Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think Messiah's pretty good, it's just more slight than the first book. It's like if the Scouring of the Shire part at the end of Return of the King was a sequel book instead of the fifth of seven endings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Messiah introduces the cool rear end Tleilaxu faction with assassins named facedancers, has a dwarf that speaks only in rhyme named Bijaz, and introduces the series long idea of never ending Duncan Idahos.

Seriously it is a dope rear end sequel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also pretty sure they spot either the dwarf or the shapeshifting assassin and are like 'lol this guy rules let's give him a job'

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also pretty sure they spot either the dwarf or the shapeshifting assassin and are like 'lol this guy rules let's give him a job'

Both sort of, but you’re probably thinking of the dwarf. It’s part of the prophesy fulfillment thing at the climax of the book.

I’m still amused that it ends with Paul telling Alia and Stilgar not to kill the coconspirators before he walks off into the desert. They of course immediately start collecting water. Alia then has a breakdown when she can’t collect Irulan’s water because Irulan professes her undying love for Paul and desire to raise the twins. Alia can’t believe her truth sense telling her its 100% true

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s not necessarily inconsistent with Liet-Kynes being her mom, she just didn’t follow in her footsteps like book Chani (kinda) did.

Even with the changes to Chani's storyline the Liet-Kynes connection feels pretty significant. Liet-Kynes went all in on becoming Fremen, serving the Fremen in the ways that they needed over her own views or goals, was a fervent supporter of the "Green Arrakis" stuff, and was seemingly (in the movie at least) somewhat convinced that Paul was Lisan al-Gaib. So some commonalities with Chani's perspective but also some pretty big divergences.

I don't think it makes or breaks the Chani stuff in the movie either way, just interesting that they elided it the way that they did.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

jeeves posted:

Messiah introduces the cool rear end Tleilaxu faction with assassins named facedancers, has a dwarf that speaks only in rhyme named Bijaz, and introduces the series long idea of never ending Duncan Idahos.

Seriously it is a dope rear end sequel.

It also introduces the fan-favorite fish people Guild navigators.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Do the cloaks and capes that the characters wear over their stillsuits have a practical purpose or are they just there cause it looks cool?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't think the books ever give a reason. Stillsuits are slick and shiny, so I suppose the robes provide some camouflage if you don't want to be e.g. spotted by aircraft. They wear pretty much the same clothes as other Arrakeen.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah it provides an air gap between your sun shade and your actual clothing. Bedouin wear them for the same reason. The garment being heated by solar radiation is held away from your skin.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsK262CALTg&t=100s

In this scene, what exactly is this helmet the fighter pilot is wearing? I remember in the first movie, there was an assassin hidden in the walls with a wireless connection to the hunter killer mosquito thing. What exactly is the mask's purpose in this scene? Is he scanning for lifesigns or something?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Harkonnenly: Vibes

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Qubee posted:

In this scene, what exactly is this helmet the fighter pilot is wearing? I remember in the first movie, there was an assassin hidden in the walls with a wireless connection to the hunter killer mosquito thing. What exactly is the mask's purpose in this scene? Is he scanning for lifesigns or something?

Yes

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Qubee posted:

He's not the pilot, he's the guy with the crazy optics setup.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Arglebargle III posted:

He's not the pilot, he's the guy with the crazy optics setup.

Good post/av combo!
But yeah, as soon as you see lens-face dude being calm and composed, you just know Rabban is going to give him the harkonnen special.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
First impression of the book, it's incredibly funny that the Baron and his Menat are just boyfriends.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I could not help but picture the book Baron as Dr Weird from ATHF for some reason. Thus his mentat is probably Steve.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I could not help but picture the book Baron as Dr Weird from ATHF for some reason. Thus his mentat is probably Steve.

Skim-read this as "picture book Baron" and was briefly STOKED for a kid's illustrated version of Dune

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

It sort of existed

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
:stare:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

On Sunday the Baron eats one gram of spice,
and he feels much better.
Now he isn't hungry—and he isn't a little Baron.
He is a big fat Baron!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Okay now I have to post this thing

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh good, someone else broke containment on Lynch Dune for this page. I saw it for the first time last night since my wife wanted to compare it to DUNC. This is probably not a fresh take, but why didn't Lynch just make the Flash Gordon movie that he so clearly wanted to make instead?

E: I have read Dune the book multiple times, one of my faves for decades.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

C-Euro posted:

Oh good, someone else broke containment on Lynch Dune for this page. I saw it for the first time last night since my wife wanted to compare it to DUNC. This is probably not a fresh take, but why didn't Lynch just make the Flash Gordon movie that he so clearly wanted to make instead?

E: I have read Dune the book multiple times, one of my faves for decades.

Because they'd already made a Flash Gordon movie 4 years earlier. Using Toto for Dune was somewhat patterned after using Queen for the Flash Gordon soundtrack.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Kvantum posted:

Because they'd already made a Flash Gordon movie 4 years earlier. Using Toto for Dune was somewhat patterned after using Queen for the Flash Gordon soundtrack.

And it rules

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh that's true, I had forgotten about that one.

As for Lynch Dune...I didn't hate it? Yeah there's a lot of baffling decisions in there but it's got a weird charm that I can't quite place. Feels like a Dune movie out of an alternate timeline, sort of recognizable but definitely out of place in our world. My wife also got a lot of laughs and confused looks out of the Harkonnens.

E: I also learned that my wife has no idea who Sting is.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 8, 2024

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Denis should've made the Harkonnens all Juggalos, much more terrifying.

LarsPorsenna
Feb 3, 2024

PeterWeller posted:

It also introduces the fan-favorite fish people Guild navigators.

Herbert borrowed this from Lynch, I believe.

FH is a frustrating author because, despite its deficiencies, Dune is a real classic, and nothing else he wrote comes close. The Dune sequels were written because of financial incentives, sure, but it's stuff like Destination: Void that drives me nuts. It has a very intriguing/very stupid premise (AI is too dangerous and hard to develop on Earth, so scientists stick a bunch of smart clones on a spaceship designed to fail and kill them unless they can invent AI) and an engaging plot set up (the characters all know some part of the scheme and have varying agendas to move the project along), but actually try reading it. It's just page after page of technical minutae that to my totally unlearned eyes seems more or less authentic software/hardware babble current to 1966. It's basically unreadable, but you get the sense he's a very smart guy with a pretty interesting & idiosyncratic take on the world, who basically needed to spend another year rewriting the thing from page one. He worked on Dune for a much longer time that anything else, and it really shows.

Incidentally, what do people think of his claim in that interview posted above that the ending to Dune degenerates into "high camp"? I feel like he's trying to put a gloss on an ending that doesn't quite land, but maybe I'm missing something. Dune definitely has campy qualities throughout, but to read it that way kind of turns the whole thing into a farce.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

LarsPorsenna posted:

Herbert borrowed this from Lynch, I believe.

Nah, Dune Messiah was published in 1969, fully 15 years before Lynch's film was released.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

LarsPorsenna posted:

Destination: Void

That wikipedia article is worth a look.
Raja Flattery

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I believe Hebert is on record liking Lynch's Navigator design but I don't think it actually influenced the books.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
What does Herbert think of the movie in general?

I would also like to know his opinion on DUNC, but, well.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MJeff posted:

I would also like to know his opinion on DUNC, but, well.

https://x.com/duneauthor/status/1761238982590173243?s=46

https://x.com/thekja/status/1764679151468908916?s=46

Now, I assume by best he of course means “increased my bank account the most”. I DO NOT AT ALL look forward to more fanfics.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 9, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You know drat well that isn't the Herbert people care about the opinions of

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I mean, @DuneAuthor is pretty clear

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Brian Herbert is the Leto II to Frank's Paul

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Martman posted:

Brian Herbert is the Leto II to Frank's Paul

“My words are not my own, father”

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

hobbesmaster posted:

https://x.com/duneauthor/status/1761238982590173243?s=46

https://x.com/thekja/status/1764679151468908916?s=46

Now, I assume by best he of course means “increased my bank account the most”. I DO NOT AT ALL look forward to more fanfics.

The small death that brings total obliteration: that Brian is genuine here and you share his tastes lol

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's so weird how he says "the best film interpretation of Frank Herbert’s classic novel DUNE" instead of, y'know, "my father's classic novel".

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
He said my father's story right before that tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MJeff posted:

It's so weird how he says "the best film interpretation of Frank Herbert’s classic novel DUNE" instead of, y'know, "my father's classic novel".

apatheticman posted:

He said my father's story right before that tho

More specifically he uses both so it pops up if you search for Frank Herbert or Dune.