Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
https://twitter.com/Mattzel89/status/1221145364658450432?s=19

This is how I know its race season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

orange juche posted:

Yeah i saw the M8 on the banking next to a Lamborghini and it's so loving huge I just mentally went "BIG M8"

We were in the paddock at sebring last year, M8 rolls by to go to tech and I heard some woman say "oh lawd he comin"

Somehow it never gets old.

Also enjoying the Corvette having a DRL burned out already, so it fits in with all if their street cars now.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
And also we cant have any cars getting near a porsche

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Of course I have to leave and something happened.

What happened

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
12.5hrs in and the gap is .2

Endurance racing really is just a super long sprint race at this point. Jesus.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
As cool as it is to be setting mileage and lap count records every single year now, I honestly miss the calamity and uncertainty of the past.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I dont know corner names well for Bathurst, but the 222 audi having his right rear explode in the same turn that has eaten numerous cars and somehow saving it was loving ridiculous

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
https://twitter.com/Mattzel89/status/1223748267990835201?s=19

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Peanut President posted:

prototypes suck anyway so who cares, make GT the main category at le mans and let LMDH Hypercar Series run the week after or whatever

Unironically this. Prototypes are neat, and people ooh and aah, but GT cars are the real show.

My wife has never given a poo poo about racing, but will happily sit and watch GT cars for 12 hours while not giving a single gently caress about protos other than a "that sounds like rear end" when a Toyota went by.

Wheel banging is better than lapping.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Spaced God posted:

There should just be a "gently caress it" exhibition class a le mans for things like Project 400 and people who just wanna drop a CART engine into a 911 or bring back a 917k where you're not rewarded for race position but rather how much cool poo poo you can cram into the car and records you can break.

Is this the worst idea? yes.

Would it be hilarious and fun? also yes.

Isnt that basically what the 24hrs at Nurburgring have become?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
If you haven't watched it yet, Uppity is such a good loving movie.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Bloopsy posted:

-Prototypes are fun but GT racing is #1 in my heart

Called it.

Watch Sebring in a few weeks.

If you're able, go to Sebring.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Bloopsy posted:

Some friends and I have talked over the years about camping at a NASCAR event even though we have no interest in the sport at all. I'm going to try to get us to camp at Sebring next year, if the costs aren't too much.

Any podcasts I should listen to going forward? I listened to a few episodes of The Week in Sports Cars but given that I can listen to podcasts at work all day, I've got room for more.

If you buy before thanksgiving it would be about 150 all in for a 4 day pass and parking (which is your campsite.) Making your own food is obviously cheaper but track food isnt bad or horribly priced. 24 packs of beer (tall boys) are 24 bucks.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Anyone else going to be at Sebring this year?

Just got a new 10x20 canopy and cutting down some rebar for tie downs.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Basticle posted:

I'm 5 years behind but I just started listening to Dinner with Racers. I'm sure many if not all of you have already listened to this but holy poo poo check out Episode 8 where engineer Jeff Braun details how Level 5 Motorsports owner/crazy man (and current prison inmate) Scott Tucker had them spend millions of dollars developing the fastest D Sports Racing car ever made. I won't spoil it.

If you like stories like that, make sure you listen to Ryan Dalziel as well.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I'm going to COTA this weekend for the 6h. I am looking at the schedule and it seems really thin... no support races I guess.
pre:
Saturday, February 22
7:30am Parking Lots Open
8:00am-7:00pm Gates Open/Close
8:00am-10:00am Practice1-FIA WEC
10:15am-10:55am Free Lapping-Track Rats
11:45am-12:25pm Free Lapping-Track Rats
12:45pm-2:45pm Practice 2-FIA WEC
3:00pm-3:40pm Free Lapping-Track Rats
3:30pm-4:40pm Pit Walk
4:00pm-4:35pm Car Corral (Group 2)
4:45pm-5:25pm Free Lapping-Track Rats
5:40pm-6:00pm Qualifying-LMGTE Pro & LMGTE Am
6:10pm-6:30pm Qualifying-LMP1 & LMP2

Sunday, February 23
7:30am Parking Lots Open
8:00am-6:30pm Gates Open/Close
8:00am-8:50am Car Corral (Group 1)
9:00am-9:45am Free Lapping-Track Rats
9:50am-10:45am Pit Lane Walk
9:55am-10:25am FIA WEC Driver Autograph Session-Pit Lane
11:15am-11:35am FIA WEC Fan Grid Walk-Front Straight
12:00pm-6:00pm Race-Lone Star Le Mans-6 Hrs of Circuit of The Americas
Not even sure what "track rats" are.

They're literally running a HPDE as a support feature.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Peanut President posted:

trans-am still uses leaded gas what makes you think they're gonna be on the ball with streaming

Oh I am so totally going this weekend in that case

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I swear to christ if sebring gets cancelled I'm gonna go camp drunk next to a loving highway and throw poo poo at people

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

harperdc posted:

Florida or the county might act.

Lmao

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
WEC just pulled out of Sebring.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Sebring postponed to Nov 11 to 14.

https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/1238132862261645314?s=19

https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/1238135029127151616?s=19

Petit, sebring, daytona, sebring.

RIP my wallet and liver

Edit: added the newest tweet, since they've deleted and tweeted four times now

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 12, 2020

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

an oddly awful oud posted:

Well this blows. What the gently caress am I going to do with myself with no racing. I’m sure as hell not getting a job. I wonder if I could use these fifty thousand rolls of toilet paper as Armco barriers and construct my own track

I ended up ordering a new PC, wheels and pedals.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

harperdc posted:

I see your Super Sebring and raise you a true 12 hour classic, Dinner with Racers’ Pooper Sebring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-P0f53FMgg

Complete with uninterested middle management hanging out in green park, and dancing Hep C!

Also Ryan Eversely looking exactly like paul f tompkins.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

an oddly awful oud posted:

IMSA just canceled Belle Isle which is pretty much expected. The lack of racing or automotive news in general right now is killing me. God help me I’m starting to get into horology which is arguably an even more stupid, expensive, and pointless hobby than cars

And promptly scheduled eraces on the same day as the ones already set up by people involved in the sport that have massive fan engagement.

gently caress imsa

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Basticle posted:

did a quick google https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/cars-named-after-famous-racetracks/

I honestly am not sure if I've ever heard of the Dodge Daytona before (a loving K-Car!). I've heard of the upmodel Chrysler Laser though.

The Turbo II Daytonas are loving hilariously fun to drive. Same with Omni GLH.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

OhsH posted:

every racing thread on SA reminds me that nobody actually likes racing

No racing fan likes racing. We get hooked when we're young and spend the rest of them time until death chasing that high, which never comes because This Sucks Now, It Was Better When ___.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

track day bro! posted:

Wait how long have the Toyotas been AWD? I thought they had all power delivered to the rear, did the regs change allowing them to send electric to the front or summat?

Since day 1 lol

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

orange juche posted:

I'm a liberal and yeah I don't know what they're trying to appeal to. I like fast cars and hell I was going to road atlanta for races at age like 1. Maybe they're looking for liberals who hate cars.

Capital L liberals, I think he means. You know, they buy a tesla (formerly prius) and then shame anyone who doesn't, or anyone who buys a different electric car.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
New corvettes sound weird, Porsche livery making me sad, p2 worse than pc, ots nice here with no people.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Yeah they're done after this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Is it no spectators at all at sebring or limited numbers?

I dont think there's a limit, just not a ton made it. Most of the normal camps are here.