Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Do you think the ACO will admit they couldn't get enough interest in the hypercar regs or just let that be subtext?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

Second Marshall article with more details: https://racer.com/2020/01/24/lmdh-to-replace-dpi-in-new-imsa-aco-convergence/

Still going to be P2 based, carrying forward all 4 P2 makes from the current stable but will be based on their new 2021 P2 designs. Same regs as now, has to be based on one of those P2 chassis.

Also Peugeot is canning the hypercar and designing an LMaoDuh instead, its happening already

This owns because it's basically the only way this was ever going to happen: ACO needed IMSA and IMSA let them look good.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

harperdc posted:

The MotoGP house commentary is perfectly good, I know we love the guys based out of the US but it’d be worse for them doing the commentary out of a Charlotte studio. All NBCSN needs to do is play the world feed.

MotoGP is fantastic, and also has the best OTT streaming service. Great package and No Spoiler mode.

It didn't work for a race and they gave me a free month no questions asked

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

hunnert car pileup posted:

lol rear end is in 14th

JAM is in 13th

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

drgitlin posted:

LMDh is going to be 800hp, just like Hypercar, so put your toys back in the pram and calm down.

Can you please stop doing this crybaby troll bullshit where you tell people to "calm down" when they're perfectly calm as it is? Thanks in advance.

The hypercar regs aim for 3:20 lap times at Le Mans, which is only four seconds faster than the LMP2 pole time last year. Given that DPi is already faster than LMP2 I'm not really sure BoP is going to be a huge problem.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

drgitlin posted:

I’m sorry, I thought this was *checks notes* the somethingawfuldotcom forums, a long dead gay comedy website. I must have gotten confused in my old age and ended up at Pitpass or something.

If Pitpass is a place where they welcome users who fly off the handle whenever someone lightly disagrees with them then that is information I need to have.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

eliminate all classes at Le Mans and make it a production car race

But you can only participate if you sell a hatchback in the US market

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Arcella posted:

LHD or RHD?

Yes

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Please keep Groverhaas discussion in the F1 thread

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ferrari have expressed interest in LMDh: https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/ferrari-lmdh-prototype-entry-coletta/4682748/

Makes you wonder how unappealing the hypercar regulations must be if Ferrari would rather join LMDh and build their own monocoque.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

orange juche posted:

Now would imsa go for an exemption to allow Ferrari to construct their own monocoque? I'm thinking nah, considering that the chassis must be sourced from LMP2.

The quotes from the Ferrari dude make it sound like the LMDh regs might differ enough from DPi that they could build just the monocoque and buy the remaining chassis parts from one of the LMP2 manufacturers, presumably Dallara. But I hope we don't go down that road at all.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

News: Aston Martin has cancelled the Valkyrie hypercar project
Views: lol

https://racer.com/2020/02/18/aston-martin-set-to-cancel-hypercar-program/

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

orange juche posted:

I wonder if the FIA is gonna try to pull out of the convergence agreement with IMSA because of the teams pulling out of their boondoggle hypercar platform.

The ACO signed onto the convergence agreement because of the failure of their boondoggle hypercar platform.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Basticle posted:

I'm 5 years behind but I just started listening to Dinner with Racers. I'm sure many if not all of you have already listened to this but holy poo poo check out Episode 8 where engineer Jeff Braun details how Level 5 Motorsports owner/crazy man (and current prison inmate) Scott Tucker had them spend millions of dollars developing the fastest D Sports Racing car ever made. I won't spoil it.

This is the most hysterical poo poo I've ever listened to in my life

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

This is a virtual race, they could choose any track in the world, and they've gone with...the Nurburgring GP circuit.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Basticle posted:

This obviously isnt on the same level as Kyle Larson but is arguably worse than what Bubba Wallace did so Audi probably fires this idiot, right?

Lol you should look up who owns Audi's FE team

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/daniel-abt-suspended-audi-controversy/4796782/

quote:

Although Audi has formally ‘suspended’ Abt over the stunt, Motorsport.com understands he will lose his FE drive.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Reynold posted:

lmao he's getting fired because he didn't want to play Cruis'n USA with the boys anymore

idgaf about Abt, but seriously, gently caress esports

If you have the opportunity to play Cruis'n USA with the boys and you decline, you deserve whatever punishment you get.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The problem isn't the lack of danger in and of itself, it's that the drivers don't give a poo poo about the races and don't take them seriously, which makes them completely unentertaining and wholly without value.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Vando posted:

Did you not see Charles Leclerc having a massive tanty about sucking hard in the Baku race? They def take it seriously, although I reckon the F1 approach of only having drivers who want to do it works way better than Indy and Formula E forcing everyone to race and having the ones who don't want to be there piss around.

I watched one of the F1 races where there was a big crash on the start and they all started laughing and decided to restart. It's garbage.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

harperdc posted:

I think so - plus, back in the day, it was the Jaguar XJR-14 that I think also got very close to F1 times (if memory serves), but that was because it had mountains of downforce and 1991 Formula 1 was kind of a transition still. And I think there's also apocryphal stories of Group B cars lapping Estoril almost as fast as F1 cars in the 1980s as well.

That was a Ross Brawn car and he pretty much built it exactly like an F1 car.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's almost like LMDh is cool as hell

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dudley posted:

All of which means, why the hell would you spend any money on your hypercar when they're going to BoP an LMP2 in a dress to your speed anyway?

This is kind of a backwards question. Hypercar isn't failing because LMDH is an option, LMDH is an option because Hypercar failed.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dudley posted:

It kinda doesn't matter which way round, if you won't or can't have a technical series you might as well go all out on the racing without needing to BoP it into the loving ground.

My point is that most manufacturers chose not to spend money on Hypercar long before LMDH was a thing, hence LMDH. You're right that there's basically no point in choosing Hypercar over LMDH unless you're Toyota and you love spending money, but it was either this or continuing with the 24 Heures du Toyota.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Everything is moving to USA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Honestly the whole NBSCN thing has been blown massively out of proportion. It shouldn't surprise anyone to learn that these companies no longer have enough content to justify all the channels they own, especially since they're pushing their streaming services. NBCSN was never ever going to be more than the second most successful sports channel and USA can air more than sports, hence why NBCSN got the axe. I don't see anything meaningfully changing in the short term except you go to USA instead of NBSCN. The fact remains that all these companies are loving desperate for content to prop up their streaming services so if your contracts are up soon (like with the NHL and I think IndyCar) you're in for a massive payday unless you're woefully incompetent.