Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Saw it yesterday and really liked it. Chalamet was very good and so was Bardem. Harkonnen planet was brutal...

It was too long for me, though. I enjoyed for the first two hours, then got a little restless. And it could've been even longer, the director had stuff to cut. Why not go for two movies then, a total of four? Do the reverse of The Hobbit.

I also have some petty grievances. :colbert: Spoilers incoming!

Paul vs Feyd. Paul was trained by the best trainers, and by Bene Geserit too and in his very first fight he outclassed an experienced warrior. After that he had countless other kills, plus drinking the magic juice could've only made him stronger, at least mentally. Feyd on the contrary slaughters drugged up slaves. He had his hands full with the poor Dr Yueh, for crying out loud. It's like Usyk vs some drug baron's arrogant son -- Paul should've killed him in seconds.

The heat of Arrakis is such that an advanced, space-faring civilization has to sound alarms and close concrete doors when the sun is coming up. This was poorly reflected in the film. Nobody is ever suffering from heat, burned, exhausted, or even sweating. They walk around during the day routinely without headgear or eye protection. Even in the infamous South.

In the first part, relatively little time passes between Atreides taking over Arrakis and Paul joining them. And they had all sorts of problems, from spice production to urban warfare (that fat dude says that they control almost all of the city, so pockets of either Harkonnen or Fremen are fighting). And yet, Leto in this period brings all the Atreides' nukes and secretly buries them in a cave?!

I wish the Great Houses were given more than a passing treatment. The ending felt very rushed. Paul got his revenge against the Harkonnen and against the Emperor. He controls the planet. He controls the spice. So what about some diplomacy? Assuring the Great Houses that spice will flow? Calming down a little, starting to work for the benefit of the Fremen? No, it's AAARRRG I'M RABBAN NOW, WAAAAAR. Either he's completely lost it, or the Houses are much less powerful than we thought. Or they are impossible to negotiate with? Either way, it didn't seem a plausible course of action.

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

That was not Yueh. Yueh got his head cut off in the first movie.

Right! I think my point still stays, though.

AnEdgelord posted:

In the book this is much clearer, Paul now fully inhabits the role of the Messiah to the Fremen now, even were he not to personally direct it the Fremen would launch the Jihad against the Great Houses for the mere insult of denying his ascendancy. The point is even made in the book that Feyd killing him in the duel would not be enough to stop it now since the Fremen would simply say he ascended to be an immortal spirit that fights by their side for the rest of time.

edit: much of the tension in the last portion of the book is not Paul's duel or the political maneuvering but Paul using his future sight to try and guide everything to the softest landing he can possibly manage, and the softest he can manage is a slightly less bloody galactic genocide

That's interesting. I still don't get the Fremen motivation to go anywhere beyond their planet. They want to rule the planet on their own, not have foreigners come and steal the spice, and create an abundance of water. Getting into spaceships (which they don't know how to operate) to fight people on other planets doesn't fit this narrative. If that's even what's happening at the end of the movie -- it looked to me like that's what they were doing.

Zero_Grade posted:

The film was as crisp as you'd expect IMAX to be, but dear god the sound took things to another level. The sheer intensity and power really did add to the experience. You viscerally felt the sandworms as they were approaching and being ridden, the explosions were that much more effective, just exquisite use of sound in a way you don't get very often.

I'm actually glad our theater had normal sound. In the past 5 years or so it happened a couple of times to me and friends my age (in their 40's) that the movie is so loud we tried to make earplugs with pieces of paper tissues. :corsair:

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Everyone else is praising Zendaya, what didn't work for you?

While I didn't particularly dislike her, I was reminded of the quip Sergio Leone made about Clint Eastwood: "He only had two facial expressions: one with the hat and one without it". Zendaya has one with the scowl and one without it.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

- it was brought up where the Fremen get all their supplies including e.g. Chani's ornithopter, my wife also brought that up: but we see that? They loot ammo, grenades, even armor off the Harkonnen after the first scene. They must have been doing that for decades. We also know from the first movie that Fremen are not an unusual sight in Arrakeen, it's easy to imagine that they'd do heavy industrial espionage. Also, Kynes was an inside source for quite a while. They use bazookas, lasers, they are obviously familiar with the highest level technology - it's very easy to conclude that they'd train their warriors in using captured vehicles as well, and therefore they can just jump into the spaceships in the end too

It's one thing to train some dudes/gals with captured bazookas, and even teach the chosen few to fly a copter, but how do you train a galaxy-conquering force in some caves which the rulers of the planet didn't even notice? Again, I like the movie, I just felt that the ending was rushed and silly. Yes, let's load a bunch of desert people with daggers into spaceships so that they can knife their way through the galaxy! All the while staying well hydrated in their desert suits in deep space. :haw: