Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
It’s a little self-serving but over at Ars Technica I write about IMSA and Formula E.

IMSA 2020 season preview: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/01/whats-in-store-for-us-endurance-racing-in-2020-a-season-preview/

There’ll be some Rolex 24 coverage after that next weekend too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
So, yet again Dagys broke an embargo. I congratulated John Doonan on the ACO announcement (because I’ve spent all day on a car and only saw the sportscar365 tweet) and got a quizzical stare and a “the announcement isn’t until tomorrow” in reply.

It’s a wonder they let me in the door.

Anyone have any burning questions for Acura/Penske/MSR? I can ask them tomorrow.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I can’t imagine Aston Martin will have the money to develop a racing hypercar tbqh.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

orange juche posted:

Wait, did I just hear Hindy say that the Risi Ferrari was BOPed down? Have they won anything at all?

The power cut affects the car throughout the entire rev range, too.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
That sunrise was spectacular.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
One of the Acura PR guys got this amazing time lapse: https://twitter.com/drgitlin/status/1221412761592266753

Didn’t get an answer about three cars from Penske yet, but rear tire wear was something they say they’ve been working on a lot.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
That wasn’t the best race IMO, but it was a drat good weekend at the track.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Some good photos here. Didn’t get to ask about a third Penske, sorry. As I posted earlier, the team say they have worked a lot on rear tire wear and a lot of that is down to controlling traction events.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/01/spectacular-sunrises-and-a-sense-of-optimism-mark-the-2020-rolex-24/

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

harperdc posted:

What’re you using for a camera for events/coverage like this?

Elle did the good photos, she shot it all on an iPhone XS with some Moment lenses. But for the cars on track next time I’d prefer she uses something with a bigger sensor and a real telephoto. Doing just iPhone works for Formula E where you can get very close, but for road courses there’s no substitute for size, IMO.

For the ones I took they’re mostly an iPhone 8, although a few of them were with a LUMIX mirrorless (GF8?)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Nybble posted:

I'm a bit confused by that drive-thru penalty for #60 ignoring the blue flag. Now, granted I'm coming from F1/IndyCar exclusively, but can they not defend from being lapped from the lead lap?

If you get shown a blue flag in F1 you have to move over as well.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Dudley posted:

You might as well, LMDh is LMP2 anyway and why the gently caress would you spend $200m on a hypercar program when someone can just glue some plastic to the front of an Oreca 07 and get performance equalised with you.

LMDh is going to be 800hp, just like Hypercar, so put your toys back in the pram and calm down.

And it’s not like Hypercar isn’t going to be a BoP formula either. There was never any incentive on spending the money it takes to develop a better mousetrap because the ACO was always going to level the playing field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I’m sorry, I thought this was *checks notes* the somethingawfuldotcom forums, a long dead gay comedy website. I must have gotten confused in my old age and ended up at Pitpass or something.