Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I do think this movie needed a bit more blood. I was really hoping gedi prime would allow for some stylish blood splatters to really make the harrkonans mroe brutal but alas.

I know I'm overposting in this thread (sorry) but I had the same reaction. The Baron's death was like he stabbed a CPR dummy. I'm usually led to understand that a jugular stab is a tad messy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah it was really lame. I don’t like the lynch version much but Baron getting thrown into a worm is a much more fun dramatic death lol

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
he should have deflated with a giant fart noise. he probably doesn't even have any blood.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Asked a coworker who hadn't read the books at all and he didn't notice any hole left by the guild's absence, just figured "oh the emperor's pilots must be willing to worm for Paul now."

Which is not to say they can necessarily be left out of the Messiah adaptation but seems like it was fine for the non-reader audience to shift them around like that.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

distortion park posted:

Sicario is his best imo, that border crossing scene and the bit in the tunnel where it's just the Americans unloading into rooms you can't see, horrifying stuff. Makes me think a bit of the raid at the end of Zero Dark Thirty where the special ops people look like weird alien things from a horror movie, just lights bobbing in the darkness.

it's a very specific style of filmmaking and I don't always crave it, but I love the cold detached style he pulls off. It's so wildly alien in the end product.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Halloween Jack posted:

And it didn't occur to them that the KH would find the BG monstrous and reject them.

One of the better jokes in the book is how the BG seem completely ignorant of how their own gom jabbar test puts them in the position of the "trapper" that must be killed to "remove a threat to [humanity]."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

reignonyourparade posted:

"oh the emperor's pilots must be willing to worm for Paul now."

We must all worm for the Lisan al-Ghaib!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Failed Imagineer posted:

We must all worm for the Lisan al-Ghaib!

Where is Scotty 2 Hotty!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Saw it for the third time today. In terms of visuals and audio, it’s a treat unlike anything I’ve seen since Fury Road.

Also it took me until this watch to get the foreshadowing of what Feyd does during the final duel (twists Paul’s wrist and knife and uses it to stab him, just as he did with the last Atreides soldier on Geidi Prime)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

MrMojok posted:

Saw it for the third time today. In terms of visuals and audio, it’s a treat unlike anything I’ve seen since Fury Road.

Also it took me until this watch to get the foreshadowing of what Feyd does during the final duel (twists Paul’s wrist and knife and uses it to stab him, just as he did with the last Atreides soldier on Geidi Prime)

I'm off to my third viewing later today. I'm going to be watching that duel really really closely.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

MrMojok posted:

when that ornithopter flew into a dust cloud and exploded I was half expecting this theme to start playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGgccRlU6aM

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
Went to the cinema for the first time in 12 years to see this. (ptsd and cinema not a great combo)

Absolutely worth it, sat there like a stunned mullet not blinking with my mouth open. Brought back the feeling I had when I saw lord of the rings in theaters.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

I wish I could get past my issues with the changes, but I can't. As great of a spectacle as parts of this film are, so much of it feels dumbed down compared to the books. Herbert has Paul learn about the ecology of the worm and thus the spice, and uses this knowledge to threaten the Guild in a uniquely different way, a Fremen way. Villneuve has Paul just threaten to nuke stuff like any other human.

Kedzie
Dec 13, 2004

they all float down here
My wife went in for a medical procedure that required her to be put under. She immersed herself in Dune content beforehand in hopes of having a tripped out Dune dream while under the influence. I knew she was my soul mate before, but now...! (sadly I don't think she had any Dune visions in the end)

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Kedzie posted:

My wife went in for a medical procedure that required her to be put under. She immersed herself in Dune content beforehand in hopes of having a tripped out Dune dream while under the influence. I knew she was my soul mate before, but now...! (sadly I don't think she had any Dune visions in the end)

I dunno, you might want to make sure your wife hasn’t been possessed by her grandfather just in case. Offer her a black mud bath and see how she responds.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Kedzie posted:

Every time I've ever been knocked out, there's just nothing, no dreams, no memory of them anyway. It's basically just like watching a video that you can tell is discontinuous because it cuts to a completely different set piece in a single frame.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
RNCs are messages from the deep

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
There are new big budget spectacle movies slowly pushing Dune 2 out from the premium theaters at my local one, yet the showings are still packed. I’ve been seeing Dune 2 every weekend since it came out; sometimes I consider watching something else but then I know I’ll be bummed when it’s gone from theaters as it really is that good! (Seeing it again tomorrow)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Just got out of this, have two questions that I think were just me missing bits of dialogue and one about character.

1) Why didn't they use their shields more in this movie? I think there was a part early on where one of the Harkonnen soldiers was about to activate his shield, then somebody told him not to and I didn't understand why. Also, pretty much nobody used shields in the action scenes in the third act. Is this just a budget thing, stylistic choice, what?
2) During the fight scene on Geidi Prime, right after the fight starts, some people want to stop it. I'm positive this was explain in the dialogue and I just didn't hear it, but what was it?

Also,

Paul was really resistant about going to the south the entire movie, obviously. Was he actually resistant or did he know the whole time what he was gonna do and he was just pretending to not wanna do it so he could pretend the whole thing was forced on him because that makes for a better yarn to spin to people?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
1/ Shields attract worms, and if your shield gets hit with a laser you might blow up, somehow
2/ The one captured Atreides isn't drugged (he's not staggering, and they say "no drugs for you today Atreides" when he's in his cell) so they're worried about giving lovely Feyd a fair fight. This is also why Feyd threatens to drown the Baron afterwards

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

MJeff posted:

Also,

Paul was really resistant about going to the south the entire movie, obviously. Was he actually resistant or did he know the whole time what he was gonna do and he was just pretending to not wanna do it so he could pretend the whole thing was forced on him because that makes for a better yarn to spin to people?

he starts out intending to manipulate the fremen. he eventually falls in love with chani, the people, and the desert. but he is plagued by visions of death if he travels south. so, yes, he is actually resistant, until everybody (even including his vision-personas), tells him to go south. he's desperate to find a future where going south doesn't mean mass death, but he can't see every possibility, so he takes the water of life. he then sees that every future leads to tragedy, so he takes what he thinks is the least bad option: the "narrow way through" where he 1) gets revenge, 2) doesn't die, 3) doesn't lose chani. this means turning his back on his character arc in the middle of the movie: betraying chani, manipulating the fremen, and assuming the throne.

that is how the movie presents his arc. in the book the broad plot strokes are the same but the motivations are slightly different

kalel fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 30, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Even at the end he tries to avoid the Jihad by asking the Great Houses to surrender and take his marriage to Irulan and assumption of the throne without conflict, this doesn't work of course.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
More cool little things I noticed on Viewing #3:
Feyd calls Chani Paul's "pet;" this is the same word the baron used to describe the messed-up spider thing in Dune 1. Chani is very very lucky she didn't find out what the "special attention" was.
A neat little bit of mirroring: Paul's two big tests are riding the worm and announcing that he is the messiah to the worshippers in that cavern, each representing what Chani wants for him and what Jessica wants for him. In the former, we get a close up of Chani saying "lower!" and for the latter, it's Jessica saying "slower!" It's like poetry, it rhymes, etc
The more I see it, the more I love the nuke reveal scene- just the general superstitious awe and dread with which everyone looks at these ancient artefacts with the power to end the world. Sometimes I forget how profoundly creepy nukes really are.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, in a world with hyperspace travel and psychic antifa supersoldiers, the ultimate weapon that defines the climax of the movie being "the bomb from Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer" feels almost quaint, but then I remembered the original book was from 1965 and y'know what, fair enough.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Nukes are the ultimate weapon, and the ladies are really good at weaponised gossip and kissing, and the gents are good at maths and knowing how to drive.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

nukes are terrifying.

come to think of it, you don't really see nukes in much of the foundational science fiction of the latter 20th century, do you? even nuclear power, not specifically as a weapon, is rare in pop sci-fi outside of pulpy 50s "atomic radiation turned mr. whiteman and his wife into mutants" horror. star wars doesn't have it, star trek has evolved beyond it. it's almost like there was a very specific need in the zeitgeist to ignore it, minimize it, defang it. possibly even transmute that fear of the unknown into a known fear of the perfudious "other," the mutant or zombie or alien or monster. meanwhile, in dune the atomics specifically facilitate the horrible future paul is locked into. no turning away from a nuclear destiny, but looking right into the maw of the sandworm and proceeding anyway. at least until he chickens out in messiah. yeah

uh sorry, what was I talking about again

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I can't recall if it's in this thread or another Dune discussion thread, but it comes up periodically that Herbert was writing Dune in reaction to Asimov and the Foundation series. And in those, "atomics" are a catch-all wonder technology, cheap power at the root of everything advanced that isn't psychohistory. In that light, it makes a lot of sense that the house atomics remain the ultimate in vicious brute force the various noble houses are all actually backed by.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

kalel posted:

nukes are terrifying.

come to think of it, you don't really see nukes in much of the foundational science fiction of the latter 20th century, do you? even nuclear power, not specifically as a weapon, is rare in pop sci-fi outside of pulpy 50s "atomic radiation turned mr. whiteman and his wife into mutants" horror. star wars doesn't have it, star trek has evolved beyond it. it's almost like there was a very specific need in the zeitgeist to ignore it, minimize it, defang it. possibly even transmute that fear of the unknown into a known fear of the perfudious "other," the mutant or zombie or alien or monster. meanwhile, in dune the atomics specifically facilitate the horrible future paul is locked into. no turning away from a nuclear destiny, but looking right into the maw of the sandworm and proceeding anyway. at least until he chickens out in messiah. yeah

uh sorry, what was I talking about again

Stargate’s humans throw around Nukes pretty casually, they’re not shy with the fact that they can and will use atomic power. They even use them as a pre-emptive strike at least once. I think they even trade nuclear weapons a few times.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

well why not posted:

Stargate’s humans throw around Nukes pretty casually, they’re not shy with the fact that they can and will use atomic power. They even use them as a pre-emptive strike at least once. I think they even trade nuclear weapons a few times.

I like when they ask the one Asgard guy serving aboard a human spaceship to beam a nuke through the bad guy ships shields and he's just like "Jesus christ...."

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Oh good we're back to plot holes, I'm charged up.

w/r/t House Atomics, I know the answer is "it's the future" but it requires the same suspension of disbelief as Battlefield Earth that it's all in permanent function after being locked in a cavern without being maintained for X amount of time.

w/r/t Prescience, Paul is navigating the narrow path. But did he really need to take two stab wounds from Feyd? Did the golden path (in the movie!!) not just indicate to him a way to avoid that or did he have to get pushed around for most of the fight?

In this thesis, I would like to cite the scholarly article of Next, by Nicholas Cage. Dude avoided harm for the whole movie. Just dance with your eyes closed past a few stabs, slit his throat and the plot goes on. Bing bong ez pz.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Scags McDouglas posted:

w/r/t Prescience, Paul is navigating the narrow path. But did he really need to take two stab wounds from Feyd? Did the golden path (in the movie!!) not just indicate to him a way to avoid that or did he have to get pushed around for most of the fight?

We did 50 takes......and that was the best one.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Tree Bucket posted:

The more I see it, the more I love the nuke reveal scene- just the general superstitious awe and dread with which everyone looks at these ancient artefacts with the power to end the world. Sometimes I forget how profoundly creepy nukes really are.

That's why they had to hide them in the Forbidden Zone. I think it would be neat if in the books there was some weird cult of people devoted to nuclear bombs, and every House had their own little clan of them looking after their family nukes.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Scags McDouglas posted:

w/r/t House Atomics, I know the answer is "it's the future" but it requires the same suspension of disbelief as Battlefield Earth that it's all in permanent function after being locked in a cavern without being maintained for X amount of time.

Eh? House Atriedes put them there when they took command of Arrakis. Thanks to Jessica’s pregnancy, we know they’ve only been stored there for a few months. Certainly they wouldn’t lose function that fast.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

Eh? House Atriedes put them there when they took command of Arrakis. Thanks to Jessica’s pregnancy, we know they’ve only been stored there for a few months. Certainly they wouldn’t lose function that fast.

It's a plot hole in both the books and the movie, but in the movie, Gurney solemnly declared "Your great great grandfather's legacy".

My recollection of the books is that they were stored there eons ago but I could def be wrong.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Scags McDouglas posted:

It's a plot hole in both the books and the movie, but in the movie, Gurney solemnly declared "Your great great grandfather's legacy".

My recollection of the books is that they were stored there eons ago but I could def be wrong.

His great great grandfather had them built, but one of a noble families jobs across the generations is to make sure they are maintained just like everything else the house owns/controls. There was undoubtedly a line in the Atreides yearly budget labeled “Funds set aside for the maintenance, repair, and servicing of the most ancient and noble House of Atreides Stockpila Atomika”.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

They're the "family atomics," they've been a part of every Great House's arsenal for thousands of years. The specific warheads or delivery systems might need occasional replacement or upgrading but they're not new as a capability.

It's never spelled out in the books where they were hidden on Arrakis, but they were taken from Caladan when House Atreides made the move. Paul and the Fremen secure them off screen. What we see in the movie is consistent with the book, aside from the missile delivery - in the book warheads were either placed to dig out Old Gap just prior to the battle, or had been there all along, and are triggered remotely by Gurney.

e;fb

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Heh, I'd kind of assumed that the submersible Atreides vessels probably have at least some basically acting as nuclear submarines.

well why not posted:

Late 20th century sci-fi kinda comes around on it, with nukes being humanity's way of punching just above its weight class, or just another weapon in a space age arsenal. Star Control has humanity having put their nuclear arsenal in 'peace vaults' before first contact, and their alien allies are both pleasantly surprised and a little worried that humanity's able to arm their thrown-together fleet with them, as modified ICBMs are the standard weapon for human ships.

In Dune in particular, though, I feel like the nukes actually fit well into the theme of technological stagnation, where there's sword fights and medieval intrigue in space, their superweapons are the tried and true big ol' bombs used in almost exactly the same way they used to be.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Tina Guo (the lead cellist for Hans Zimmer’s orchestra) has a new video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp3A2zGKIo8

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tree Bucket posted:

More cool little things I noticed on Viewing #3:

Yeah, it kinda gave me vibes of Beneath the Planet Of The Apes, where there's the reveal of the human remnant as bald freaks who cult -worship a nuclear warhead. That owned , and terrified me as a child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
April 16th can't get here fast enough.