Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Are there adjustable difficulties from the start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Momomo posted:

The game is in this weird place where it feels like they had a really ambitious idea for the style, but then played it extremely safe with the actual writing. Itsuki and Tsubasa have that main character curse where they're the least interesting characters in the party and everything has to focus on them instead of characters like Kiria or Elanora.

It also has the unfortunate anime protagonist thing where Itsuki is the least interesting person in the world but every girl in the game is secretly in love with him. Compared to Persona where it largely isn't the case unless you actively choose romantic options in social links.
The best thing going for the writing is that the game occasionally does have some pretty funny moments.

The style is certainly what makes the game unique though I feel a bit too much resources were put into making flashy music videos and attack animations that would have been better spent fleshing out the actual game. It feels like you visit the same 4 dungeons too much and there are sections of the main story which feel obviously restricted by budget / padding out the length of the game.

Momomo posted:

The battle system is fine for what it is, but there's really nothing to say. The whole Session thing is an interesting take on the extra turn system SMT usually uses, but the way it works out I don't really think about how to utilize them in any way other than hitting weaknesses and I'll probably have everyone else join in.

It's a bit funny that you never have to put any real thought into things like what session skills to give to a character or which attack will pull off the most sessions, unless maybe you are playing on lunatic which I haven't tried yet.
The most interesting aspect of the system is actually enemy sessions since in every boss fight you will have to balance between fighting the boss and taking care of the adds that will session off of the boss's main attacks. Though again bosses with adds isn't exactly a new idea in itself.
And toward the end of the game, even with fast forward on I got tired of watching every attack hit 9+ times, can't imagine playing the original without fast forward on Wii U. Which funny enough led me to avoid fights a lot of the time and came out pretty underleveled for the final boss.

Yeah it's mostly a decent but just "OK" game, it's certainly not better than Persona 5 as some people would claim. Though at the moment it's the only SMT related title on the Switch (in English)

By the way on a random note this game was pretty funny for me having grown up as a Mac user in the dark period of the 90s, since I grew up using a "Performa" model Mac and everyone in this game is constantly talking about "Performa" like it's the most important thing in the universe.