Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Just stopping by to remind everyone that Chapterhouse:Dune has genetically engineered catgirls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Can we talk about how poo poo Richese is compared to IX?

The only thing they manufacture is disappointment.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

david_a posted:

There’s not much info on this, but I believe FTL travel existed before the Guild (how the hell did anyone get to Arrakis to discover the spice otherwise?). It’s just way slower and more dangerous than using Navigators. In my head canon it involves talking smaller incremental jumps and sometimes you calculate/guess wrong and jump into a star, whoops!

As a reminder, the navigators don't fold space, the Holtzman drive does. The navigators make the process reliable. It may be that navigators simply look 5 minutes into the future and see if the ship blew up, and if it did make adjustments until it works.

Perhaps pre-guild ships had to use BattleTech rules for system entry and a navigator assisted jump would be considered an extreme Pirate jump.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

Herbert had changed his views on a lot of things, had a lot of less successful books, then came back and injected his new ideas (plus a bunch of influence from Jodorowsky's production) into his one successful property.

Elaborate please.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why did firing the bazooka at the thopter fail one time but work the second?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Unti today I never made the connection that the nose plugs look like a Hitler mustache.