Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh cool, I forgot this was coming. I’m about to start reading the book for the first time (finally decided it was time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Zurui posted:

One of the things I really appreciated about the series was the nutso couture costumes. It really helped the characters feel relatable but alien at the same time.

I really loved the alien look of the movie. It doesn’t look like anything else, and it’s one of its strengths. I’m hoping Villeneuve goes properly off the wall.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lord Hydronium posted:

I only saw the Lynch movie once when I was about 9, and everything I remember about it feels like something from a fever dream.

Same, honestly. It was late at night on a random tv channel, I was probably about 10-11, and it was just so weird I kept watching

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ugh, Funko pops need to all die in a fire.

These are the only Dune toys worth notice:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bobby Hill?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Because it’s been taken down from all those tweets:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Cunc on Dune.

Duke Paul Shitpeas.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

If it’s fan made, why the takedowns?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

David D. Davidson posted:

Also a big part of the second part of Dune is that Paul realizes that no matter what he does he's going to be the face of a giant violent genocidal war.

And now you can own that face!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Paul Atreides takes a brisk walk around Anglesey.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Vogon constructor fleet.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Dune. Arrakis. Desert planet

How does it have an atmosphere?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They fixed it!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I hope the rest of it all looks 8000 years in the future super weird.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

When you see your space boyfriend succeed and go onto better things. :3:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I mean, they’re not wrong.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Cacator posted:

I'm withholding judgement until we see Feyd's speedo.

It seems we won’t see Feyd until the second film.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Prolonged Priapism posted:

crossposting from the GBS Dune thread: BR 2049 first look vs final frames

Unless you really hate what we've seen so far I'd say don't worry.

Does Villeneuve have Roger Deakins on board for this, though?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

If you look in her hand, she appears to be holding a mask, so they probably haven’t completely skipped them.

Agreed on the gloves. You can buy tactic:lol: gloves with the same padded knuckles now. I don’t know what else they should do, but I’m not really a fan.

Someone found them already. They’re Oakley Factory Pilot gloves.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Off-the-shelf gloves for the heroes doesn't compare favorably to Lord of the Rings though in terms of level of commitment and energy on the production.

I say this because people on twitter compared it to LOTR.

I can see that they both occupy a similar niche, one fantasy, the other sci-fi of an all-encompassing world created from the ground up.

A lot of sci-fi tv/film media is based in the not too distant future with lots of 'here and now' elements just extrapolated up. Dune is a complete world so far in the future that any cultural touchstones we might have are long gone (ignoring the fact that you still have names like Duncan Idaho in there), so there is a reasonable expectation that the universe displayed on screen should have the same level of everything being unrecognisable to us. Barely altered store-bought stuff showing up on screen feels a little cheap, honestly.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Nursing flaps? "Drink, Charlie."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

:hmmyes:

He very much is.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Getting Tom Holland in the underpants would be a big move.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Ian McNiece is so good as the Baron in the miniseries. Some of the other actors are spotty; there's enough subpar or mediocre about the miniseries that I'd call it optional, but there's enough good about it that I usually encourage others to give it a chance.

Huh, I never saw this, but he’s really good in this clip. I love the costuming work here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P14BItB67zE

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The more I see of the miniseries, the more it looks so of its era. Like some Lexx spinoff or so.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

LionArcher posted:

I knew he was going to be a star, and that score is drat good. Wish they had done the next book as a mini series with him.

It’s fun when you can single out an actor and just know they’re headed for good things. I remember noticing Chadwick Boseman in a guest role on Fringe and thinking I’d see him again in a bigger role. He was absolutely killing it, way more than the subject matter deserved.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Turns out, it was Sonic that did.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Detective Pikachu motherfuckers

Ooh yeah, good call.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The pirates of the Caribbean theme is lifted from The Lion King 2, oddly enough (although as Zimmer did the incidental music for LK1 it's not clear if it's plagiarism or not, as some things may have been kept back)

It’s certainly very similar, yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjCryh0norA

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

drunkill posted:

Crossquoting from the superior dunc thread

I wonder if Finn knows that Poe is just lending out his shirt to anyone. :ohdear:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Seagal looks like the ur-example of dudes in wraparound shades who take selfies in their pickup trucks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

u brexit ukip it posted:

A little, but the BGs are supposed to be extremely perceptive as well.

Masters of staying alive, I hear.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

david_a posted:

The main positive I remember was that some of the costumes were neat and I liked that everybody had weird accents. Some of that was probably just from hiring cheap Eastern European actors but I don’t think I’ve seen another sci fi thing were people spoke in wildly different accents. In a real galactic empire the diversity of accents in a shared language seems like it would be staggering.

Might I recommend Babylon 5?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

I thought the footage was gonna be with Tenet, which didn’t make its release? Still supposed to get something at the end of the week from the online Comic-Con thing, I think?

SDCC@Home is over now, though. Its last day was yesterday.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

A ton of trailers came out Friday, but nothing for DUNC.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Studios are sloooowly starting to realise that movies aren’t going to be a thing this year at all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Trailer next month, with the Inception re-release! :toot:

https://trailer-track.com/2020/07/29/report-dune-wonder-woman-1984-trailers-inception-10th-anniversary/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

davidspackage posted:

It's all in the hair.

A minor Centauri noble?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I imagine Duncan Idaho will not wear a shirt for some scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Beast!