Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Saw this last night and thought it was pretty good. Didn't see the first movie but I had read the book a few years ago. I have one kind question that may have been answered in the books, but I didn't feel like was fully explained in the move about the emperor. Or maybe I missed it.

Why does the emperor go to Arrakis physically like that? Seems incredibly reckless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Paul sent him a letter with the Atriedes seal saying "I lived bitch". Emperor knew if it came out the Great Houses would attack him so went to Arrakis to attempt major damage control.

Oh yeah, I wasn't paying much attention during that letter scene because I was making fun of how they went to writing everything on a cylinder for some reason instead of a flat surface. In the book the events take place over the course of years right? With the way the movie jumped I couldn't tell how much time was passing.

Edit: I guess the pregnancy never finished so it was less than 9 months in the movie.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 6, 2024

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

There would have to be some kind of succession war involving the houses. Some upstart Duke's son taking control of spice production and declaring himself emperor would never just be accepted with no war. All Paul did was trick the emperor to come to Arrakis, which I still think was poorly explained and wouldn't have happened, even if it happens that way in the book as well.

I would also think that other houses would use their own nuclear stockpiles and would rather blow the whole society to nothing than listen to the "new emperor." On a side note, the house atomics is such a clear indication that Dune was written during the cold war. They have lasers, shields and spaceships but nuclear weapons are still the ultimate power.