Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I'm watching on imsa.tv but then again I'm in Australia and it appears to be the only way for me to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

orange juche posted:

Being geoblocked sucks.

I’ll have the same situation next weekend with the Bathurst 12hr which I normally go to but have a family thing that day.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

WindyMan posted:

Bathurst 12h this weekend. It has 39 cars. That's more than started Daytona!

https://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/race-information/entry/

A large majority are gt3 cars as well. There’s only 4 invitational and 3 gt4 cars. I don’t know if they got rid of the Porsche cup cars for this years race but Steve grove has stepped up to the next class and tends to be pretty consistent every year.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The invitational cars are decently qucik if obnoxiusly load when put next to a GT3 car. The GT4 cars where the biggest issue in terms of speed but they added variety to the field. Could also be a wet end to the race as they're predicting storms in the afternoon and Bathurst hasn't had much rain in the last 12 months or so.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Last year had the most green running out of any of the 12 hour races run at Bathurst. It’s not always the slower classes causing issues for the higher tiers either but rather the supercars drivers doing dumb dumb loving poo poo against the overseas drivers. Mostert and whincup are two of the main offenders in that regard.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
One of the KCMG nissan GT-r's is already out after hitting a wall up the top of the mountain. It's also supposed to be hotter tomorrow and still hot on Sunday before storms hit the race later in the day. I'm kinda glad I can watch it at home rather than going to the event this year because I can't imagine sitting on the side of the track in 40 C heat with gently caress all shade being available for spectators. It's going to make the race pretty interesting as well.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Bathurst is good at taking no prisoners but it seems like with the heat today it's out to destory anyone who makes a mistake. Hub Auto is now out and one of the bentleys is in doubt.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
A few of the drivers are saying the track isn't offering a huge amount of grip and they're pushing harder than they possibly should be.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
That's always sorta been the case on the mountain unfortunately.

Quali finished with a lambo on top of the wall.

https://twitter.com/Bathurst12hour/status/1223453453516603392

Dr. Garbanzo fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 1, 2020

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

marshalljim posted:

Is the track just extra greasy from being hot or what?

It's not helping things. Its also been fairly dusty as theres been gently caress all rain so everytime a change moves through it brings with it a plume of dust. My car currently has sections of mud caused by the dust and I don't live all that far from Bathurst.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Double post but Matt Campbell put his Porsche on pole whihc is the first time thats happened. Second went to the Maclaren 720S

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

njsykora posted:

The Porsche lost over half a second in the final sector though, so it's going to be really interesting to see if it has any kind of race pace or is just going to be destroyed on the straights.

That is true but the maclaren is the sort of car that goes dumb level quick without making a huge amount of fuss. I know the previous gen wasn't a fan of the heat and would shut down. It might do alright tomorrow though.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Missed multiple hours at a family thing but I'm locked and loaded for the rest of the afternoon. I'll watch the sections I missed later on in the week on replay

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Here comes the weather. The bentley looks impressive pace wise and it'd be nice to see it on the top step Because every year they look solid before they get duded by other drivers.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

spaceblancmange posted:

What a cock tease this weather is.

It's really good at that and much like Nurburg it'll rain on the top of the track and not at the bottom

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
gently caress yes. First time Bentley has won and also the first time that anyone has won the race from further back than 8th place

Dr. Garbanzo fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 2, 2020

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I'm rewatching last years nurburgring 24 because there's nothing else going on. Just got to the flaming ferrari

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
They've already started talking about cancelling the Bathurst 12hr next year based on whether Australia lifts it's travel restrictions in time. If that happens it'll end up being the final round of the supercars series instead which they are already talking about doing depending on when they can get their season back up and running which doesn't appear as though it'll happen before july at the earliest.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

harperdc posted:

I think there’s a good chance they don’t go forward with it if they want it to feature the global teams, because they’ll need assurances early about shipping vehicles, spares, pit setups, etc. IIRC last year there were SRO GT teams that shipped from Kyalami to Australia, and that race in South Africa was in mid November.

even the teams that don't ship from South Africa need to ship stuff by November to ensure it turns up on time. Its not just the global teams either but a large number of the Australian GT teams rely on international drivers to get the job done. I'm sure there will be more information later in the year and it almost entirely hinges on what the government decides to do in terms of border restrictions which they have no real plans on lifting anytime soon.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I watched some of the early qualifying stuff yesterday and its spooky seeing the circuit without any of the circus that normally accompanies the race. Also a shame that most of the regular porsches aren't taking part after the le mans fallout

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
That'd be close to half of what they got last year and I guess its a combo of timing and global events more generally. They normally run it when the longest days of the year are at their fullest so that amount of night is tiny but that's not going to be the case this year and it could be real interesting. There's also piles of leaves falling onto the track that could add another element of uncertainty to the race.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Pre race coverage has started with the early morning warm up in the wet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LGapfk2q-s

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I was looking forward to watching the race today but I guess I’ll have to head outside and do things today instead of watching the cars go round but it’s probably for the best really if they can’t guarantee that the guys will be at all safe

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
they're back up and running but the track still looks pretty damp. At least theres daylight now so people can see where they're going

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
This end is ending up pretty epic. Despite it having such a large stoppage the racing has been there regardless and it's really nice to see a beemer in the lead rather than an audi as normal

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
And just like every Bathurst whincup has binned it. You could almost set your watch to it

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
last minute sprint race to finish bathurst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
That’s the end of a factory backed Holden effort in supercars since gm decided to ditch the left hand drive market as well.