Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
What the hell does h stand for? hypercar? hybrid? hog?

njsykora posted:

It's just the canonical prononciation of Daytona in the song. So it's Daytonah.

lets go away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Wait I've got one, Lmdh more like Smdh.

Sorry! Anyone start tones for daytona in europe?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
we should all listen to the very important epic tech blog journalist guy for sure

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bloopsy posted:

Any podcasts I should listen to going forward? I listened to a few episodes of The Week in Sports Cars but given that I can listen to podcasts at work all day, I've got room for more.

Midweek motorsport

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/LamborghiniSC/status/1227199703286239235

When they say hypercar, do they mean WEC hypercar or 'hypercar' 🤔:thunk:

Edit: never mind it's just some lovely 'track day only' hypercar and not an actual lambo race car

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 11, 2020

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
https://www.instagram.com/p/CADZeWNl2Ex/ :thunk:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I thought you had to be on camera or we, did he just pretend to drive sitting at his sim rig while someone else raced for him?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I'd be more interested in DTM if they went back to being actual touring cars instead of a single seater chassis on a silhouette body. Every time I've caught highlights it's just so loving dull.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

harperdc posted:

DTM is pretty boned. There's already multiple other GT3 series in Germany, so they can't switch to GT3s; there's already TCR series too, and even then, DTM has really never been the front-wheel drive touring cars (between the first DTM and the current iteration there was a series to Supertouring rules, but it wasn't truly the DTM).

so what can they do? Maybe use GTE cars, but that's not too different from GT3s and only BMW would be happy. Do they try something cheaper? Who knows.

the funny thing is the same ingredients make Super GT a real good series, but due to race formatting and a few other key choices DTM just isn't as sexy.

They have a national TCR series too? GT4's maybe?

I dunno why SuperGT is way more interesting to watch, I guess you do also have the fun of it being multiclass also.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yeap ts not a race ... rallying is a time trial. And cool AF esp when your in a no name national team having a lark in Rally Australia and the actual WRC mechs you are in the service park with are yelling and urging you on to fix the scrap that was the suspension and subframe that was a 07 STI within the utterly improbable 30 minute time limit.

And then after the car os sent out with 4 seconds to spare and you are just struggling to even get off the patch of tarpalun you are that mentally and physically hosed you get a beer and congrats from the Hyundai team.... well poo poo what a sport. Can you imagine Ferrari F1 slumming with Team Koala Fuckers out the back of a muddy oval?

nobody asked but ok

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

jammyozzy posted:

Nobody could have possibly seen this coming...

https://twitter.com/FIAWEC/status/1292795570508234752?s=19

It's a shame but totally the right call I think, there was no way to run it safely even with the spectator villages idea.

man i swear it was only like a couple of weeks ago that radio lemans were talking about travel plans, gotta suck for the people who booked

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Do any of the non Toyota LMP1 teams even have a chance? Or have they hobbled the crap out of Toyota which even that seems kinda lame.

I kinda lost my enthusiasm for WEC after Toyota won Le Mans essentially unchallenged, but I might try and watch it if I get the streaming thingy

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Wait how long have the Toyotas been AWD? I thought they had all power delivered to the rear, did the regs change allowing them to send electric to the front or summat?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

iwentdoodie posted:

Since day 1 lol

oh, I forgot.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

harperdc posted:

I think LMH is RWD only, and LMDH is going to be too.

But yeah on paper even the dumb loving Nissan was supposed to be AWD with the hybrid drive going to the rear. Audi and Porsche were both AWD.

The LMP1 Hybrid era is going to make for a fascinating coffee table book at some stage.

[Edit] hold up, the WEC official broadcast just said that the race control officials use Discord to communicate with teams? Wow. Wowww.

Oh yeah I forgot the Nissan making GBS threads it up that year was meant to have electric rear drive but they couldn't get it working on time. Man that thing was a complete disaster, somehow it managed to be worse than the open cockpot Aston LMP1

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Is there a channel to watch super gt highlights?

On YouTube ya daftcunt

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah I mean a YouTube channel ya fuckin melon!!! Link me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0RjJHT8mG8

ya just gotta put supergt 2020 inta youtube!!!!!!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I mean a few years back didn't the Toyota LMP1 get close to the F1 quali lap at silverstone.

Even then designing an powertrain thats got to run continuously for a 24hr race in a prototype is probably going to be significantly different from one that has to run an hour or so sprint race in an open wheeler

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

harperdc posted:

Sounds like it’s a lot of the usual suspects - there’s a reason Phoenix Racing (who used to run in DTM) are looking to get some LMP2 experience. I would imagine WRT is there too. Not sure if Joest would be involved.

I mean this was before Ross Brawn was Ross Brawn, plus it was at a point where F1 teams weren’t quite as advanced on aero. It absolutely was a bleeding-edge car and the Mulsanne’s Corner breakdown of the technical side is worth a read. The aero work front and rear is unfathomable.

I love that it became a Mazda and also a LeMans winning Porsche

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I got the Dakar stuff as a youtube rec, but what the hell is going on with the coverage. Like the only video on the classics stuff is like 30 seconds long and most of the other videos are like a couple of minutes

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKCwY00lacT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Uhhh ok, I thought the hypercars were supposed to even have some sort of pretense of looking like a roadcar?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Are they going to sell that LMP1 car as a road car? Lmao

I don't think there is a roadcar requirement, but I thought the whole idea of the dumbass hypercar crap was to make it have some road car styling elements?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Oh I thought they had to be homologated now :(
I thought the aim was to get hypercar manufacturers interested too etc.

I dunno what hypercar company would be able to afford it tho.

Anyone know what was happening with the Glickenhaus one? I mean thats as close to what you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Porsche, Aston, Mclaren and Ferrari were talking about it weren’t they?
Assumed they were trying to get back to the days of clk gtrs and 911 gt1s and F1s and stuff.
This sucks and I’m into it the exact same amount as I was with lmp1.

LMP1H was cool when there were 3 competing teams, but like all sportscar stuff it never lasts. Everyone is cutting their motorsport stuff as it costs too much and it doesn't align with pushing for EV's idk. I don't even have anything against ev's I'd love to see a balls to the wall ev series openwheel or hybrid.

Weren't porsche going in on the LMDH which is like a hopped up hybrid lmp2 or summat? I really lost interest in motorsport over the last year lol