Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 89 days!
bump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

*gas*

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

best snipe I’ve seen in ages

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

well I know who I'm voting for now.

Jeb!

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Oh me? Yeah I’m communist. That’s why I’m voting for BERNIE in 2020! Overton window much?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Sounds like your just another authoritarian to me. I'm an anarchist that's why I'm voting for Joe Biden like Noam Chomsky.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

remember when we were naive enough to think that bernie could win, when it wasn't obvious that the system had built-in self-corrective procedures to reorganize itself and rewrite the rules to guard against that outcome. an open chessboard-flipping the likes of which we hadn't seen in america since the florida recount.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i mean plenty of people were saying that. people who had been engaged in politics on the left way longer than me, and they were right

but like, we all needed the lesson and I was prepared to try for a good thing despite recognizing that everyone that had been doing this for a while was completely blackpilled already

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

The optimism around bernie was imo built around the idea that he was advocating class consciousness as part of his platform. A lot of his supporters mistakenly believed class consciousness already existed and would be realized once the votes were tallied. This lead to a lot of inane bullshit like “oh once covid really kicks off people will take direct action to *demand* health care reform” that never materialized. It’s really not that hard to build class consciousness within local circles but if you bet the farm on bernie winning and then got blackpilled, I’m sorry you never understood the game in the first place.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
drat didnt know Saagonsa been doing that since 2020

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the democrats are outwardly decorum and rules obsessed weirdos so it took actual signs of rigging, and the 'above board' ratfucking as well, to make me realize the game was absolutely rigged and was never, ever going to allow bernie to get near the presidency. I figured it would just be difficult, and require a large enough movement to ram his candidacy past the machine sociopaths, but nah.

I think this was the experience of most people that were baptized into politics/political activism via Bernie. I felt the burn in the end.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Bernie Sanders

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
bernie panders

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

remember when we were naive enough to think that bernie could win, when it wasn't obvious that the system had built-in self-corrective procedures to reorganize itself and rewrite the rules to guard against that outcome. an open chessboard-flipping the likes of which we hadn't seen in america since the florida recount.

Ah, painful memories

E: worst thing is my sort of conservative relatives being all "even you realize that left wing stuff doesn't work" and trying to correct them by saying "left wing stuff isn't possible due to the entrenched power structures and narrative capture in the media and..." and just giving up and changing the topic to sports lol

Shageletic has issued a correction as of 15:51 on Feb 15, 2023

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I feel like most realized it was a long shot but it was our only chance so it had to be taken.
The real lesson for me came from how brazenly the dem party boxed him out despite the fact that even if he did make it to the presidency, the industries Bernie wanted to take on would have spent billions of dollars to keep any change from happening. Like...there was no real chance that Bernie could do much and they still knee capped him.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

If nothing else an institution that's designed to elevate specific people who pay their dues and wait their turn would be 100% against anything that undermined their own time and soul invesmtent in the climb. Those ghouls sink and attach themselves to the party machine and expect to be rewarded for it lol

Bernie would have laid lip service to that at best

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
This thread's a real blast from the past, especially watching us post right through early March 2020 as if it was gonna be a normal election

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I don't think there's anything wrong with optimism and hope, as long as you try to stay sort of realistic. I don't regret doing stuff in Bernie's "movement" (whatever that means). I met nice people, I made my best friends, it developed me as a person, etc. It's just bittersweet memories at this point.

Nonetheless, it is very hard to think back to the New Hampshire Bernie and The Strokes concert.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 89 days!
maybe the real politics was the friends we made along hte way

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

croup coughfield posted:

maybe the real politics was the friends we made along hte way

Kind of. I don't think we can stop the misery machine that started before we were born.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 89 days!

Nichael posted:

Kind of. I don't think we can stop the misery machine that started before we were born.

i can see that

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It's real fun to catch up with what the people who did Iowa are up to these days.

Troy Price, the chair of the Iowa dems, is now the executive director of NH dems.
Tara McGowan, CEO of Acronym (which owned Shadow Inc) is now CEO of Good Information Inc, the 66 million dollar NGO in charge of "fighting disinformation" (and the whole Iowa debacle has been scrubbed from her wikipedia page)
Her husband is now senior advisor to Pete in the DOT
Gerard Niemira, CEO of Shadow Inc, is now the managing director of Higher Ground Labs, the "the progressive tech incubator"

Isn't it such a funny coincidence that all the people responsible for the most embarrassing blunder in recent history of the democratic party all somehow managed to get good jobs in places closely aligned to the democratic party?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

It was literally called "Shadow Inc" lmao

It's some Sonic tier writing.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

*Chuckles* you mean the chaos election apps?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

slurnie klanders

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Nichael posted:

CHINAS UNDER MARTIAL LAW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

World War Mammories posted:

slurnie klanders

slurnie kkklanders