Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

poo poo i missed the podium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fix the thread tag

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah i saw the M8 on the banking next to a Lamborghini and it's so loving huge I just mentally went "BIG M8"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wait, did I just hear Hindy say that the Risi Ferrari was BOPed down? Have they won anything at all?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Balance of Porsche, if your car is faster than a 911 GTE, it gets nerfed until the 911 is faster.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The acura is reaaaally hosed up

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Big M8 #25 not lookin hot

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

RIP, my bootleg imsa.tv stream is dead.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I'm watching on imsa.tv but then again I'm in Australia and it appears to be the only way for me to watch

Being geoblocked sucks.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

I’m geoblocked for only one IMSA race this year. Thanks for nothing, JSports.

Is Jsports even carrying the race on tv or is it just geoblocked because?

Also now that im home, i can just use that stupid 3 year nordvpn sub I bought a couple years back and only fire up for geoblocked races.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kyle Busch apparently had a hell of a lot of fun in the Rolex 24, even though they didn't finish great.

He did say that the hardest part was hopping out of the car and attempting to go to sleep before his 1 AM stint, not being able to get more than 20 mins of sleep, and then back in the car for another stint, and then finally getting to sleep and then having the team hammer on his door at 4 AM to wake him up to jump in the car at 5AM.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

I miss the old days of seeing a McLaren try to lap a Fiat 500

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yefWVJmtwrU

Enjoy 6 minutes of being the slowest car on the track.

Source: Uploaded by the guy who was driving.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

hunnert car pileup posted:

DIX in 25th

harden up DIX

I was partial to rear end

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

I dont know corner names well for Bathurst, but the 222 audi having his right rear explode in the same turn that has eaten numerous cars and somehow saving it was loving ridiculous

That was probably the complex of corners called The Cutting.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

spaceblancmange posted:

It was Skyline.

Ah I thought it popped on the uphill, not along the top.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Didn't the Manta team shut down this year?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Big Huski Boi posted:

Ferrari have expressed interest in LMDh: https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/ferrari-lmdh-prototype-entry-coletta/4682748/

Makes you wonder how unappealing the hypercar regulations must be if Ferrari would rather join LMDh and build their own monocoque.

Now would imsa go for an exemption to allow Ferrari to construct their own monocoque? I'm thinking nah, considering that the chassis must be sourced from LMP2.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bloopsy posted:

So i'm completely new to motorsports and i've found i've got a hankerin' for sports car racing. Started watching some Goodwood videos on youtube recently which were cool, and then watched a few hours of the 24 hours of Daytona after it was a recommended video. Then I parked my rear end on the couch and ended up watching several hours straight of the Bathurst 12hr last week which was awesome to watch since i already knew that course well from years of Gran Turismo and Forza. All of the rules and different racing leagues are still fairly confusing but after watching a few other recent races i'm starting to figure what the hell is going on. A few things of note that stood out to me so far as I test the waters of sports car racing:

-Big Body Bentleys are the Best

-Earl Bamber is loving everywhere

-Safety cars breed safety cars

-Kangaroos should be standard on all courses

-Prototypes are fun but GT racing is #1 in my heart

You got it pretty much

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I wonder if the FIA is gonna try to pull out of the convergence agreement with IMSA because of the teams pulling out of their boondoggle hypercar platform.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

It's not too late for the French to pull out and scuttle the entire future of endurance racing :getin:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I'm still waiting to see if Ferrari will do lmdh with their "Totally 100% prancing horse" prototype that may or may not have a Dallara sticker with a Ferrari logo stuck over it

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:cry:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Oof

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wouldn't said travel ban also gently caress over about half the driver field for IMSA as well? We might be looking at a scuttled season.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cygni posted:

Yes.

Petite->Sebring->Daytona->Sebring lol, poor teams.

58 hours of racing in 4 events, god that's gonna be brutal.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

While everyone is unable to enjoy miscellaneous racing of the 4 wheel variety, how about some of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PiP_Z698x8

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Basticle posted:

Can someone give me, a casual observer, a rundown on why the Joest program was so hosed from start to finish?

Mazda signed with Joest because Joest sold them a bill of materials (multiple 24H Le Mans Winning team, literal miracle workers) that they couldn't fulfill. To make a baseball analogy, they signed a pitcher who was off their peak, who told them they totally still had what it took to pitch a hitless game in the World Series.

It didn't help that the platform itself was hosed thanks to the Riley x Multimatic design incorporating awful loving poo poo into the LMP2 chassis (A loving indycar suspension from the 1990s, abysmal cooling that kept blowing up the turbocharged engines, etc.), once Multimatic took over the drivers seat on platform design they really turned poo poo around, but once that happened, the boat anchor that was the Joest Racing program started dragging the team back, and Mazda realized that the real miracle workers were Multimatic who redesigned their DPi platform. After that, John Doonan had a big falling out with Ralf Jüttner, and basically sent him packing, and then started putting Multimatic team members in the important seats.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 20, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

njsykora posted:

I approve of the further sphericalisation of motorsport.
https://twitter.com/EnvisionVirgin/status/1251056934133866497

It started as a joke and now this is absolutely hilarious

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Is it just "holy poo poo it was bad" repeated?

Apparently it was so bad it never existed.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 3, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Oh yeah those lol, sticking the name on cars that would never ever in a million years be near a track

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bring back the Chaparral 2E you cowards

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

All racing sucks don't @ me

(God I miss racing)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I mean it was better when I was like 5 and up against the 5ft high chain link fence at Road Atlanta at turn 3 entering the esses and my dad flying tackled me to the ground as a car hit the bank and a large number of car parts soared overhead(there was no catch fencing back before the remodel)

Thanks dad, I'd probably be dead if you didn't do that

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vando posted:

You know you're living in a virtual world when you see the words "ByKolles on pole": https://www.endurance-info.com/fr/24h-virtuelles-qualifs-bykolles-et-porsche-en-pole/

Virtual cars don't spontaneously combust as easily I guess.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

spotters guide for virtual 24H of le mans

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

If a 24H virtual car race is too high brow for you, the 24H series is also holding an actual automobile race at Portimao for 24h starting soon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1_yjx3_kk8

Any port in a storm I guess, I think 24h series is gonna have its biggest viewership numbers this year

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

I turned on the stream to check the status, and they're talking to Sir Jackie Stewart with a red flag on. I figure he's talking about how the rFactor 2 servers have the consistency of a warm Mars bar.

Hey they've been mostly up for the race, there was a ~25 min downtime early in the race and then this which is still ongoing lol

Not a good showing for if you want people to think your sim software is worth a poo poo though. I've been up for the entirety of this loving thing so im feeling a bit foggy.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

How in the gently caress is bykolles in 2nd with less than 3h left?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

I always laughed at the guys wearing gloves, but holy poo poo do my hands get clammy after about an hour of racing.

If they're wearing gloves on a direct drive wheel there's a good reason. Smack a wall at high speed or have the wheel wig out and it will rip the poo poo out of your hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

I hope they do this in September

If they don't I'll be really upset with them via twitter.