Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

I've got the idea of doing an informative LP of that game stuck in the back of my mind, going over what they actually got right w/r/t the book and/or classical descriptions of hell. Cause Gluttony is pretty damned accurate all things considered, but Fraud is... let's just say Not.

Would you say it deceives the player in regards to what the True Experience is in that circle according to the book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
On the one hand, yeah.

On the other hand it's a 10 wave combat arena made out of reused assets, whereas the book is basically Dante dunking on everyone who slighted him for several chapters.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like an accurate translation then, since dunking on people with whatever weaponry you have is about all they could give the player.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

On the other hand it's a 10 wave combat arena made out of reused assets, whereas the book is basically Dante dunking on everyone who slighted him for several chapters.
To be fair that is true for most of the cantos.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Divine Comedy is the first self-insert bible fanfiction, fight me :colbert:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Divine Comedy is the first self-insert bible fanfiction, fight me :colbert:

No that's either the book of revelation or the gospel of John.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Well this thread certainly took a turn didn’t it.

pdpreciousroy
Jan 18, 2020

theenglishman posted:

Well this thread certainly took a turn didn’t it.

Wow. Didn't even have to buy the DLC.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Just a quick update - all the videos for the remainder of the Lords of Shadow 1 LP are edited. Roy and I are recording commentary when available; so far, we've recorded the first two videos, which covers the first DLC campaign, Reverie. As usual, there's basically no schedule, and I'm editing and mixing commentary when I can.

Thank you, again, for being patient.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

And so we begin our journey into the dark realm of the Lords of Shadow DLC. Many have gone in search of fame and fortune, but few have returned. Will you join us?

As this DLC is an interquel of sorts between the main story ending and the post-credits scene, it should be heavily emphasized that this video has major spoilers for the main campaign. If you have not seen the rest of the Let's Play, please do so NOW before watching this video.

TRAVEL BOOK UPDATE:
  • New Character: The Forgotten One
  • New Enemy: Spawn of Leviathan

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
During the pan around at about 9:30 you can see the needle/dagger that Laura's not supposed to have anymore. It's tucked into her belt.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Funnily enough the Gabriel grapple pinball puzzle was the only area of the DLC I did not have any trouble with; the water-running section's direction controls felt way too sensitive and the sawblade wall is just spiteful.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
The motion comic cutscenes remind me of the endings from Twisted Metal 2

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Starting somewhere mid-video I suddenly couldn't stop hearing in my head that voiceclip of Laura's father calling her name in that weird game D.

e: a different Laura of course

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Starting somewhere mid-video I suddenly couldn't stop hearing in my head that voiceclip of Laura's father calling her name in that weird game D.

e: a different Laura of course

And yet both about Draculas.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Schwartzcough posted:

And yet both about Draculas.

Sheesh, and here I was trying not to spoil anything about a 25 year (oh god how) old game.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
I didn't go back to check the specifics, but in the chess puzzle couldn't you just use the placement of the book/control pedestal on the tapestries to show how each tapestry was oriented, rather than suss it out with the question marks?

Either way, I've just binged this thread after knowing nothing about the game, so thanks much for playing through, and I'll be following along!

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

DLC Chapter 13 wraps up in a...well...uh...yikes. :ohdear:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well uh... I guess now that Gabriel gave up "love, compassion and tenderness" he's ready to save the world that he shouldn't care about anymore. Why did Laura care?

This is kinda dumb.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Zanzibar Ham makes an excellent point.

My first thought, however, is to curse the writers again over their choice to force Gabriel to "have" to kill Laura and do so in what appears to be an extremely painful way. Never mind she just dumped out most her blood earlier on without showing pain, and that bleeding out is supposed to be one of the more peaceful ways to go. It would have been entirely within gothic aesthetics to have Laura drain her blood into a chalice, to skip the pain, violence, and thinly veiled rape. The emphasis could stay on the mutual sacrifices, and why Gabriel still cares to go save the world considering his self-loathing is already sky high.

I've played all the metroid-vania games starting with Symphony of the Night. Those games have a strong female audience. Some of them even have great female protagonists. I am boggled how the series goes to Spain and suddenly it's misogyny city.

I thought the DLC would be better about this, since it came out after the initial game and after the critics responded, but wow, was I wrong.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's a fairly anti-climatic way to get to Dracula, made even moreso because its in DLC.

At least having Gabriel tell you what Gabriel is feeling is a step up from Zobek.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Funnily enough, I did not mind the portal puzzle; I had a lot more trouble with the ragdoll. Looking at the video, I think I never really figured out Laura's combat (and just how long can you drain a ghoul before it blows up) because I got killed there a lot.
Most of my hate for the DLC stems from the water and sawblade sections in the previous chapters - and the stealth platforming in (I assume) the next video.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

I'm not expecting Castlevania of all things to have deep vampire lore but this was really dumb. How the hell do you make new vampires if you have to kill one to make a new one? How did Laura turn into a vamp if Camilla was still around?

Tradition is that drinking (some) of a vampire's blood turns you into their thrall. To convert to a full vamp it should be the other way around - the vampire has to drink all of the thrall's blood. So good job getting that totally backwards Konami.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

It's daddy shithead, where's the bourbon?
What I got from it is he had to drink all of her blood to go into the portal, not just to become a vampire. But I dunno, again, Konami.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

How the hell do you make new vampires if you have to kill one to make a new one? How did Laura turn into a vamp if Camilla was still around?

If im freaking the hec out is correct, then it's poorly explained and bad writing. If you're right, then Mirror of Fate retcons it back to the old method of "drink some of my blood to turn" with a plot point I'm not going to spoil here.

Either way, it's bad and MercurySteam just needed an excuse to make sure Gabriel killed yet another woman.

At least....she consented this time? Yay?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If we're taking mirror of fate into account the normal way of becoming a vampire might require the whole "dying and 20+ year sleep" thing and Darkbad McBaddark probably isn't going to wait patiently for Gabriel to get his vamp on. Alternately, Laura was lying and wanted to commit suicide by Belmont.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think this was like a fast track to vampirehood. Maybe Gabe needed to turn full vamp to survive so he had to drain her completely. It did feel like she skipped some mighty vital info when she got Gabe to go along for the ride.

On the other hand, ladykiller streak remains unbroken now!

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Video 31 went public by accident overnight, so I felt it would be unfair to not publish it properly now. It's time to fight what's-his-face. I forgot his name already.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Someone remind me... why in the hell was Laura helping us to begin with? Okay, yes, it was eventually explained as suicide-by-proxy, sure, but I genuinely don't remember her motivations or reasons beyond being Little Miss Vampire Badass.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Someone remind me... why in the hell was Laura helping us to begin with? Okay, yes, it was eventually explained as suicide-by-proxy, sure, but I genuinely don't remember her motivations or reasons beyond being Little Miss Vampire Badass.

I think the implication was that she believes you're the only one with the barest chance of stopping the Forgotten One so she's got to get you to where you need to be so you can do the job. Now if you're asking why she cares... that is not explained, no.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

I think the implication was that she believes you're the only one with the barest chance of stopping the Forgotten One so she's got to get you to where you need to be so you can do the job. Now if you're asking why she cares... that is not explained, no.

There is an extremely flimsy excuse - if you remember back in Chapter....7 I think, Laura had the chance to kill Gabriel, but didn't, because she was so moved by Gabriel's love for Marie - Laura had known nothing but hatred and rage for hundreds of years.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Much like a person playing through the DLC.
Honestly, it's probably a combination of their (weird-rear end) personal attachment and the fact Gabriel kind of murdered all the other sufficiently badass entities in the area.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Much like a person playing through the DLC.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm feeling very called out right now.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 21, 2020

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Kurieg posted:

Worth it! :)

(Don't worry about it, Kurieg, we still love you!)

pdpreciousroy
Jan 18, 2020

Kurieg posted:

Oh my god, I'm just so happy right now.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Thanks!
I cleaned up some of the clone stamping and added the all important book publisher logo.

pdpreciousroy posted:

Oh my god, I'm just so happy right now.

Well then! You're welcome!

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 21, 2020

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
The implication out of all this is that the Forgotten One is nastier and more powerful than Satan.

That seems incorrect, but on the other hand, there are plenty of stories/games that do something similar, and if one takes the view that there are other gods other than God (as SMT does) then not inconceivable that some lost god is more powerful than the most powerful lieutenant of God.

Not sure this setting has a coherent playbook of that, however.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This boss would be a lot cooler if Gabe was ripping off pieces of his armor to make the weak point. Moving weak points in action games really suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kacie posted:

The implication out of all this is that the Forgotten One is nastier and more powerful than Satan.

That seems incorrect, but on the other hand, there are plenty of stories/games that do something similar, and if one takes the view that there are other gods other than God (as SMT does) then not inconceivable that some lost god is more powerful than the most powerful lieutenant of God.

Not sure this setting has a coherent playbook of that, however.

Satan and capital g God are just other gods in this world I suppose. God is the god of the brotherhood but Pan could turn into an arena boss, which seems to be how you judge who's a god, any time he wanted as well.