Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Mahomes has been doing things a little differently recently where he almost always breaks the pocket, and he doesn't wait long to do it. He's too drat fast and always seems to be able to find plenty of room to wait for someone to come open. Even using a spy wasn't working, he'd just fake out the spy and still get plenty of room.

I was thinking that blitzing some lighter, faster players might help because then if Mahomes breaks the pocket they can go after him with speed and quickness instead of the normal thing where he makes big first level defenders look slow and confused. Dude's just playing so well right now I have no clue if he can be beaten. But that's one idea, you've got to limit the seconds Mahomes gets to stand back there with the ball, and you've got to assume that he is going to break the pocket on the majority of dropbacks

Eifert Posting posted:

So I don't have Gamepass anymore I can't .gif poo poo. Who giffed chief walking away from flag and where is it posted.

heres a version, he's not walking away from a flag but from knocking the referee on his rear end and getting made because he didn't realize at first that it was a ref

https://twitter.com/girlthatscass/status/1219111838094438402

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Fred and Kwon gonna be a problem

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Play posted:

Mahomes has been doing things a little differently recently where he almost always breaks the pocket, and he doesn't wait long to do it. He's too drat fast and always seems to be able to find plenty of room to wait for someone to come open. Even using a spy wasn't working, he'd just fake out the spy and still get plenty of room.

I was thinking that blitzing some lighter, faster players might help because then if Mahomes breaks the pocket they can go after him with speed and quickness instead of the normal thing where he makes big first level defenders look slow and confused. Dude's just playing so well right now I have no clue if he can be beaten. But that's one idea, you've got to limit the seconds Mahomes gets to stand back there with the ball, and you've got to assume that he is going to break the pocket on the majority of dropbacks

heres a version, he's not walking away from a flag but from knocking the referee on his rear end and getting made because he didn't realize at first that it was a ref

https://twitter.com/girlthatscass/status/1219111838094438402

My problem with this is personnel wise, if you send faster guys at him who is covering the receivers? If you've got all the light guys out to focus on speed, who's tackling Kelce?

The chiefs have too many fast wife beaters to focus athletes on the quarterback

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Raku posted:

My problem with this is personnel wise, if you send faster guys at him who is covering the receivers? If you've got all the light guys out to focus on speed, who's tackling Kelce?

The chiefs have too many fast wife beaters to focus athletes on the quarterback

It's risky, but I don't think sitting back is going to work that well either. At least give it a try in certain downs and distances. Mahomes is like super Brady. If you leave him space and time he will destroy you

Also, what you could be doing in that situation is in obvious passing downs just have more DBs on the field so instead of blitzing a linebacker blitz a safety or corner. Pretty sure when the Titans did blitz a corner a couple times it worked out okay.

Playing a zone coverage with flat zones could help too, so DBs can come up and pressure when Mahomes flees to one side or another (unfortunately Mahomes will probably just hit the pass behind them, but it's still worth considering).

One thing's for sure, the 49ers won't win without an incredible performance from their defense. They have to have sustained pressure on Mahomes or it'll be a long, long day

Play fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 21, 2020

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Can the 49'ers create enough pressure with just their DL so that they can have their DB's can stay in coverage?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Android Apocalypse posted:

Can the 49'ers create enough pressure with just their DL so that they can have their DB's can stay in coverage?

They have all year.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

They have all year.

The Titans were getting a ton of pressure on Mahomes (for like half the game) and Mahomes was just running away from them and hucking ridiculous passes on the run.

If there's one guy who just won't care about this pass rush, it's Mahomes.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Android Apocalypse posted:

If everyone is healthy, yes. The 49ers blitz at one of the lowest rates in the NFL.

^ Yeah that's the problem with Mahomes. This will be the 4th time this year the 49ers will face a QB who's athletic and a great/good enough passer (Wilson twice, Lamar once), hopefully they've learned some tricks.

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 21, 2020

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Ok, so the question changes to "can the 49'ers secondary keep up with the Chiefs' offense, especially if plays break down & Mahomes improvises?"

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Mahomes can just float backwards from a pass rush and still keep his eyes downfield and complete passes. Surreal combo of talent and willpower

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

The Titans were getting a ton of pressure on Mahomes (for like half the game) and Mahomes was just running away from them and hucking ridiculous passes on the run.

While it's true that Mahomes is unique like this, the SF pass rush is also equally special. Joey Bosa is one of the few guys in the league who could run him down.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I hope mahomes does a cool td every drive

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I didn't get to watch much 49ers this year until the playoffs. Is it just me or is there defense really young? Like all the draft picks went that way the past three years or so.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I agree. A pick 6 to every member of the defense.

Nov 6, 2002

Right now Chiefs are 1.5 point favorites.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo that is a small line. I can't remember the last time the Super Bowl was a virtual pick 'em

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think that's about right. Like if we looked at both teams, the biggest weakness is either Jimmy G doing nothing or Andy Reid's clock problems, and we've seen a more recent example of a QB having nothing asked of him fail when something is then asked of them (Tannehill), then bad clock management killing a team.

Nov 6, 2002

Better Than You posted:

Holy poo poo that is a small line. I can't remember the last time the Super Bowl was a virtual pick 'em

Last year Rams opened as 1 point favorites (lol), which quickly shifted to Pats as 2.5 point favorites.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kalli posted:

Yeah this is the issue. The pressure ends up being worthless because they can't keep up with Mahomes when he rolls out and avoids the rush. Dude is much faster than he looks. Right now the way he's playing he almost doesn't even try to throw the ball before breaking the pocket, he just waits for the protection to break down and a lane to open up, rolls out and finds someone who is inevitably open because the play is many seconds old by that point. Or takes it himself for a ten yard pickup because most of the defenders are absorbed with trying to cover those ultraquick receivers

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Right now Chiefs are 1.5 point favorites.

To me that's not even close to correct. I'd be happy to be wrong but I think the Chiefs should be favored by a touchdown or at least six points. Just not sure if the 49ers defense can actually make things tough for the Chiefs. If anyone can do it it would be them, but it's still an open question if anyone CAN do it

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Last year Rams opened as 1 point favorites (lol), which quickly shifted to Pats as 2.5 point favorites.

I have no idea the accuracy of this site but it came up for historical super bowl odds

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/super-bowl-betting-history-odds-spreads-over-under-results

Doesn't seem too rare to have a spread of 3 points or less

Some funny ones that jump out are Pats -12.5 over the Giants (:rip:), 49ers -18 over Chargers (which they easily covered :stare:), and Broncos -1.5 over Seattle in the game the Seahawks won by like 4,000 points.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

When Mahomes was first drafted I was cautiously optimistic. His draft comp was Jay Cutler That Tries. I was okay with that.

What I quickly learned is that Mahomes, even under pressure, always keeps his eyes downfield. This was such a glaring difference from Alex Smith, who would duck and run from even imaginary pressure and guys wide open down the field are waving their hands in the air like dude throw it.

I feel blessed to have a guy who has the wherewithal to find receivers when the play breaks down. It's something all the best QBs do.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I saw a funny tweet that says Mahomes plays like Jay Cutler imagines he does in his head

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

kiimo posted:

When Mahomes was first drafted I was cautiously optimistic. His draft comp was Jay Cutler That Tries. I was okay with that.

What I quickly learned is that Mahomes, even under pressure, always keeps his eyes downfield.
He's no Mahomes but you can say the same exact thing about Drew Lock, especially the part about being Jay Cutler except that he gives a poo poo.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Docjowles posted:

I have no idea the accuracy of this site but it came up for historical super bowl odds

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/super-bowl-betting-history-odds-spreads-over-under-results

Some funny ones that jump out are Pats -12.5 over the Giants (:rip:), 49ers -18 over Chargers (which they easily covered :stare:), and Broncos -1.5 over Seattle in the game the Seahawks won by like 4,000 points.

There isnt a Chargers fan alive who thought they'd compete in that superbowl.

No one was beating the 49ers that year

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Better Than You posted:

He's no Mahomes but you can say the same exact thing about Drew Lock, especially the part about being Jay Cutler except that he gives a poo poo.

It's going to be hard to dislike Lee's Summit native Drew Lock.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

a neat cape posted:

There isnt a Chargers fan alive who thought they'd compete in that superbowl.

No one was beating the 49ers that year
Yinzers are still angry at Cowher for losing to the Chargers, when it just saved them from getting annihilated by the 49ers

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Docjowles posted:

Gotta lol at the Broncos ones from the 80’s.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Play posted:

To me that's not even close to correct. I'd be happy to be wrong but I think the Chiefs should be favored by a touchdown or at least six points. Just not sure if the 49ers defense can actually make things tough for the Chiefs. If anyone can do it it would be them, but it's still an open question if anyone CAN do it

It's that close because the Niners can score on KC's defense; they're only 25th in rushing yards allowed (the Packers were 26th and we know how that turned out). We'll have to score on pretty much every possession, and try and slow Mahomes down some and get a few stops.

Take the over, it'll be a shootout.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Chiefs Tag Update: I was up entirely too late last night working on lettering poo poo.

I should have a prototype tag or two ready to post later today or tonight. Thank y’all for being patient and Go The Kansas City Football Chiefs!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It seemed like the issue Tennessee had was they could flush him out of the pocket but not contain him. If the 9ers can reliably pressure from both ends they may be more successful.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Titans had a weird plan where they would rush 3-4 and try to overload the middle of the Chiefs OL. I guess they obviously knew the Chiefs G/C/G aren’t that good but it still looked odd and was ineffective

Play
Apr 25, 2006

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Titans had a weird plan where they would rush 3-4 and try to overload the middle of the Chiefs OL. I guess they obviously knew the Chiefs G/C/G aren’t that good but it still looked odd and was ineffective

Do that to slow motherfuckers like Tom Brady and Drew Brees, Mahomes doesn't seem to be remotely bothered by pressure up the middle because he's fast and will just roll out, giving him a great view and open passing lanes. The problem is he'll do the same thing if you leave any decent gaps in the pressure, which is pretty hard not to do when you're doing your best to rush the passer and get around an O linemen, gaps will open regardless.

I did like how the Titans were disguising their coverage, I feel like that actually worked to a limited extent, especially early in the game. Chiefs adapted quickly though, and good coverage is worthless when Mahomes beats the defense to the edge and picks up most of a first down just by scrambling

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Docjowles posted:

Going through this really drives home that when the Super Bowl has put a team known for great offense against a team known for great defense, the former has often been the spread favorite but the latter has won almost every time

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

Going through this really drives home that when the Super Bowl has put a team known for great offense against a team known for great defense, the former has often been the spread favorite but the latter has won almost every time

Two weeks to prepare is a significant advantage to the defense typically.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Play posted:

Do that to slow motherfuckers like Tom Brady and Drew Brees, Mahomes doesn't seem to be remotely bothered by pressure up the middle because he's fast and will just roll out, giving him a great view and open passing lanes. The problem is he'll do the same thing if you leave any decent gaps in the pressure, which is pretty hard not to do when you're doing your best to rush the passer and get around an O linemen, gaps will open regardless.

I did like how the Titans were disguising their coverage, I feel like that actually worked to a limited extent, especially early in the game. Chiefs adapted quickly though, and good coverage is worthless when Mahomes beats the defense to the edge and picks up most of a first down just by scrambling

https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1219697567220424704

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kalli posted:

Yeah but Andy Reid after a bye week is a factoid in play

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

kiimo posted:

Yeah but Andy Reid after a bye week is a factoid in play

But is it truly a "bye" week when early next qeek he has to leave the comfort of home-cooked ribs to travel afar for inane interviews and on-site hoopla?

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

Just ask Goff.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

They did get torched by Brees this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
boy did he regress to the mean lol