Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The savage encounters actually make me kind of mad because in true SMT fashion, it's possible that if the enemy team plays their cards right the encounter will actually be unwinnable. In games where you can save anywhere, I forget to save literally all the time, and this game doesn't have any sort of nice autosave thing just in case you blow it. I've only lost five minutes worth of progress, but now I've died enough to them that I'm doing the opposite where I'm saving literally every 2 minutes and all the menuing time starts to add up

Sometimes they'll spawn in a cluster of enemies and be virtually unavoidable too. It'd be fine if they were able to be stunned with a sword but as of now they're basically floating game overs unless you get really lucky with the turn order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The savage encounters actually make me kind of mad because in true SMT fashion, it's possible that if the enemy team plays their cards right the encounter will actually be unwinnable. In games where you can save anywhere, I forget to save literally all the time, and this game doesn't have any sort of nice autosave thing just in case you blow it. I've only lost five minutes worth of progress, but now I've died enough to them that I'm doing the opposite where I'm saving literally every 2 minutes and all the menuing time starts to add up

Sometimes they'll spawn in a cluster of enemies and be virtually unavoidable too. It'd be fine if they were able to be stunned with a sword but as of now they're basically floating game overs unless you get really lucky with the turn order

I've lost an hour plus of progress on forgetting to save and not having any autosaving whatsoever twice now. I'm just so used to games autosaving these days that now I'm doing the same thing you're describing and saving all the time.

Also earlier I had a trap sprung on me in a dungeon where 3 normal enemies spawn in a circle around you and when I ran away, two savage encounters spawned which I couldn't avoid anymore. I then got insta-session-skilled to death and that was that.

Can someone give me a dummy guide to the combat? I feel like I'm doing things right but everyone keeps saying the game seems so easy and I'm only playing on normal and I'm getting my rear end beat real badly. I try to focus on weaknesses and Session combos and all that stuff, but enemies seem to do a ridiculous amount of damage sometimes. Once they start hitting weaknesses and hitting me with combos, people usually die and once I have to waste a single turn on a res I'm stuck in a loop of just getting smashed to death.

Especially when I'm outnumbered (which seems to happen like all the time with just a party of 3), I can barely get through. I just fought the boss of Chapter 2 and I hit an absolute brick wall when I got there naturally. He summons 4 dudes and gets to attack twice. A single one of his attacks took off like half Itsukis HP and it just wasn't happening. I could maybe kill one of his goons before I died horribly.

My eventual solution was to farm EXP tomes in the DLC dungeon and overlevel all my chars to like level 25 and even then I still struggled and barely made it through that fight. I'm not quite sure what to improve on as far as fighting goes but I'm really struggling a lot. I'm not usually this terrible at RPGs I don't think :(

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
1) Are you upgrading your weapons properly?

2) Are you upgrading your gear from the canbrea (sp?) shop?

3) Start the boss fight with a full session bar to do massive damage+hit weakness.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Buy 99 Smoke escape items from Nega Anna

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Tae posted:

2) Are you upgrading your gear from the canbrea (sp?) shop?

Carabia.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Don't forget you can leave dungeons at any time, and heal for like 160 yen at any soda machine.

The arena also has a free heal spot in it but that's too far to run.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
I've never been Surprise Attacked by enemies so I've always been able to Smoke Machine out of Savage Encounters that are too far above me. Once you get Slowma dodging encounters becomes free (and you need it for that dungeon you get it, it's almost entirely corridors).

Are skills you replace/forfeit gone forever? Or is there a way to remaster old weapons?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

pray for my aunt posted:

I've never been Surprise Attacked by enemies so I've always been able to Smoke Machine out of Savage Encounters that are too far above me. Once you get Slowma dodging encounters becomes free (and you need it for that dungeon you get it, it's almost entirely corridors).

Are skills you replace/forfeit gone forever? Or is there a way to remaster old weapons?

There is a way to remaster old weapons, I just can't remember what it was because it's been like 5 years since the last time I played this game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In Chapter 4 you can reforge old weapons. They get their skill list back and also new ones.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

abraxas posted:

Can someone give me a dummy guide to the combat?

To be fair, I remember the second boss clowning on me kind of hard when I originally played it. The first boss two, but I just beat it on my first try, despite the fact that I ran out of revives, I wasn't willing to redo the fight.

But yeah, you need to go into boss fights with a max special bar so you can rush down all the summons. I'm not sure if this works on every boss, but on the first one if you leave one summon alive they won't spawn more so you can avoid getting overwhelmed. Unfortunately, there's not a ton of customization you can do with this game in so far that your character builds can't be significantly changed to impact your chances in a fight. Because of that, really difficult fights do tend to just turn into level checks - you can't really play "better" because the correct move each turn is usually pretty clear. I got instakilled by the first miniboss at level 5, then came back at level 7 and clowned it. Fortunately, all the weapon and skill learning means that you're getting more than just levels out of it.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

I’m really enjoying this on the switch. Never played the main SMT games but I’ve played P4 and P5 and while I like the art direction of P5 more TMS just aesthetically and I like the Hold Up mechanic a little bit more than sessions I really like the lack of busy work and scheduling in TMS. And that I can save anywhere. Combined with Switch sleep it’s a fantastic quick pick up and go. I’m jazzed for SMT V now, I think I really like the style of game but the social aspect and time management of the Persona titles I find a bit draining by the end.

Questions - I assume that there comes a point when managing resists by swapping weapons becomes important? Right now I just equip my latest carnage because it always has better damage, but on Tsubasa the latest upgrade is a wash damage wise and I’m thinking now resists are what I should be watching.

Also I feel like I don’t know what cast to run with since I don’t know what’s coming. What’s everyone’s favorite group?

Game good, perfect for Switch play on my commute.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Not really, you just buy more healing items and buff/debuff stones. And at a certain point (halfway?) you get a party member that makes living not a problem anymore.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Tae posted:

Not really, you just buy more healing items and buff/debuff stones. And at a certain point (halfway?) you get a party member that makes living not a problem anymore.

Huh ok - cool, I haven’t hit that point yet. That reminds me, significant items seem ridiculously cheap. Full hp and Ep heal for 160? Ok. Revive curries are kind of pricey comparatively but still cheap. This is a good thing btw, not making slam my dick in a door to progress is appreciated.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You don't put debuffs and heals on your party members to learn, you stack as many non-dark skills to hit weaknesses as possible. You buy all your smoke machines/debuffs/buffs/heals from the store, because you get tons of money from doing sessions.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

squirrelzipper posted:

Also I feel like I don’t know what cast to run with since I don’t know what’s coming. What’s everyone’s favorite group?

Don't worry too much about it; TMS lets you switch the characters in your current party mid-combat. Itsuki can't swap out since he's the leader, but the other two party members can and should be rotated to help you hit weaknesses and form session chains more easily.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Arena doesn't though, for that I typically use Kiria because she learns 3 different elements pretty early. The 3rd spot is Tsubasa if I'm not sure it's going to be a walk, or a character that doesn't have Open Audition yet if it is.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Finished Chapter 2 and did the first chapter of the EX Side Story dungeon. It’s been a real blast going through this game again, doubly so since I lost the charger for the Wii U tablet and was to lazy to look for a new one

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Tae posted:

Tms was made years before p5.

TMS came out in december '15 and P5 in september '16, so not even a full year apart...

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

BOY the boss of EX Story 3 is brutal. Worst part is I cant even cheat and find answers online. Music is a bop though.

pray for my aunt fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 26, 2020

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

pray for my aunt posted:

BOY the boss of EX Story 3 is brutal. Worst part is I cant even cheat and find answers online. Music is a bop though.

What’s brutal about it? I beat it and can’t remember having an issue. If you wanna refresh my memory what the boss is and what problem you’re having I can try remember what I did to beat it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I can't believe I slept on this game when it came out on the Wii U. It's really scratching my Persona itch without having to worry about time management and social links and whatnot. Set the game to easy and honestly between that and the EXP/Mastery dungeons DLC being in the game by default, this game has been the definition of cozy rear end gaming.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

What’s brutal about it? I beat it and can’t remember having an issue. If you wanna refresh my memory what the boss is and what problem you’re having I can try remember what I did to beat it.

My first couple of attempts just didn't go well at all, but I got it down. I'll spoiler this because it's a fun boss and I don't want to ruin mechanics. I didn't realise the adds had a weakness you can session at first so the boss was taking a ton of turns, attack mirror cheese isn't so good since he heals off his own drain, and coming back with Null Dark weapons helped a lot. He also just has a lot a lot a lot of hp.

That fight and some others have had some really fun mechanics.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Do the weapons unlocked by a class change stay unlocked if I flip to the other one, or do I need to make sure to them first?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I tried it and made the weapons and flipped back and it hasn’t locked them. The one I couldn’t make as I didn’t have materials for just yet is still showing in my sword list so I think they stay, but can’t 100% confirm just yet.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The Ch.4 boss felt way easier and faster than I remembered it being which is weird since I’m on hard but w/e. Turns out having Touma be immune to sword makes a difference

I’m drowning under the number of side quests I just unlocked, I probably should have started Ch.5 and the big dungeon retread while I was doing some of these anyways

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/WT_Fits/status/1221934643965882368

GOONS! :argh:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Touma said he's gonna wait for me in front of Anzu for this side story. Where is Anzu? I keep running in circles.

Edit: found it. Turns out it's not in Shibuya.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 28, 2020

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

Touma said he's gonna wait for me in front of Anzu for this side story. Where is Anzu? I keep running in circles.

Anzu is the costume shop in Harajuku

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's something funny about Touma trying to reach his goal of making a little boy smile by trying to appeal to a female demographic.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I haven't played a real SMT game in years, but this looks like SMT/Persona but with songs and, I assume, less dick wagons.

Worth $60? I'm debating it

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I haven't played a real SMT game in years, but this looks like SMT/Persona but with songs and, I assume, less dick wagons.

Yeah for me it was absolutely. It doesn’t have the cool jazz art direction and music of P5 which I loved - but I found the pacing better and the overall shtick is good and consistent if very J Pop - which is kind of the point. Anyway, games good but it is a high entry fee, I found it totally worth the money.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i would say it depends on how much smt you want out of your smt and if you are ok with the answer being "they def used tms and not smt because it isnt smt" then itll probably be fine

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

TMS taught me that it's a good thing I have never played an actual SMT game because I was crushed by the dungeon puzzles

Huge fan of everything about the game but that!

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I got about 40 hours worth of playtime out of this game (just finished it yesterday), doing every side quest and making sure to grind out some characters towards the end (although I didn't touch the arena at all). Overall a v. enjoyable experience even if it isn't really an SMT game.

I guess there's also a new game+ where you can swap out itsuki but i probably won't be doing that this year.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Erg posted:

TMS taught me that it's a good thing I have never played an actual SMT game because I was crushed by the dungeon puzzles

Huge fan of everything about the game but that!

SMT in general doesn't really have dungeon puzzles in that sense.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

I got about 40 hours worth of playtime out of this game (just finished it yesterday), doing every side quest and making sure to grind out some characters towards the end (although I didn't touch the arena at all). Overall a v. enjoyable experience even if it isn't really an SMT game.

I guess there's also a new game+ where you can swap out itsuki but i probably won't be doing that this year.

40h for $60 is a pretty expensive bar for me honestly. I also never do NG+ or NG++++ or whatever, since I have a thousand literal other games to play on various platforms.

If it was $30 I'd buy it immediately. Does it go on sale often?

As for SMT, I am not as much of a fan of the dungeon crawl make the map aspect (I find it tedious) like in Strange Journey, but I noticed the similar named spells and the perceived "difficulty" for battles, at least in the video talking about what to do. I like the weirdness aspect of Persona and SMT, lore wise. I do not like the timed aspects of Persona, however, I find that stressful.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

As for SMT, I am not as much of a fan of the dungeon crawl make the map aspect (I find it tedious) like in Strange Journey, but I noticed the similar named spells and the perceived "difficulty" for battles, at least in the video talking about what to do. I like the weirdness aspect of Persona and SMT, lore wise. I do not like the timed aspects of Persona, however, I find that stressful.

If you don't care for the daily life management aspects of Persona, you don't have to worry about that for TMS. Each chapter is pretty much its own self-contained part of the larger narrative, and there's no time pressure to get a dungeon cleared by a certain deadline like in Persona. Also, sidequests can be done as soon as you unlock them, even if you're currently in the middle of a dungeon for the story; you're free to just leave the dungeon, go take care of your party member's issues so they can unlock a new skill, then dive right back into the dungeon where you left off. And at the end of each chapter, there's a brief intermission period before moving on to the next story chapter to allow you to clean up any remaining sidequests if you'd prefer to not interrupt the flow of the story instead.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

GreenBuckanneer posted:

40h for $60 is a pretty expensive bar for me honestly. I also never do NG+ or NG++++ or whatever, since I have a thousand literal other games to play on various platforms.

If it was $30 I'd buy it immediately. Does it go on sale often?

I don't really know about sales. I know nintendo can be pretty bad about it, so I wouldn't expect it to drop in price any time soon. I should say that the game probably would be more around 45-50 hours, as this wasn't my first time playing it (although it was my first time beating it, I just actually cleared the final dungeon this time). You could probably add a little bit more onto that if you enjoy grinding as this game enables it, but definitely does not make it necessary.

The timing aspects of persona do not factor into this game at all. You can casually wander in and out of dungeons and your own leisure and put off social links/side quests until the very last boss if you want to (the game will also warn you when they will no longer be available, too).

The weirdness aspect of SMT/Persona is also toned down, as well. It's very much a budget game and you'll see the same 10 variations of fire-emblem-like creatures throughout the game. Although it's replaced with the different weirdness of everyone being a J-Pop Idol and performing songs to kill enemies and buff your party.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The game is in this weird place where it feels like they had a really ambitious idea for the style, but then played it extremely safe with the actual writing. Itsuki and Tsubasa have that main character curse where they're the least interesting characters in the party and everything has to focus on them instead of characters like Kiria or Elanora.

In general I feel like I haven't really gotten much out of the 45ish hours I've put into the game, which is a shame. I'm in presumably the endgame, and I'd say the game is pretty much just alright. I remember the initial trailer for the game got people interested (if only because we were all confused) but in the time after that, I didn't really see anyone talk about the gameplay, and I understand why. The battle system is fine for what it is, but there's really nothing to say. The whole Session thing is an interesting take on the extra turn system SMT usually uses, but the way it works out I don't really think about how to utilize them in any way other than hitting weaknesses and I'll probably have everyone else join in. That's also the only gimmick the game has. It's a decent game, and I'm glad I finally got to play it, but it's not really anything special.

I will say that I think the Mirage designs are pretty good though. I imagine the game's FE representation has been done to death so I won't bother, but I do think they at the very least have some cool looks to them. Kiria's Carnage form sucks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Momomo posted:

The game is in this weird place where it feels like they had a really ambitious idea for the style, but then played it extremely safe with the actual writing. Itsuki and Tsubasa have that main character curse where they're the least interesting characters in the party and everything has to focus on them instead of characters like Kiria or Elanora.

It also has the unfortunate anime protagonist thing where Itsuki is the least interesting person in the world but every girl in the game is secretly in love with him. Compared to Persona where it largely isn't the case unless you actively choose romantic options in social links.
The best thing going for the writing is that the game occasionally does have some pretty funny moments.

The style is certainly what makes the game unique though I feel a bit too much resources were put into making flashy music videos and attack animations that would have been better spent fleshing out the actual game. It feels like you visit the same 4 dungeons too much and there are sections of the main story which feel obviously restricted by budget / padding out the length of the game.

Momomo posted:

The battle system is fine for what it is, but there's really nothing to say. The whole Session thing is an interesting take on the extra turn system SMT usually uses, but the way it works out I don't really think about how to utilize them in any way other than hitting weaknesses and I'll probably have everyone else join in.

It's a bit funny that you never have to put any real thought into things like what session skills to give to a character or which attack will pull off the most sessions, unless maybe you are playing on lunatic which I haven't tried yet.
The most interesting aspect of the system is actually enemy sessions since in every boss fight you will have to balance between fighting the boss and taking care of the adds that will session off of the boss's main attacks. Though again bosses with adds isn't exactly a new idea in itself.
And toward the end of the game, even with fast forward on I got tired of watching every attack hit 9+ times, can't imagine playing the original without fast forward on Wii U. Which funny enough led me to avoid fights a lot of the time and came out pretty underleveled for the final boss.

Yeah it's mostly a decent but just "OK" game, it's certainly not better than Persona 5 as some people would claim. Though at the moment it's the only SMT related title on the Switch (in English)

By the way on a random note this game was pretty funny for me having grown up as a Mac user in the dark period of the 90s, since I grew up using a "Performa" model Mac and everyone in this game is constantly talking about "Performa" like it's the most important thing in the universe.