Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

iwentdoodie posted:

As cool as it is to be setting mileage and lap count records every single year now, I honestly miss the calamity and uncertainty of the past.

attrition good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
eliminate all classes at Le Mans and make it a production car race

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Just checked to make sure Estoril 2006 was on that list, and hell it was

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
See if you can find Max in the 250cc era, he was amazing then. mid-late 90s 500cc wasn't fun but 250cc was loving amazing. Rossi/Biaggi/Kato/Waldmann, and Tetsuya Harada, who continuously gets underrated as one of the best 90s Japanese bike racers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm a big fan of that 2001 250cc season that's basically Kato vs Harada. I actually thought there was a bigger age gap between them, though it was "only" 6 years, but it still did come across as one of the best older Japanese riders passing the torch to the best young one.

The 1993 "FIM GP" (held in Jarama to replace a canceled race) where Harada won the 250cc title is amazing, by the way. Find highlights if you can.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
lmao that owns

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hunnert car pileup posted:

Abt owns for doing that.

Currently working on my script of some esports ringer doing that stunt for an established driver, getting himself an actual race seat out of it, and eventually becoming a motorsports legend.

i think this is basically the plot of "Singin' In The Rain"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dudley posted:

And even then World TCR immediately turned into *nod nod wink wink* we're not a manufacturer team honest.

Then said manufacturers pulled out and it turns out that "SLR VW Motorsport" and "Audi Sport Team Leopard" had something to do with manufacturers.

So now the series that was turning away entrants a couple of years back to cap the grid at 30 currently has half that many entrants. And 8 of those 15 are still manufacturer entries that could be pulled at any second.

it's almost like performance-balanced series should just use spec cars and not try to constantly balance a bunch of different models

BTCC is probably one of the more successful ones and even they had dumb poo poo like those years where a team would win nothing in the first half of the year and get BOPed into the best team on the grid in the second half, which never doesn't feel artificial.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's especially a problem in BOP series where teams have budgets and/or are manufacturers, where the entire series newsfeed becomes an endless series of BOP complaints and accustations

WTCC was maybe the worst i've ever seen of this, at it's worst, the series consisted of SEAT 1-2-3-4-5 one week, BMW 1-2-3-4-5 one week, Chevrolet 1-2-3-4 one week, repeat et al

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I mean, the latter route would have been more keeping with history than BOP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

algebra testes posted:

It changed, some years it was only Audis but at least there were customer teams, some years they'd be up against the Team To Beat Audi who would often explode in the race leading to a comfortable win, and occasionally they had a team put up a real fight and run them real close.

I think 2012? Where Peugeot finished second by 11 seconds having run nose to tail all race was spectacular.

yeah, my first LM was 2005 and that one was an Audi semi-works team versus Pescarolo. Not exactly thrilling but it was still fun to watch.

IIRC some of the Pescarolos put up a decent fight before mechanical issues.

but yeah there's been several Le Mans periods which have been a single dominant manufacturer so having a 24 Hours of Toyota would technically be more "accurate" than running BOP at what is supposedly the top endurance racing event of the year