Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I am starting to see why this game didn't get much of a following. That was a cool fight though. Hope this was all worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Nnngg. Can't say anything yet as pretty much everything is spoiler-y.

Somewhere around here in the game I started having suspicions that were satisfying once confirmed. Claudia's death wasn't it - I was shocked by Gabriel murdering Claudia, I missed the cues pdPreciousRoy picked up on. Agreeing, total BS on how it had to be her Fate to get murdered, as discussed in the video. Also agreeing on the restraining order.

As far as the narration goes - stick with our narrator a bit longer. It's not that the dialog gets better. It does not. The payoff is a ways off, and YMMV.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SSNeoman posted:

I am starting to see why this game didn't get much of a following. That was a cool fight though. Hope this was all worth it.

First and foremost: It doesnt feel like castlevania.
It feels like a cheaper Dantes Inferno (despite being released in the same year), which is itself a cheaper God Of War.

The animated Castlevania series shows what a good 'serious' castlevania should be like.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It feels like a cheaper Dantes Inferno (despite being released in the same year), which is itself a cheaper God Of War.

The animated Castlevania series shows what a good 'serious' castlevania should be like.

:hmmyes:

Bloodstained is the spiritual successor for the metroidvania games, and would have (should have) been the actual successor except that Konami wouldn't give up the rights to Castlevania.

pdpreciousroy
Jan 18, 2020

Kacie posted:

Somewhere around here in the game I started having suspicions that were satisfying once confirmed. Claudia's death wasn't it - I was shocked by Gabriel murdering Claudia, I missed the cues pdPreciousRoy picked up on. Agreeing, total BS on how it had to be her Fate to get murdered, as discussed in the video. Also agreeing on the restraining order.

I swear I'm avoiding spoilers. It's a code of honor thing for me.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Agreed on the first point, but the Dante's Inferno comparison is off the mark in my opinion - that game was just a set of LOOK HOW GRIMDARK SERIOUS MATURE GORY THIS IS moments while Lords of Shadow has a definite style to its art and visuals. I like how LoS looks and sounds, abeit not necessarily how it plays or how amazingly stupid the story is.

Also - Castlevania anime, is that actually good? I always thought it got joke recommendations.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Also - Castlevania anime, is that actually good? I always thought it got joke recommendations.

I’ve heard nothing but unironically good things about the anime. I need to check it out, especially with season 3 on its way.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The Netflix show is genuinely pretty good and highly recommended.

The narrative pacing is a bit off, although having binge-watched it, that's less of a problem. The voicework is excellent. The designs are crisp.The fight choreography & animation is excellent and imaginative (especially with the use of the whip), and they aren't afraid to slow down the pace for character moments. It's also suprisingly funny.

And they do the best way to do references, which is to just have things in the scene, often as background elements that require no context to unfamiliar viewers. At one point a cabinet is stuffed with artifacts which line up with Symphony of the Night's bestiary, for example.

And they draw from across the various series too; the Belmont crest they use for the show is actually the one used from these Lords of Shadow games - just simplified.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

anilEhilated posted:

Agreed on the first point, but the Dante's Inferno comparison is off the mark in my opinion - that game was just a set of LOOK HOW GRIMDARK SERIOUS MATURE GORY THIS IS moments while Lords of Shadow has a definite style to its art and visuals. I like how LoS looks and sounds, abeit not necessarily how it plays or how amazingly stupid the story is.

It's good and the characters are characters, as opposed to quips and fight machines, they chafe a bit against each other and you can see them grow as the story progresses.
Also Drac has incredible voice acting and just so much sheer pathos for being big scary vampire man.

It's absolutely a labor of love and breathless praise to the games.

And you get to see Alucard say 'gently caress you'

pdpreciousroy
Jan 18, 2020

theenglishman posted:

I’ve heard nothing but unironically good things about the anime. I need to check it out, especially with season 3 on its way.

I'm trying guys, I really am. It was a shock to me that the series got off the ground and Season 1 was genuinely good. Season 2 was amazing. I can't recommend it enough.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

pdpreciousroy posted:

I swear I'm avoiding spoilers. It's a code of honor thing for me.

I believe you - part of what I enjoy about these LPs is that you don't spoil yourself, you are invested and your reactions are genuine. And you're both savvy & funny.

The cues/clues are there, I just wasn't paying attention until that happened.

The note of horror in your voice as you realized you'd been right - and you were really unhappy at having been right - was great. I'd been waiting to see how you'd react and I enjoyed that moment.

I was also relieved to hear you were upset - I have very mixed feelings about this game, and one reason is because of the misogyny running through it. Other LPs haven't addressed that, or worse, joined in. While I was confident you & theenglishman don't have that in your character, I was glad you proved me right.

There is another LP of Lords of Shadow, done by Doseku, here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802821

While thorough, I have reservations about it.

Thanks again for LPing this game, really showing off how to do the combat well, and discussing it as you go through it.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Kacie posted:

I have very mixed feelings about this game, and one reason is because of the misogyny running through it. Other LPs haven't addressed that, or worse, joined in. While I was confident you & theenglishman don't have that in your character, I was glad you proved me right.

With the entire game as context, I'm still not entirely sure whether the writers actually hate women, or if they were simply leaning in too heavily on tropes like fridging and didn't realize how it came off until after the game released. Game development can be a very internal experience without much outside input, and what may seem obviously problematic to players may not come off that way for the writers, who have immersed themselves in the story for months, if not years.

Once we get to Laura's character arc we'll explore that a bit more.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Almost completely off topic, but holy poo poo, the Castlevanime actually is good.

e: And yes, I bumped this thread only to use the word "Castlevanime". Not ashamed.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 18, 2020

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

e: And yes, I bumped this thread only to use the word "Castlevanime". Not ashamed.

Don’t be.

There’s going to be a slight delay as I finish my move but we should be back on track within the next few weeks. Thank you for being patient everyone! :)

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Good news! Roy and I are about to record commentary on the rest of the backlog, so once I'm finished my move, I'll be able to capture more gameplay footage and really get this ball rolling again. Hurray!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Good to hear! I don't remember when I saw a previous LP of this but it was a long time ago, and I've never seen any gameplay of the sequels at all so I've been eager to see how things shake out.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Congrats on the move,and thanks for bringing up the Netflix series. I gave it another shot and now I am hooked. Just in time for season 3 to drop.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

As of 12:45 pm EST these videos are still processing. They should hopefully be finished soon - thank you for your patience once again!

In today's episode, we begin Chapter 3, and Gabriel still cannot stop killing women.

TRAVEL BOOK UPDATES:
  • Added Dark Crystal strengths/weaknesses to enemies that were missing them.
  • Added strengths and weaknesses for enemies against new Item (see below).
  • Added Gremlins to the Enemies tab, because I forgot, even though we were introduced to them in Video 6. Oops.
  • Basic spelling and grammar corrections.
  • New Item: Fairy (and by extension, Light Fairy).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I'll pretend that sub-weapon isn't fatal to them; otherwise they have Lemmings-tier enthusiasm for dying.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This game just has so many levels and not enough to fill them with. Crystals had some context but faeries just show up and wordlessly give you a tube to put other faeries in to... open a door. Someone made this great looking level with a giant crumbling statue and that's all its used for! (I emphasize again I like this game)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

This game just has so many levels and not enough to fill them with. Crystals had some context but faeries just show up and wordlessly give you a tube to put other faeries in to... open a door. Someone made this great looking level with a giant crumbling statue and that's all its used for! (I emphasize again I like this game)
Yeah, the distribution of content is weird to the max. I started playing along with the thread yesterday and the first chapter really shows it - you spend half an hour wandering around a loving swamp level that slows your movement and frustrates you to no end, but has all kinds of goodies hidden in it - and then you switch to five minutes in the absolutely gorgeous Pan's sanctuary where all you have to do is a grand total of two puzzles.
The constantly changing environment kind of helps the "great adventure" feel the game is going for but a lot of the design makes no sense whatsoever.
On the other hand, story making no sense whatsoever is something that kind of comes with the territory with this game.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

A cool boss fight, earth-shattering revelations, and one of the best upgrades in the game await us in today's update!

TRAVEL BOOK UPDATES:
  • Removed spoilers on the Black Knight Golem as it is past what I consider the "grace period". Some major spoilers will remain permanently tagged, however. If you've finished the game, you'll know which ones I'm talking about
  • New Character: Cornell, Dark Lord of the Lycans
  • New Item: Cyclone Boots

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Could someone do a gif of the :staredog: face Ladykiller McGee makes when Cornell transforms? Dunno why, but there's something oddly funny about that.

Kaboom Dragoon fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Feb 28, 2020

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Could you please spoiler-tag Cornell's name? Thanks.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I played through pretty much this entire game (I think I got derailed at the very end), but I don't remember any of this plot stuff, so it's all new to me!

Funny that you said he got hard in phase 2, when you were getting pretty beaten up in phase 1 but perfect guarded pretty much everything in phase 2.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

We got some sweet kicks outta this deal though!

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

Funny that you said he got hard in phase 2, when you were getting pretty beaten up in phase 1 but perfect guarded pretty much everything in phase 2.

What you didn't see are the dozen or so deaths I suffered during phase 2, so by the time I got a good take out of it I had more or less memorized most of his attacks. I swear I don't try to make the hard bosses look easy, it just happens!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Could someone do a gif of the :staredog: face Ladykiller McGee makes when Cornell transforms? Dunno why, but there's something oddly funny about that.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

We make the obligatory joke. Make sure to stick around for the whole video to see a rather unusual voice acting cameo.

TRAVEL BOOK UPDATES:
  • New Enemies: Chupacabra, Ogre

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

You really ogre-did it.

And those Titans seemed so impressive until you see that ogres are almost as big as the Titans are.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
My comments will lag behind because I'm watching the LP after I finish the level in question in my own playthrough, but holy poo poo I forgot how stupidly the lycan lord boss fight was designed. Just spent an hour on it and most of it consisted of the final phase complete with repeats forced by the genius idea of sticking a set of instadeath quick-time-events at the end of a long bossfight.
Boy am I glad QTEs went the way of the dodo.

e: Please do not ever stop with the Stewart impressions.

e2: I never realized you could parry him. gently caress my life.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 5, 2020

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

My comments will lag behind because I'm watching the LP after I finish the level in question in my own playthrough, but holy poo poo I forgot how stupidly the lycan lord boss fight was designed. Just spent an hour on it and most of it consisted of the final phase complete with repeats forced by the genius idea of sticking a set of instadeath quick-time-events at the end of a long bossfight.
Boy am I glad QTEs went the way of the dodo.

Oddly enough, there's one boss fight in the DLC (The Forgotten One) which has a QTE-style finishing move in its final phase that isn't an instant-kill if you fail it, but instead takes off a large portion of your health. For whatever reason, I am absolutely terrible at that particular part, and I actually kind of wish that section was an instant kill, since failing it means you have to repeat the phase at a significant disadvantage, and therefore just delaying how long it takes for you to reload from checkpoint.

Generally I agree that putting instant-death QTE finishers after a boss fight is bad, but honestly, I think Lords of Shadow's QTEs aren't that badly designed - it's more about timing your button press and the game gives you plenty of fair warning. It's not like you have to press a specific button or anything.

I dunno, maybe I'm just used to this game's QTEs because I've played a lot of action games that do exactly what Lords of Shadow did but much worse. If you want to see some really bad QTEs, look no further than the otherwise excellent Bayonetta. Thank god they got rid of all the QTEs (except the entirely optional button-mashing finishers) in the sequel. Another infamous example I can think of (which isn't really a QTE but might as well be) is one boss in Ninja Gaiden II who will kill you instantly after the fight finishes in a massive explosion unless you block the explosion with Ryu's sword. Please don't ask me how that is supposed to makes sense.

anilEhilated posted:

e2: I never realized you could parry him. gently caress my life.

You can parry any attack that doesn't have the telltale "whoosh" sound effect before it and/or has a distinct white glow in its windup animation. As I mentioned a few videos ago, if you've been attacking an enemy for a long time while it's blocking, it is all but guaranteed to counter with an unblockable attack, so that's your cue to get out of close range ASAP.

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 5, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Agreed on Bayonetta's QTEs being awful, but that doesn't really help this game. I think a big part of the issue with Lords of Shadow is the checkpointing, as the game saves between boss phases and typically re-starts you with no subweapons or magic in the middle of the fight as opposed to letting you reset the whole thing and learn the whole boss (theoretically can be done but takes multiple loading screens).
I'm a huge fan of this game's story and art direction, just wish the gameplay was a bit more polished.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Agreed on Bayonetta's QTEs being awful, but that doesn't really help this game. I think a big part of the issue with Lords of Shadow is the checkpointing, as the game saves between boss phases and typically re-starts you with no subweapons or magic in the middle of the fight as opposed to letting you reset the whole thing and learn the whole boss (theoretically can be done but takes multiple loading screens).

It will give you whatever subweapon ammo or magic amount you had at the moment you hit the checkpoint and, if you are below 50% health, I believe it brings your health up to 50% (at least on Squire and Knight - not sure about the harder difficulties). LoS' checkpointing is actually quite easily segmented if you know what to look for, but that's only if you've played the game before; for first-time players, I agree it's going to be very frustrating.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Welp, then I guess it's time to git gud.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Our holy Brotherhood is just okay with Gabriel trying to find the God Mask to resurrect his dead wife? I get the feeling that's not in our Templar ToS.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

Our holy Brotherhood is just okay with Gabriel trying to find the God Mask to resurrect his dead wife? I get the feeling that's not in our Templar ToS.

Well remember what the prophecy says, according to Zobek: a pure-hearted warrior will claim the Lords of Shadow's power to overcome evil.

To be honest, I don't think Gabriel is the right person for the job, since the lore makes it pretty clear that Gabriel was prone to dark moods and fits of anger even before Marie was murdered. Not exactly a "pure-hearted warrior" if you ask me.

Also, a quick update: We're all caught up to my current backlog. I managed a bit more recording (two more levels left in Chapter 5) but I haven't edited anything yet. I'm finishing my move on Sunday, so hopefully the updates will resume sometime next week or the week after that. Thank you once again for sticking with me through all of this!

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

UPDATE!!!

I have officially moved in to my new place, and my computer (and the thinks I need to record) are all unpacked. I have three more videos fully edited, which Roy and I will hopefully record later this week, and I'll get those out when I can. I cannot thank you all enough for being so patient. This trilogy gets pretty crazy and I cannot wait to show it off.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Great news, I'm really looking forward to you showing off how batshit is the game and how bullshit is the DLC.
Plus I'd really like to see how someone actually competent tackles the DLC's final boss which I just spent two hours on.

Kayvall
Jan 15, 2008

Awesome, excited to see the rest of this. Played the first game when it released on PS3 and know nothing of the following two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

We're fightin' a bird. Yep.

(Also, contrary to what I said in the video, Malphas has appeared in several Castlevania games before (Dawn of Sorrow comes to mind) and has appeared in earlier games as the enemy type Karasuman).