Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

BonoMan posted:

Thanks! It's got more detail than just straight radar returns, but Reddit has pointed me in the direction of it being mentat powered somehow.

Mentat powered is plausible too. It's not really stated either way, so it's up to the viewer. Nothing like that war room was portrayed in the books as far as I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

BonoMan posted:

The Harkonnen's war map/3D display: Sort of seems to be computer driven? My (not-yet-read-the-books) understanding is that computers are basically outlawed, for lack of a better word due to the events of 10,000 years before.

Is that just a mentat powered display? Would knowing the answer to this spoiler anything in books or am I just overthinking it?
You're not overthinking it.

Herbert was delightfully vague on the subject of computers. The Imperium banned "thinking machines," but he never laid out exactly what does and doesn't count. He was even very vague on whether the Butlerian Jihad was a rebellion against literal killer robots, or a computerized surveillance state, or both. In a later book, a character even has a cybernetic implant in her brain, which she doesn't understand but assumes is one of the dreaded thinking machines.

They have a lot of really complex technology--some of which, I assume, is impossible without some things you'd call a computer. The Spacing Guild has weather-control satellites, for example, though not on Arrakis. There are a couple places in the Imperium (Richese and Ix) which are outside the House system and have relatively free rein to develop otherwise-forbidden technology, which they sell to the Houses. There are limits to what they can get away with, but ironically, the Butlerian Jihad itself guaranteed that the Imperium isn't centralized enough for the Emperor to be constantly sending inspectors everywhere.

The real prohibition seems to be on machines which can act autonomously and make decisions. But like, the dehumidifier in my laundry room turns itself on and off in response to a sensor, and a lot of equipment (like those satellites) would be impossible if such things were forbidden. So the big holo-display (which doesn't specifically appear in the books) is probably just e.g. tracking the movements of vehicles and alerting them when a spice crawler gets blown up or a Harkonnen squad doesn't report in.

I'm not sure what you mean by "mentat powered." All those guys standing around interpreting the data are probably mentats, but they don't hook themselves up to machines to make them work or anything like that. (I think they'd actually get very very very mad about a machine that connects directly to your brain and projects your thoughts on the war situation in the form of a 3D map.)

Something that intrigues me about the new films is that AFAIK, the Butlerian Jihad is rarely or never mentioned. And you don't really have people doing the sci-fi nerd thing where they're like "If they have X technology, surely they must have drones that can do everything, so none of these events should actually be happening, therefore Dune is stupid and I've defeated Frank Herbert in intellectual combat." People just roll with it, or ask actual questions like you're doing.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 17, 2024

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

on my first viewing I thought rabban and the mentats were just standing around a hologram. the idea the mentats themselves were powering it like some kind of hosed up wh40k techno-ritual did not occur to me on my own but it's a cool as poo poo idea

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
refer to the Hunter Seeker scene for instance. you'd think you could have an autonomous robot dart go poke Paul but they had to immure some poor dope in a wall to pilot the thing instead.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
One thing to note is that Leto II very deliberately loosened the butlerian proscription so a lot of appearances of computers in god emperor and later books is his doing

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Again, the appendix in Dune says the Butlerian Jihad was "the crusade against computers, thinking machines, and conscious robots." Whether the latter were killer T-100s or nice Wall-E's isn't made clear, but they were definitely and explicitly robots.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
By "mentat-powered" I think people mean that the chanting mentats are updating the display verbally in real-time as they receive data, which checks out with the idea that technology is advanced but requires a human hand to make decisions or interpret data.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

uber_stoat posted:

refer to the Hunter Seeker scene for instance. you'd think you could have an autonomous robot dart go poke Paul but they had to immure some poor dope in a wall to pilot the thing instead.

Nice use of immure, it's a rare opportunity to bust that one out

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Halloween Jack posted:

Something that intrigues me about the new films is that AFAIK, the Butlerian Jihad is rarely or never mentioned. And you don't really have people doing the sci-fi nerd thing where they're like "If they have X technology, surely they must have drones that can do everything, so none of these events should actually be happening, therefore Dune is stupid and I've defeated Frank Herbert in intellectual combat." People just roll with it, or ask actual questions like you're doing.

I do wish this was brought a little more to our attention in Part 1. It honestly makes the design of everything SO much more enjoyable.

It wasn't until I was watching the Nerdist recap of Part 1 (I was about to go meet a friend for the Alamo screening of Part 2 and had forgotten to re-watch it prior), that I realized that the design wasn't just cool sci-fi poo poo, but rather a reaction to the Butlerian Jihad that had made everything more... mechanical. Once I heard that (the recap has a few little mini-book dives to help things make more sense) it just opened up an entirely extra level of appreciation for it all.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Nice use of immure, it's a rare opportunity to bust that one out

wrong. "immure" is the exact opposite of busting something out

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

which neatly prefigured our current reality lol

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

BonoMan posted:

The Harkonnen's war map/3D display: Sort of seems to be computer driven? My (not-yet-read-the-books) understanding is that computers are basically outlawed, for lack of a better word due to the events of 10,000 years before.

Is that just a mentat powered display? Would knowing the answer to this spoiler anything in books or am I just overthinking it?

This is a game. The Ixian pretend to respect the Jihad Buttlerian rules, and the big houses pretend that the Ixian are respecting it.

I have not read about raizas on Ixian territory, but It would made sense for the houses to sometimes invade Ixian and destroy random machinery, almost like a ritual that the Ixian accept.

That thing. I guest was made with a mix of modern technology and optical tricks, but made so required a lot of people to operate and withouth obvious thinking machines stuff. Maybe the factory where it was created was already burn by the Harkonnen in one of these raizas, but first warning of the visit to avoid hurting the artist/artisans the created it.

Tei fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 17, 2024

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Hover technology way beyond what's currently possible is obviously way allowed, maybe the "hologram" is actually a swarm of tiny drones that receive voice commands by the mentats to form patterns

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I assumed it was a fancy radar output and the chanting weirdos were just there for vibes.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Simply Simon posted:

Hover technology way beyond what's currently possible is obviously way allowed, maybe the "hologram" is actually a swarm of tiny drones that receive voice commands by the mentats to form patterns

There's no blanket rule against "advanced technology" in the universe. Hover tech is possible because of the Holtzman Effect, which isn't really explained but which we're left to assume is just some subatomic principle that can be harnessed

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

well why not posted:

I assumed it was a fancy radar output and the chanting weirdos were just there for vibes.

Very Harkonnen vibes, yeah. Their language sounds like it hurts to say.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

PeterWeller posted:

Again, the appendix in Dune says the Butlerian Jihad was "the crusade against computers, thinking machines, and conscious robots." Whether the latter were killer T-100s or nice Wall-E's isn't made clear, but they were definitely and explicitly robots.

I much prefer the idea that it wasn't a violent war for the survival of humanity but everyone just getting radicalized by AIs and supercomputers making human labours or power structures obsolete.

e: To me, Dune exists now at a critical time of humanity where we are facing the climate catastrophe looming but also how we are each individually media and information saturated to the point that everyone can be prescient about which difficult and violent futures face us. Adding into that mix the parallel of the Butlerian Jihad and ourselves today being made obsolete by GPTs and other large-data models would have been a great move by Villeneuve.

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 18, 2024

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

If you consider Brian Herbert's stuff as canon then it was absolutely a war against rogue AI trying to exterminate humanity.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 18, 2024

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Failson should be shot out of a canon.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you consider Brian Herbert's stuff as canon

This is a huge ask

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

This is a huge ask

Chapterhouse implied an alarming amount (more than 0) was Frank’s actual intention.

Eg every character from every book is grown in a no-ship for a HUGE party

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

breadshaped posted:

I much prefer the idea that it wasn't a violent war for the survival of humanity but everyone just getting radicalized by AIs and supercomputers making human labours or power structures obsolete.

e: To me, Dune exists now at a critical time of humanity where we are facing the climate catastrophe looming but also how we are each individually media and information saturated to the point that everyone can be prescient about which difficult and violent futures face us. Adding into that mix the parallel of the Butlerian Jihad and ourselves today being made obsolete by GPTs and other large-data models would have been a great move by Villeneuve.

It's called a jihad in a book that constantly uses the term jihad to refer to a looming, bloody religious war across the stars that will engulf all of humanity. I get not wanting to go with Brian and KJA's interpretation of Saturday morning cartoon villains twirling their metallic mustaches as they plan the extinction of humanity and instead focusing your attention on the Reverend mother talking about men using machines to enslave other men and the Jihad removing a "crutch" that humanity was all too dependent upon. But to think it wasn't a violent event is to just entirely ignore the the rest of the context around it.

Also, the point isn't that the "thinking machines" (and "conscious robots"--for the umpteenth time, this is plain text found in the novel!) made humanity obsolete. It's that unlocking the full potential of humanity makes those things obsolete.

E:

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you consider Brian Herbert's stuff as canon then it was absolutely a war against rogue AI trying to exterminate humanity.

This understanding predates Brian and KJH's garbage. It's what The Dune Encyclopedia says what happened. It's what's implied by Siona's vision and everything Leto II tells her about Ix and Arafel in God Emperor of Dune.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 18, 2024

hillaryous clinton
May 11, 2003

super dynamic
Taco Defender
It's been a while since I read Dune. Wouldn't the personal shields cover the swords themselves, thus making it impossible to stab someone while shielded?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you consider Brian Herbert's stuff as canon
We will never forgive and we will never forget. Bilal kaifa.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you consider Brian Herbert's stuff

I'm gonna stop you right there

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

hillaryous clinton posted:

It's been a while since I read Dune. Wouldn't the personal shields cover the swords themselves, thus making it impossible to stab someone while shielded?

poo poo you're right. gently caress I never thought about that.

man shields are dumb as gently caress!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

You can cross swords with a Sardaukar, but you both have to take it slow.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Listen, Jack.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The slow shield penetrates the blade *taps forehead*

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

nope

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

A wizard Mentat did it

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Yeah. It's such an honor-bound society that they're really just sparring and when it's clear who's going to win, they both turn off their shields really quickly and the loser yields and dies.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
There’s countless quotes in the real Dune books that all but state the jihad was an ideological war of man against man rather than the plot of Terminator. Sure the pro machine side undoubtedly used killbots, but it wasn’t a side led by killbots.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
To be fair, the pro-technology side probably outsourced all of the actual decisionmaking to the killbots. And you know what they decided!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think they should've just eliminated the shields entirely for the film and went full on Dune 2/2000/Emperor from Westwood in terms of the combat aesthetic.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
No.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

People seem to often criticize shields as a worldbuilding component, but demonstrably in the eyes of denis it's more integral than say the spacing guild. I guess ultimately who's a better judge of dune, posters or denis

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

a patagonian cavy posted:

Cut down by sardaukar is how he dies in the first book though?

Okay, but then his body is caught in a big explosion.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Emperor: Battle for Dune rocked. It had Worf as Duke Atreides and you could laser shields and blow up both your's and the enemy's armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

To be fair, the pro-technology side probably outsourced all of the actual decisionmaking to the killbots. And you know what they decided!

A system that works! :awesomelon: