin on your fists or something?

That would also be cool, but think of all the wild skins, plates, and spikes they could throw on gauntlets and boots for this kind of thing.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
A couple of notes/trivia about this episode: first off, while Uragaan might look like an upgraded Radobaan, it's actually a much older monster who has been present in quite a few games and Radobaan is the new one introduced in this very game.
Second, Dodogama quickly became a bit of a mascot for World, and given how he looks that was to be expected. That said, since you killed it in the hunt, you are the real monster. :v:
Gastodons are indeed extremely annoying to have around since, as you've mentioned, they tend to be really aggressive; however if they charge a monster they can deal a surprising amount of stun damage, which will reliably stagger them and can even KO one out if you luck out. It is generally better to just kill them first or not fight near them though.
And as a bit of a nitpick, Blast is considered an Abnormal Status rather than an Element: the main difference between the two is that elements add their value to the damage dealt with hitting a monster with a weapon, while abnormal status build up until they reach a threshold and activate, just like we've seen previously with Poison weapons and with Stun delivered from weapons like the Hammer and Hunting Horn. And yeah, it's a really good all-rounder effect to have on a weapon if one doesn't want to deal with a monster's elemental resistances/weaknesses while blastblight is really something you don't want to let activate since it can hurt quite a lot (given that you literally explode).

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

We explored the Elder Recess last time and saw this beastie, but time to actually take on the burning challenge that is Lavasioth! Since we break out a ranged weapon, the light bowgun, I figured it was time to get some new armor as well!

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
Quick Question from somone who only knows this gamew trough this LP:

When you get the same skill from multiple armor piesces, do they stack?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Arban posted:

Quick Question from somone who only knows this gamew trough this LP:

When you get the same skill from multiple armor piesces, do they stack?

Depends on the skill. Most skills have "levels," which are represented by those blocks on the skills in the armor pieces. So for example, with Attack Boost, you can stack skills until you get to level 7. By contrast, Affinity Sliding only has a single level, so if you have multiple armor pieces with that skill on it and nothing else, you're wasting a slot because it doesn't stack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

King of Solomon pretty much hit the nail on the head. Each skill has a 'level cap' on how high it can go. It's not just armor though! We can add skill jewels to our armor slots and charms are designed to add more skills. A few armors later on will also have set bonuses that let you get more use out of a skill, even if it's at it's cap (like extra poison damage).