Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I dunno if I'm just not far enough into the game yet or if I'm expecting too much coming from P5, but while I really enjoy the game so far, I feel like the combat could stand to be a bit flashier. Even the whatever-skills (essentially your supers when your bar is charged) look kind of underwhelming. I can't really put my finger on it, nothing's bad or turning me off the game, I just always catch myself thinking "man that could've used some extra fancy shmancy effects" or something along those lines. Something to make the attacks, especially the bigger ones, feel more special. So far it's just 3 people standing in a circle stabbing various things at enemies.

As an example (Chapter 1 Boss Spoilers): The cutscene leading into that boss was pretty badass. Tsubasa falling out of the sky and then riding on a Pegasus that then turns into some sort of horse-motorcycle-F15 hybrid with the front half of a horse and the back half of "two loving jet engines". That was so cool! And then it switches into battle and she just stands there bopping back and forth, drawing circles into the air or jump stabbing a spear at something. Just kinda disappointing and underwhelming :( But to be fair, that's where I stopped last night so who know's what's still to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The savage encounters actually make me kind of mad because in true SMT fashion, it's possible that if the enemy team plays their cards right the encounter will actually be unwinnable. In games where you can save anywhere, I forget to save literally all the time, and this game doesn't have any sort of nice autosave thing just in case you blow it. I've only lost five minutes worth of progress, but now I've died enough to them that I'm doing the opposite where I'm saving literally every 2 minutes and all the menuing time starts to add up

Sometimes they'll spawn in a cluster of enemies and be virtually unavoidable too. It'd be fine if they were able to be stunned with a sword but as of now they're basically floating game overs unless you get really lucky with the turn order

I've lost an hour plus of progress on forgetting to save and not having any autosaving whatsoever twice now. I'm just so used to games autosaving these days that now I'm doing the same thing you're describing and saving all the time.

Also earlier I had a trap sprung on me in a dungeon where 3 normal enemies spawn in a circle around you and when I ran away, two savage encounters spawned which I couldn't avoid anymore. I then got insta-session-skilled to death and that was that.

Can someone give me a dummy guide to the combat? I feel like I'm doing things right but everyone keeps saying the game seems so easy and I'm only playing on normal and I'm getting my rear end beat real badly. I try to focus on weaknesses and Session combos and all that stuff, but enemies seem to do a ridiculous amount of damage sometimes. Once they start hitting weaknesses and hitting me with combos, people usually die and once I have to waste a single turn on a res I'm stuck in a loop of just getting smashed to death.

Especially when I'm outnumbered (which seems to happen like all the time with just a party of 3), I can barely get through. I just fought the boss of Chapter 2 and I hit an absolute brick wall when I got there naturally. He summons 4 dudes and gets to attack twice. A single one of his attacks took off like half Itsukis HP and it just wasn't happening. I could maybe kill one of his goons before I died horribly.

My eventual solution was to farm EXP tomes in the DLC dungeon and overlevel all my chars to like level 25 and even then I still struggled and barely made it through that fight. I'm not quite sure what to improve on as far as fighting goes but I'm really struggling a lot. I'm not usually this terrible at RPGs I don't think :(