Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

theenglishman posted:

We're fightin' a bird. Yep.

(Also, contrary to what I said in the video, Malphas has appeared in several Castlevania games before (Dawn of Sorrow comes to mind) and has appeared in earlier games as the enemy type Karasuman).

You joke, but there actually is a demonic piece of cloth in Aria of Sorrow- the Killer Mantle. It's pretty cool/aggravating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah tbh that's what I was expecting you were going to fight

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Regarding the bird...

Karasuman was just a censored version of Malphas; it was Malphas in the Japanese SOTN the whole time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This is probably my favorite chapter in the game, mostly due to the sense of scene. You can see that there was some thought put into the dungeon ecology here: you've got a group of trolls whose babies roam far and wide and sometimes wander where they shouldn't and run afoul of the ogre lurking in the fortress itself (and get smacked for the effort). Up above, you get another place they don't dare enter, either because of the chupacabras or because of Malphas' brood - and then there's the tower not even the chupacabras get in because bad magic happens in there, with the crows and curtains - in another kind of a game, it could be a pretty horror-themed area. The whole thing presents a fairly coherent picture while having a definite progression from trivial enemies to weirder (and more powerful) obstacles - I can totally imagine running something like this place in a DnD-type game.

Malphas herself is a great boss, although not necessarily for the gameplay - I just love her design. Sure, she's a giant bird, but something about her proportions is just wrong and it is very disquieting in a fairly subtle way.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 15, 2020

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

This is probably my favorite chapter in the game, mostly due to the sense of scene.

Chapters 5, 6 and 10 are my favourites in the game for the same reason you love Chapter 4, but I totally get where you’re coming from. This game’s art direction and level design are superb at storytelling - it’s certainly better than the actual writing is.

I feel so bad for these voice actors who are giving their all for a script that is well below their pay grade. This is why I hold this series in much higher esteem than most traditional Castlevania fans (and it’s why I love games like Resident Evil 6) - I have a thing for games that try way too hard to sell how awesome their subpar material is with top-tier voice work and massive budgets. We’ll really start to see that with Lords of Shadow 2. Without spoiling anything, it’s Grade A cheese to the extreme, tripling down on all the worst story decisions from this game, but also features the best voice acting out of any of these games.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

I just realized that I completely forgot to put up the concept art for this chapter! Here you go, sorry about that!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

theenglishman posted:

We're fightin' a bird. Yep.

(Also, contrary to what I said in the video, Malphas has appeared in several Castlevania games before (Dawn of Sorrow comes to mind) and has appeared in earlier games as the enemy type Karasuman).

So I know ravens aren't exactly an uncommon "evil aura" symbol but they obviously used bats first right? The ravens even make bat noises.

I guess Gabriel can also time travel since he can go back to the tower to get secrets after it collapses :v:

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

So I know ravens aren't exactly an uncommon "evil aura" symbol but they obviously used bats first right? The ravens even make bat noises.

I guess Gabriel can also time travel since he can go back to the tower to get secrets after it collapses :v:

They're crows, not ravens. Malphas in the Castlevania games is a composite of the Christian demon of the same name and a karasu-tengu from Japanese Shinto Buddhism. Karasu-tengu can be associated with ravens as well, but Lords of Shadow goes with crows, and gives Malphas the name of Crow Witch (it's also a gender-swap relative to both mythology and the other Castlevania games). Additionally, this game gives Malphas conjuring abilities and she is heavily implied to have built the mountain fortress where the ogre lives in 4-1 and the castle/tower in 4-2 herself, keeping in line with the Malphas of Christian lore.

Then again, crows are obviously not bats either, so you got me there.

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 15, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Castlevania has a tradition for both crows and bats and they're usually among the more annoying enemies in the game (especially if you're a classical, air-control-challenged Belmont).

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 15, 2020

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Time to go on a road trip with our boy Zardoz Zobek.

TRAVEL BOOK UPDATES:
  • New Characters: The Abbot
  • New Items: Combat Cross upgrade (stake)
  • New Enemies: Crow Witch Children (forgot from last update), Ghoul

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Why does this game have shaky-cam? It makes no sense.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

IMJack posted:

It makes no sense.
To be fair that is basically the tagline for playing this game.

Anyhow that's a realy cool detail about the goblins - I had no idea an alternative grab move existed, much less such a... dickish one. Our knight in shining armor, folks.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 17, 2020

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Anyhow that's a realy cool detail about the goblins - I had no idea an alternative grab move existed, much less such a... dickish one. Our knight in shining armor, folks.

Yep, alternate grabs are triggered if you tilt the analog stick when pressing the throw QTE. Not every enemy has an alternate throw, but most of them do.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So seeing Zobek again, he looks like a cross between Sean Connery and Christopher Lee

Also, the Chupacabras look like miniature Darkseides

Always liked the castlevanias after SOTN, and enjoyed at least one of the PS2 era ones. I think I have an idea where this plot is going, but I'm excited to see the whole story unfold.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
I hated the Chupacabra. Especially since it made that whole level a bunch of backtracking, and I got turned around more than once.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Nobody puts Zobek in the corner!

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

It only took until Video 13, but we have vampires! *rings the village bell* LADIES AND GENTLEMEN OF THE INTERNET, THERE ARE NOW OFFICIALLY VAMPIRES IN OUR CASTLEVANIA GAME!

TRAVEL BOOK UPDATES:
  • New Characters: updated the Abbot's profile with new information
  • New Enemies: Vampire (I don't think it was worth spoiler tagging this time seeing as, y'know...)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, "fun" is one word for the collapsing ceiling trap. Must've died five or six times there because of the changing camera angle and controls.
The abbey is a pretty good setpiece in general and basing a level on traps and puzzles with fairly minimal combat makes for a nice change as long as they don't overuse it.

e: Oh, and we finally get the murdercross skill. I love that thing.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 23, 2020

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Vampire Killing? Now you've lost me.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

For a religious guy, Zobek certainly hasn't learned patience.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Unfortunately I won't have time to update the Travel Book immediately, but I will get to it later today.

In today's video, Gabriel and Zobek meet a new enemy type and destroy countless precious books. We also finally get to see what the abbot's been hiding all this time. (It's pretty neat!)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Huh, I actually kind of expected the abbot to be crooked or something else, but no, he's just a jerk. I mean, yeah, clearly it was the only thing keeping the vampires away and as such, the only thing keeping him alive, but still, lovely.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
He could have let other people take shelter with him. The artifact would have kept away any monsters/demons trying to sneak along with refugees. Maybe in a way it shows his lack of faith.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I can't believe I never connected the dots. Rest in peace, Knight Hoagie. That being said, the reference does come appear to come out of nowhere.
Anyway, yoy were right, the original version of Vincent Dorin does get bitten and turned into a vampire. You can reverse it, though. Since his only character traits were "cowardly" and "monk", I think they did the reference pretty well, considering the fact they were transitioning from the rather silly PoR into a much darker story.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

How did that one vial suddenly turn into 5 vials on Gabriel's belt?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SSNeoman posted:

How did that one vial suddenly turn into 5 vials on Gabriel's belt?

It's a big vial so he portioned it out to 5 smaller ones.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

In today's video, we fight Brauner as well as a curiously-named new enemy - and be sure to watch this one until the very end!

I've also finally updated the second post with a whole bunch of new information, so go read it!

Bookthief
Jan 28, 2019
Good Lord, that ending was magical. All aside i wonder if Gandolfi ever thought his stake upgrade would be used primarily as an improvised lever to turn things.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

He originally called it the "Lever Handle" whip, but someone in marketing made him change it to Vampire Killer.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That cutscene of the skeleton doing the ninja cat is one of my favorite parts of the game. Just the fact they included it in this story feels that at least someone on the dev team had a inkling on how silly the thing they were working on was.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
I enjoyed the Brauner fight, but took me a while to figure out how to catch the spinning blade of his.

I hated the skeleton warriors. I couldn't figure out how to punch them while they were down (not good at this game) and got to fight them all multiple times as a result.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

The trials for Chapter 5 are getting their own video this update. We also learn a bit about some Castlevania games that never were.

I've been very busy the last couple of days and thus haven't been able to edit as much as I'd like. I have two more episodes with full commentary in backlog, but these have not been mixed. I'm hoping to get those out later this week. Thanks again for your patience!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I appreciate you making the obvious skeleton warrior joke ahead of everyone else :allears:

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Kurieg posted:

I appreciate you making the obvious skeleton warrior joke ahead of everyone else :allears:

I enjoyed the Skeleton Warrior ending but I'm a little disappointed that nobody made a "bone zone" joke.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Weird how uneven the time limits are on these challenges. One of them you kinda mess up, and still finish with over a minute of time. The other one you execute perfectly and use a crystal to cheese the fight and barely scrape by with a few seconds left.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It honestly feels like the trials were an afterthought with zero effort put into them.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

In today's video, we finally enter the mysterious vampire castle, but not before encountering that deadliest of obstacles: a hedge maze!

TRAVEL BOOK UPDATES:
  • New Enemy: Mandragora

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I got the finger snap reference even before you dropped extra clues. Because I am old.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That looked annoying as hell jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SSNeoman posted:

That looked annoying as hell jesus christ
The entire level is a pain in the rear end. Its layout is actually pretty simple but it's hard to get your bearings straight due to the fixed camera being placed without any rhyme or reason. The fact you need to use the spider at three places if you want to get everything (whereas up to now, spiders were - I think - strictly one-shot) is annoying as hell even though you do get infinitely respawning spiders (which is just amazing when you a)have arachnophobia b)easily get lost, like yours truly).

One the other hand, the chapter has a strong sense of place - this is the actual Castlevania bit, most of Dracula's castles have some kind of a garden area and it makes sense you'd visit it before entering the castle proper.