Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Acura, Mazda, Cadillac in first practice, although some cars didn't go out due to the bad conditions.

https://racer.com/2020/01/23/montoya-acura-lead-opening-rolex-24-practice/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

And then there were 37... gettin bleak. Hey at least the protos will complain about traffic less?

https://twitter.com/RACERmag/status/1220410524581728258

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

hold on to ur butts

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Big Huski Boi posted:

Do you think the ACO will admit they couldn't get enough interest in the hypercar regs or just let that be subtext?

I expect them to admit no defeat what so ever, only let DPis run with Hypercars at LeMans and not the rest of the WEC season, and then BoP the gently caress out of them to ensure they never come close to Toyota or Peugeot come raceday

But im cynical, so we will see!!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Marshall's article:

https://racer.com/2020/01/24/imsa-and-aco-sign-prototype-convergence-agreement/

I'm just hopeful that this doesn't include cost increases on the DPI formula that will lead to it sputtering out fast (this is absolutely what will happen)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Second Marshall article with more details: https://racer.com/2020/01/24/lmdh-to-replace-dpi-in-new-imsa-aco-convergence/

Still going to be P2 based, carrying forward all 4 P2 makes from the current stable but will be based on their new 2021 P2 designs. Same regs as now, has to be based on one of those P2 chassis.

Also Peugeot is canning the hypercar and designing an LMaoDuh instead, its happening already

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

That’s like the 5th car binned at Daytona already this year dang

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Daytona 24hr about to start. People will be talkin in the discord so you should prolly go to the discord. Ok cya!!!!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

LMP1 entry list is 3 cars for COTA. Toyotas and 1 Rebellion. Merge this stupid class with LMP2, thanks.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

harperdc posted:

And there are three more races left of this rule set, and then the first year of Hypercar, followed by the first season where the LMDh rules will be allowed. Why would you merge it now, even if you could?

Because 3 cars isn't a race and this series is a joke.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

thats not a fair comparison. groverhouse was more successful.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It’s tradition with the 333SP!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Those who guessed that the Aston Hypercar would turn less laps than the AMROne... you were correct!

https://racer.com/2020/02/18/aston-martin-set-to-cancel-hypercar-program/

efb

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If I was Toyota, I would can the Hypercar now, run the current P1 until September 2021 and then go LMDh. But Toyota makes weird choices. Gonna be their call as to whether we ever see a Hypercar or not.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

jammyozzy posted:

For Toyota in-particular, LMP1 is a test bed for their own, designed and made, hybrid powertrain. The way the whole program is structured is that TMG is almost a sub-contractor to Toyota Japan, with the task of building a car to put Japan's powertrain into.

If Toyota HQ don't see any value in racing themselves anymore, and can't build their own hybrid system, I think they'll walk away rather than go to LMDh. The people at TMG want to go racing whichever way they can, but HQ will have no interest in LMDh if it's as restricted as it appears it will be.

They want to build the hybrid system mostly for marketing. This is the same argument that Ford has been having with Indycar/IMSA/WEC/everyone else. Some manufacturers want to spend big bucks and design heavy hybrids themselves because they think thats the only way the marketing works in a world where electrification is happening. The rest want to cut costs and go spec hybrid (or no hybrid) because they think the marketing for greenwashed racing is weak anyway and hybrids a dying tech, so they wont spend huge bucks. Those are the two camps.

Both groups are facing the same pit: in the near future where ICE cars are second fiddle in much of the rich world, is investing your marketing money in ICE racing worth it at all? And when do you shut it down? Do you only invest in ICE racing that targets market that will be slow to adopt non-ICE cars? Where is the balance?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I mean does anyone really... care about the WEC? Outside of lemans and maybe spa, most of the races are pretty thin in both fields and audience. And we went a long time without an endurance championship anyway. I could see it going away altogether and the world would keep turning, especially if ELMS allowed LMDh.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bloopsy posted:

So does the 2021 Sebring still take place in March?

Yes.

Petite->Sebring->Daytona->Sebring lol, poor teams.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

As was rumored, Mazda and Joest are breaking up and Multimatic (who was supporting the Ford GTs) is going to run Mazdas DPis now. If we have a season this year.

https://racer.com/2020/03/19/mazda-confirms-multimatic-switch/

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

How about Dick Smothers of the Smothers Brothers variety show running in F5000 in a Lotus 70... 600hp 5l V8s with bias ply tires, barely any aero, and a frame made of aluminum foil:

My dad was the crew chief on the cars as a youngen:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/racecastwx/status/1283047260755034117

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Imsa race is on, some folks in the discord!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Penske and Acura probably splitting up in IMSA. Penske linked to Porsche LMDh, Acura linked to splitting up its factory support over multiple teams like the LMP2 days or Cadillac now.

https://racer.com/2020/07/20/acura-expected-to-change-strategy-with-dpi-program/

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

are we still pretending we dont know it stands for hybrids or what

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

orange juche posted:

A good track, a decent track, and a Tilke-designed sin against nature, balance in all things is preserved.

original hockenheim

no chicanes

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

every track F1 tried to "fix", they hosed up forever. its the primary reason everyone screams whenever a writer floats a "F1 to return to Watkins Glen? Long Beach? going to Road America?" story

that series deserves to be tied to the dogshit tracks in awful dictatorships they run at (like COTA), and need to stay away from all the Good tracks and series

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

GT3 is about to have a big crash, unfortunately. you will be shocked to know that the FIA let the homologation spec break down due to manufacturer pressure and money, and now only the latest factory cars with big budgets (that have ballooned into the millions per car) stand a chance

stop me if youve heard this before

to be fair, i think this the longest a single spec has lasted before the inevitable corruption balloon that i can remember

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

harperdc posted:

FIA doesn’t own the GT3 spec though, the SRO does. And all of the rumors are that GTE is going away (with factories looking to be encouraged up to prototypes) so some next-gen of GT3 looking to replace it for customers in ACO rules series.

Im pretty sure the FIA handles the actual homologation process and control for GT3 for like 95% series that use it? I might be wrong. I know IMSA doesnt use the pure GT3 rule book, for example, but i think most people do.

The speed creep when you look at the life of GT3 is pretty crazy when you consider this is a class that is supposed to be pegged to an identical lap time. When you look at the huge chunks of time they have taken out of places like Bathurst (yes i know there was a partial repave), its clear that the spec got inflated and out of hand. The fastest race lap at Bathurst during the life of GT3 has chopped 6 fuckin seconds off a 2 minute lap. Yes, tires and such, but cmon. Shits broken. The entire point of the spec was that every car would be perfectly performance balanced forever, but that clearly is no longer the case. Thanks FIA (or SRO or whoever).

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

algebra testes posted:

I don't understand, it's crazy popular everywhere and yet somehow dying?

Gte I get with at most 8 factory entries in the entire world, but gt3 is popular everywhere?

Car counts have been dropping in the pro and pro-am series for the last few years, mostly due to cost creep driven by the BOP issues. They are trying to appease two primary groups with one platform: manufacturers and rich guys, and mixing those groups which often have diametrically opposed desires nearly always ends with one overpowering the other and the formula going tits up.

When GT3 started, you could buy a car for ~$300k that was guaranteed (at the time) to be speed balanced to even the biggest factory program. Rich guys happy! But manufacturers sad. So manufacturers start putting pressure on.

Now, its easily a million+ for a competitive car, IF the manufacturer even CHOOSES to BLESS you with their car, and many won't even let you actually own the car... a lot of them require you to lease the engine or have mandatory "support packages" which essentially means a guy with the factory takes the ECU after every race so you cant turn the car on. Which means you dont really own the car and have to do what he factory wants, including racing only in series the factory has political interest in and not not actually competing with the factory when they themselves want to show up. Manufacturers happy! But rich guys sad.

GT3 is gonna stay popular for a long time (especially with full Am series), but it seems to be on the decline. GT4 and TCR are getting a lot of attention lately for the exact same reasons (and price point) that fueled GT3 early on.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 22, 2020

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

LMP3 to run with the big series in IMSA. A long time coming.

https://racer.com/2020/09/09/imsa-lmp3-added-as-new-2021-weathertech-championship-class/

Also the schedule (provided there is no COVID lol!):

https://racer.com/2020/09/09/imsa-reveals-2021-weathertech-championship-calendar/

2021 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship

Rolex 24 At Daytona January 28-31 (DPi, GTLM, GTD; LMP2, LMP3 non-points)

Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring, March 17-20 (DPi, GTLM, GTD, LMP2, LMP3)

Long Beach Grand Prix, April 16-17 (DPi, GTLM, GTD)

WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca, April 23-25 (DPi, GTLM, GTD, LMP2)

Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course May 14-16 (DPi, GTD, LMP3)

TBA (Belle Isle, Detroit) (DPi, LMP2, GTD Sprint Cup)

Sahlen’s Six Hours at The Glen, June 24-27 (DPi, GTLM, GTD, LMP2, LMP3)

Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, July 2-4 (DPi, GTLM, GTD, LMP3)

Lime Rock Park, July 16-17 (GTLM, GTD)

Road America, August 6-8 (DPi, GTLM, GTD, LMP2, LMP3)

Virginia International Raceway, August 20-22 (GTLM, GTD)

Motul Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta, October 6-9 (DPi, GTLM, GTD, LMP2, LMP3)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Nybble posted:

I love Discord and all, but hooboy if there's an outage...

they go back to radio if there is an outage. happens more often than you might think, too, especially at street/temporary circuits back in the olden days where they were using Yahoo Messanger and poo poo.

part of the advantage of using something like discord instead of rolling your own local tool is when the local intranet dies because Pierre drove over the data cable and broke it, everyone can switch to LTE :v:

(e: all of my info is like 10+ years old cause i dont have anything to do with the industry anymore so this may no longer be true i dunno)

Cygni fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 17, 2020

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

harperdc posted:

the Rebellions look like they could pull a surprise! One split the Toyotas in the pole shootout.

oh honey

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

spaceblancmange posted:

It's 2020 so Bykolles to win p1 but overall a p2 wins the race.

That would be way too cool

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i dunno if that counts as a race but it sure was some cars driving around for a bit! so thats nice!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/sportscar365/status/1308183540933300226?s=21

Lol

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It's a long story, but in the Pro series in the US, generally you are allowed (and often expected) to fight to stay on the lead lap. This can even mean passing the leader back to try to get back on the lead lap. Once you have faded beyond that though, most series do have enforced blue flag rules. Being multiple laps down and out of contention and hassling the leaders is a no-no everywhere.

As for "why", a lot of it is because US series use full course cautions way WAY more than euro series, and catching a bad full course can obliterate your pit stop strategy especially on smaller circuits. Smaller circuits like ovals and street circuits, things that the US also tends to run more of than euro series. Tracks that also need full course yellows more than Tilkedromes. And there tends to be more series that actually do pit stops in the US, too, so pit stop strategy is a big deal.

Sportscars, especially in the pro-am and full am series, tend to look less favorably on people hassling the leaders though as a general statement. But the full pro tiers like DPi and GTE in IMSA will fight tooth and nail.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IMSA GT only race at the Charlotte roval (lol) this weekend... at night??

https://twitter.com/imsa/status/1314707554069606400?s=21

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

HAHAHAH PETITE

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

You Am I posted:

Penske is leaving Australian Supercars. Kinda seems a bit opportunistic here since they have taken the best driver in the series with them:

https://au.motorsport.com/v8supercars/news/penske-departs-supercars-mclaughlin-full-time-indycar/4896819/

I dont think there was ever much money involved, just like the Andretti deal. The Team Penske name helped DJR sell sponsors, and being involved in Supercars helped Team Penske sell sponsors. It sounds like Shell is staying with DJR, so that's good.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/jordan10taylor/status/1333878897142849536

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

In a performance balanced series, using a monstrously expensive unicorn engine designed to a laughably obtuse and convoluted rule set and trying to adapt it to your needs is a Bad Idea and absolutely more expensive than running something purpose built.

In other news, to no surprise, Acura and Oreca are "studying" LMDh for 2023.

https://racer.com/2020/12/14/acura-initiates-lmdh-design-study-with-oreca/