Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Seeing this game get re-released really makes me want to play it. I've got a copy of it. I have my WiiU. I could easily plug in the WiiU and play the game. That's all I have to do why do I want to buy this again on the Switch what is wrong with me

But anyways I think this might have been the hardest I've ever bounced off of a game. I absolutely loved it clearing through the first dungeon but then at some point I started thinking that the dungeons were lasting too long and the puzzles were not super fun and I was begging the game for an Axe user. Also the Mirage designs are very polarizing and I'm very much in the "wow I hate them" camp. But I feel like none of those things are enough to stop me from trying again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think all the difficulties are just that, so you don't need to worry about missing anything. That being said, after making my sixth trip between the first dungeon and Tiki to forge more weapons I'm starting to remember some of my original problems with the game.

It's also worth mentioning that apparently the game languished in a state of "having absolutely no idea what to do" for a long time until they finally decided on something resembling the final result. This game is actually really interesting in that sense, contextually, where this game is explicitly a Persona (let's admit it they didn't actually do any SMT here it's all Persona)spinoff game, and yet this game has less in common with Persona than Three Houses does. I'm not sure if leaving all of the things they tried here on the cutting room floor when it came to make their next game is a good sign or bad sign, but when you consider how 3H turned out maybe it was for the best

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Stux posted:

its actually way less persona or smt than i was expecting but im still enjoying it. the combat system uses the same basic idea but does a new thing instead of smt press turns and persona all out attacks. it is very easy though even on hard.

It makes me do the thing where the game is so easy that I skip doing almost any battles and then get to a mini/boss fight and get instakilled via enemy session, then you go and gain maybe two levels and then clown the fight

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The savage encounters actually make me kind of mad because in true SMT fashion, it's possible that if the enemy team plays their cards right the encounter will actually be unwinnable. In games where you can save anywhere, I forget to save literally all the time, and this game doesn't have any sort of nice autosave thing just in case you blow it. I've only lost five minutes worth of progress, but now I've died enough to them that I'm doing the opposite where I'm saving literally every 2 minutes and all the menuing time starts to add up

Sometimes they'll spawn in a cluster of enemies and be virtually unavoidable too. It'd be fine if they were able to be stunned with a sword but as of now they're basically floating game overs unless you get really lucky with the turn order

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

abraxas posted:

Can someone give me a dummy guide to the combat?

To be fair, I remember the second boss clowning on me kind of hard when I originally played it. The first boss two, but I just beat it on my first try, despite the fact that I ran out of revives, I wasn't willing to redo the fight.

But yeah, you need to go into boss fights with a max special bar so you can rush down all the summons. I'm not sure if this works on every boss, but on the first one if you leave one summon alive they won't spawn more so you can avoid getting overwhelmed. Unfortunately, there's not a ton of customization you can do with this game in so far that your character builds can't be significantly changed to impact your chances in a fight. Because of that, really difficult fights do tend to just turn into level checks - you can't really play "better" because the correct move each turn is usually pretty clear. I got instakilled by the first miniboss at level 5, then came back at level 7 and clowned it. Fortunately, all the weapon and skill learning means that you're getting more than just levels out of it.