Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Tertius Oculum posted:

So hyped, been waiting for a proper DUNE production and Denis is perfect. I do fear that modern audiences might dodge it though. Blade Runner did well but I think it was because it was a Sequel to an established name.

I think it's going to be a success. Acclaimed director, all star cast, well known franchise across various media forms (books, movie, TV, video games...I think it's hard for anyone living in the past 20 years to not have heard of Dune in some form or another). It also feels like WB is investing a lot into it, and it's probably easier to market than Blade Runner 2049 as well.

And then there's the timing. It's coming out after the disastrous end of Game of Thrones and the Star Wars sequel movies. People are going to be starved for political intrigue in a fantasy world and a sci fi epic...and Dune offers both.

It's going to be great. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I could’ve done without the heart plugs, the cat milking machine, and the Baron spitting on Jessica’s face :wtc:

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

The draining of the Baron’s face pustules was mine.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Not sure about Dune 2 but I know the sequel Emperor Battle for Dune had little things from the books like the CHOAM company but overall it’s made up or non canon or whathaveyou. The games were based on the Lynch movie more than anything else. Although Emperor says the games take place thousands of years before the actual Dune story begins, it’s basically fan fiction at this point.

House Ordos is first mentioned I think in the Dune Encyclopedia, but even that’s considered non canon. Everything else about them is made up by the game developers.

Roman Reigns fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 22, 2020

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Geez that blows :(

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Are you sure he's dual wielding and the pug isn't holding the gun

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Aces High posted:

This is probably just me but I'm not sure I understand why Duke Leto is wearing armour when he, and the other higher ups in the House, should have a shield belt on at all times.

Armour seems appropriate for the rank and file because even in the year 10,131 that sounds needlessly expensive to give everyone a personal shield

Maybe the higher ups get a shield belt AND armor, while the rank and file just get shields?

Of course maybe they just dropped the whole personal shield concept and just gave everyone power armor instead

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Ugh I'm coming to terms that this movie won't be very profitable and that we're not getting a sequel because of this damned plague

Sucks balls, man :(

At least more people are picking up the book, apparently

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Xealot posted:

I assumed that might've happened because Villeneuve makes slow, beautiful movies that lovely general audiences don't respond to. After BR2049, I was shocked they let him make this.

That was my initial fear but I'm seeing a lot of buzz after the trailer dropped. Moreso than with Blade Runner 2049 and, say, Alita: Battle Angel. Having a cast of big name actors is helping a lot, I think.

But yeah...after Tenet is getting killed, it's hard to stay optimistic about Dune's potential success.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/dune-denis-villeneuve-blasts-warner-bros-1234851270/

So, uh, I don't think we're getting a sequel

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Ccs posted:

Won’t it be super difficult to get all these huge actors back for a second movie and not run into scheduling conflicts?

I mean there's at least two we know for sure won't be back for the sequel so that makes it easier :v:

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

They say they're going to, Oct 2023. I feel that's aggressive and it will probably slip though

Presumably they'll still have all the costumes and props to reuse so that'll save time.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Fights would have been better for me if they weren't so bloodless. I remember thinking in the previews the little red effects on the shields was blood smacking against it and thought that was neat, but no turns out they're just indicators that an object is in the danger zone.

Props to that one Fremen in the coffee cup ambush who punched a Sardarukar's helmet clean off.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Edit: There is actually an HBO series coming, Dune: The Sisterhood with both Villeneuve and Brian Herbert being involved.I'm not sure i rate it's chances very highly, especially given that even here, on a nerd forum discussing the movie, nobody seems to give a poo poo about it.

At least for me, it was waiting to see if the movie would survive as more than likely the TV show would be axed if it didn't.

Movie's a success and getting a confirmed sequel, so now I'm interested in seeing the background plotting and space kung fu of the Bene Gesserit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Really curious to see how space battles work in this universe, or maybe the ships just board each other and its hand to hand fighting all the way down