Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Arglebargle III posted:

I gave Irulan's quotations to TalktoTransformer. (If you haven't heard of it, it's a neural network that completes writing prompts based on machine learning.)

"To be sure, we can grasp the intrinsic structure of the physical universe: what is it made of, how fast it is moving, what kinds of atoms and molecules it is composed of, and so on. But it's easy to forget that this is just one possible universe and that our experiences may be purely limited. Logic defines reality. The world we experience is a projection of our thinking minds."

- Princess Irulan

It uh, did a surprisingly good job.

That owns. Have it try to complete Wanna's OCB passage that Paul starts to read:

"Think you of the fact that a deaf person cannot hear. Then, what deafness may we not all possess? What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us? What is there around us that we cannot" - [cut off by Yueh].

And the one Yueh wanted him to read:

"From water does all life begin."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

crossposting from the GBS Dune thread: BR 2049 first look vs final frames

Unless you really hate what we've seen so far I'd say don't worry.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Fraser did Rogue One, which looked great, and Lion, which was nominated for the cinematography Oscar and BAFTA in 2016.

Villeneuve's films have all been visually very strong, he has a good eye himself. Deakins would have been the dream but I think it's in great hands.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Aces High posted:

Armour seems appropriate for the rank and file because even in the year 10,131 that sounds needlessly expensive to give everyone a personal shield

:nyd: it is the year

My guess is they've made the shields a further function of the armor, at least for the Atreides. That solves a couple potential visual problems: how to quickly indicate something (especially actors) is shielded without an over the top or distracting effect (Lynch), allowing shield effects to be more subtle now that there's a faster visual cue, making unarmored (thus unshielded) combat visually distinct and obviously more deadly, (thinking ahead) easily showing the captured Atreides that Feyd fights is only half-shielded. Plus wearing armor just makes logical sense in a sword fight, shield or not.

If they went with belts they'd either have to always have some sort of un-subtle effect happening, or show it once or twice and then forget about it because it gets in the way (Lynch). There's also the possibility that other factions may have different shield tech, like maybe the Harkonnens do belts sometimes (the better to show off their fashion/rippling abs); when Feyd is in the arena we won't immediately see that he has a shield, and the reveal that he does have one can play in to the characterization of him and his family.

Or maybe they dropped the concept entirely, and the focus on edged weapons is presented as a cultural thing.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

I also took a crack at grading one of the (non HD! :argh:) promo images. Tried to clean up the digital noise in the original and cropped to a more typical film ratio.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

I wouldn't mind that, but I think it's somewhat important that Feyd be at least in the same generation as Paul. He's a twisted mirror to Paul, the embodiment of why the system has to burn down; its inevitable final champion. If he's too much older I don't think that hits as hard.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Paul is 15 at the start, and the introduction of Feyd calls him a "youth of about sixteen years." They're very close in age.

In the Appendix, we get an exact birth year for Rabban; he's 59 at the start of the novel, eight years older than the Duke, and two years older than Shaddam IV. But with the spice they should all look somewhat below middle age.

edit: then again, Irulan says her father is 71 when he shows her the ego-likeness of the Duke and wishes she could have been old enough to have married him (which happens years before the events of the novel). So Frank wasn't super careful about his dates or ages.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 20, 2020

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

I'd wonder if he could sell the cruelty, but Holland definitely looks the part.

C-Euro posted:

Oh jeez Rabban is 59? I totally missed that.

Only mentioned in the appendix. "Canon" ages don't really matter, and Herbert made date/age mistakes even within the original novel. Rabban to me always read as generally part of the Duke's generation, similar in age to Gurney. In the Duniverse people seem to stay in their physical/mental prime until about 70, because of the spice.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

The Waddling Way of battle.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

The first scenes on Arrakis are about how the wood beams that hold up the ceiling are probably imports, the finer points of interior decorating re: heirloom paintings and taxidermy (packed in crumpled paper and wrapped in twine), setting their watches to the local time, and the fact that there will be a lot of official paperwork to do.

Frank didn't really describe anything in great detail, but many of the concrete "worldbuilding" details given do make things sound relatively mundane. The jets can flap their wings, but are still piloted with hydraulic controls, a throttle, an illuminated instrument panel. The conference room has a hologram projector, but people in the back still have to stand up to get a clearer look.

This extends to their clothing - Paul wears a "semiformal jacket" with a breast pocket. Lady Fenring wears a plain beige gown. Feyd wears a tunic and bellbottoms. Lots of robes and dresses, many of them plain. Of course there's plenty of ways to execute even the simplest fashion staples, but the impression isn't particularly otherworldly. What we've seen of the costuming so far is basically spot on.

The (visual) weirdness some people are craving is going to come (rightly) from the Harkonnens and the Imperial court, if at all. See the leaked footage of the Baron emerging form some sort of bath, and the weirdly pale Rabban. I imagine the Emperor and his court will be more ornate and baroque than what we've seen so far.

Bug Squash posted:

Dune is irrevocably a merger of the book and Lynch's movie in most fan's minds. Things like the Baron literally floating or the general weirdness just feel so right. Coupled with the bat poo poo insane Jodorowsky stuff, and the next five book getting steadily stranger, it's pretty reasonable that Dune has become much more colourful than Herbert originally wrote.

Yeah, this is definitely where people are coming from, and I get it, but what we've seen from Denis is much closer to what I imagined when I read the novel. I'd done several re-reads (and gone through the sequels) before I saw the Lynch film, so its look never really colored my interpretation of the original.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 7, 2020

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

trucutru posted:

This extends to other choices like clothing, etc. Most of the non-fremen characters in the book are a bunch of royalty, feudal warlords, their retainers, and witches. I don't have the imagination to visualize how those sort of characters would look thousands of years into the future but I do know that they would look, if not gaudy (for our standards), interesting as gently caress. What is the point of being given a setting that gives you a shitload of freedom to let the imagination go wild if you're going to go for a boring aesthetic? a boring aesthetic that doesn't fit the setting.

Reposting from earlier: The costumes we've seen are perfectly in line with the descriptions in the novel: Paul wears a "semiformal jacket" with a breast pocket. Lady Fenring wears a plain beige gown. Feyd wears a tunic and bellbottoms. Lots of robes and dresses, many of them plain. Of course there's plenty of ways to execute even the simplest fashion staples, but the impression isn't particularly otherworldly.

The (visual) weirdness some people are craving is going to come (rightly) from the Harkonnens and the Imperial court. See the Baron emerging form some sort of bath, and the weirdly pale Rabban. I imagine the Emperor and his court will be more ornate and baroque than what we've seen so far.

Then there's this:

I think that's Jessica? As they land on Arrakis. So there are going to be some more out-there costumes. They're showing the stuff with the broadest appeal first.

Also keep in mind that the color grading shown here isn't final - trailers are graded separately, by a different team, and with considerations like scene 3 and scene 37 being shown back to back, and edited to seem like one coherent thing when they aren't. The simplest way to match colors in that situation is to bring everything closer to neutral gray; to desaturate.

But yeah Denis keeps things relatively muted in general, so when the color pops it punches you in the face. I love his visual style.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

trucutru posted:

Look at this dude:

Does he seem like a weapons master in the far future or a modern guy in slacks and a french breton shirt with a large fitbit at a posh hotel?

He looks like an older soldier wearing the shirt that goes under his dress uniform. Because he's stripped down for a training bout.

Do these look like two neo-neo-feudal nobles training blades in their future castle? Does the vibrating stack of holographic doubles that appears when they touch give a hint that they're not in our present or past? I say yes.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

My immediate thought on seeing Paul here was this, from Rob Roy:

Nothing like identical but it's the same vibe to me - a well used, working undershirt. If I saw Chalamet on the street in that I'd think homeless (same for Neeson), but in indoor-bladefight context it feels perfectly future-feudal to me.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

Jason momoa does seem like someone who could plausibly make a woman orgasm just from climbing a wall real good.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

I merely imagined them (and IIRC they were described in the book) as the whites themselves being turned piercing blue. The iris are still going to be their natural color, as they are not gel/liquid.

Eyes of the Ibad are always described as blue within blue, the darker the more spice the person consumes. The Guild Navigator at the end of the first novel has eyes "a total blue so dark as to be almost black." A strict interpretation would mean most of the characters end up looking like Sam Weber's painting of Alia:

With maybe a bit more deep blue saturation. Most of the cast looking like demons would be a strange move for a big budget film.

Hasselblad posted:

Does... does he have a zombie arm?

Please, the preferred term is ghola.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Alchenar posted:

To be fair to Leto he absolutely knows that Arrakis is a trap and that it represents the Emperor moving against him, he just thinks the trap is that he is being set up to fail to deliver on the spice quotas and be discredited amongst the nobility, not that the Emperor, Harkonnen and the Guild are going to conspire together to drop an army on him.

No, they expect the direct attack and Sardaukar disguised as Harkonnen troops. What they miscalculate is the scale of the attack - which is roughly ten times larger (in ships, troops, etc) than they planned for.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

The easiest in-universe explanation is that big pitched battles don't happen any more. Most House-on-House combat is individual assassins or small infiltration squads. At most you'd get fighting in and around a palace, mansion, or other key structure - urban combat where vehicles have little chance to get up to speed.

The scale of the Harkonnen attack is mind boggling to Hawat, but it's still small-ish units attacking and defending cities with air support. The Atreides retreat to caves, presumably to use as bases to launch counterattacks (raids in to the cities). There's no big meeting of armies until the Battle of Arrakeen, where worms themselves are used like you suggest.

e: Then why do the Houses maintain such a militarized posture? First as a mutual deterrent (like their atomics), and counterweight to the Sardaukar. More practically, each Great House rules over at least one planet, so keeping the planetary populations in line is probably the actual function of most House forces.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 10, 2021

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

watch the trailer again ;)

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

There's also the heavy implication that them working on a navigator is preventing or diverting resources from the work that would lead to the out-of-control humanity-ending killing machines Siona sees in her vision.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

stratdax posted:

As in it was gruelling and painful miserable and felt like it went on forever and you were ready for it to end any minute now but just kept going?

suks to be yueh

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

It’s true, it’s very austere and in that weird way, low intensity. Visually compelling while being anti-spectacle.
BR2049 had a lot of the same energy. It’s fine, it’s part of the appeal in a way.

Well said. This version is obsessed with the textures of natural materials - wood, stone, sand. Everything feels appropriately ancient.

stratdax posted:

"Lynch’s version includes “inner voices”—internal monologues, in voice-over, that, despite being brief, are vastly texture-enriching and deftly add a haunting dimension of subjectivity."

Is this dude trolling, the Lynch voice overs are embarrassing 100% of the time. An admission of cinematic failure; we can't adequately show, or even tell via dialogue, so we'll tell via directly hearing character thoughts.

quote:

"Paul is put to a terrifying and mortal test by a Reverend Mother of the Bene Gesserit (played in Lynch’s film by Siân Phillips and in Villeneuve’s by Charlotte Rampling). But, whereas Lynch draws out both the agony of Paul (Kyle MacLachlan) and the specific details of the tortures that he endures, Villeneuve hastily dispatches the same scene and merely winks at Paul’s afflictions."

Again, seriously? The Lynch version is like a student film in comparison - it exists because it's in the book, but nothing really happens story-wise for any of the characters. We just run through the beats (and slavishly book accurate dialogue) in rote fashion. In Villeneuve Paul actually masters the pain, turns the tables on Mohiam, and she falters, wondering what she's awakened. Literally every aspect of the new version is superior - performance, set design, cinematography, script, communicating Paul's pain, his relationship with his mother. And it actually serves a story purpose in Paul and Jessica (and Mohiam's!) journeys. Here, watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrW_8M3xJow

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 25, 2021

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

The Lynch version was better imo

THE PAIN!!!!!!

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

shrike82 posted:

the lynch movie tried to do something interesting

Tried and died.

quote:

i think dunc will date as poorly as BR2049 - a lot of praise about it is for the aesthetic which is very attached to the present moment

Good cinematography is timeless though? And the design was pretty timeless for both too, being exercises in retro-futures (80s and 50s/60s respectively) and very consciously uncoupled from our present day notions of "the future."

edit: I can understand not vibing with Villeneueve's overall chilly gaze and story/script choices but BR2049 is an all-time Great Looking Film. Dune might not reach the same heights but it is also very very nice to look at and I can't imagine a visual critique that doesn't start with acknowledging that.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 25, 2021

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say Nolan films are particularly visually compelling or striking, let alone potential all-timers. They're fine to good, in my book. Sicario and BR2049 on the other hand are a two part masterclass in cinematic photography.

I think you're talking more about production design? The way the props and sets and costumes look, vs how they are lit and shot. Villeneuve's taste is an obvious cut above Nolan's there too, but I can understand not vibing with it.

I'd disagree that Dune the novel is "rich in baroqueness," in terms of visuals. Herbert didn't give much info about how stuff was supposed to look, and what we do get actually goes the other way, towards the austere. For Geidi Prime for example we just get a few lines about how the city is ramshackle and dirty under its fresh coats of paint and hastily hung holiday banners, and how the Baron's reception hall has some common architectural tricks to make it appear larger than it is. You could take that in a baroque direction, sure, but it's not really there in the text at all. Jessica thinks the Arrakeen keep is "all bleak stone" compared to her Bene Gesserit school, with "shadowed carvings" and "deeply recessed windows". Sounds like what we got in Villeneuve's version! Granted that there are different flavors of "bleak stone" but baroque bleak stone seems like an oxymoron to me. The only set I'd really feel good taking baroque based on the text would be the Baron's bedchambers, which I think we'll (thankfully) be spared in this adaptation.

Herbert approved of John Shoenherr's Dune artwork ("I can envision no more perfect visual representation of my Dune world than John Schoenherr’s careful and accurate illustrations"), which is... well, almost austere. He favors big striking shapes and strong forms over ornament and detail. His paintings are largely monochrome, with subtle color shifts. If there is rich detail it's in intricate rock formations. His ink illustrations are more busy, with squirrely hatching and some psychedelic compositions, but I wouldn't call them baroque either.

Seems pretty likely this stuff was the jumping off point for Denis and crew, and I'm glad of it. We got the baroque version in Lynch, and it works fine too, that film's flaws aren't in the production design. And actually the 2021 Caladan sets are pretty intricate and full of detail on every surface, if that's your thing. Arrakis/Arrakeen is an intentional 180 from that. It'll be interesting to see how they handle the sietch sets.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 25, 2021

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

e: one last thing - shame on the coward denis for not showing me the guild navigators. david showed me those weirdos early and often, where's your version, denis? give me those freaks, I want to see what you've got

The guys in the orange helmets in the herald scene on Caladan are Navigators of some type for sure - their helmets are filled with spice gas and you can catch glimpses of their blue eyes if you look closely. Stage One or Two I guess, not yet mutated fish people.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

The fight coordinator was in the film as one of the Atreides lieutenants, rumor is he'll be the "slave" that Feyd fights in the arena in part 2. So you'll get to see your grievances answered on screen at least.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Even the nobility isn't fully aware of their powers, though. The Baron doesn't know that Mohiam could kung-fu her way through most if not all of his guards, or that he and his family are part of the BG breeding program and that their lives have been bent to suit it.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

stratdax posted:

Is Feyd the Baron's nephew by blood? Because since the Baron is Jessica's father, that would start to look like a Hapsburg bloodline

Sort of, Feyd and Rabban are the sons of Vlad's half-brother (they share a father but have different mothers). I also got the impression that Feyd and Rabban were half rather than full brothers (again, same father, different mothers), but it looks like official sources have them as being full brothers.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Thing is, in Dune it doesn't make sense that the Heighliner should be the one to have smooth shapes that would work well for atmospheric reentry, because it does no such thing.
Meanwhile, at least as far as I remember, the Atreides ships (that I'm not sure they have in the books) don't look like they could do atmospheric reentry.

A little bit of an oversight.

The Dune novels aren't concerned with being hard sci-fi, and specifically disregard the details of space travel. It's so mundane that the characters never need to comment on it. There are essentially zero details given about the spacecraft of any faction, except for hints that some of them land vertically.

In the film ships can just hover and fly slowly in any direction they want to, presumably via a scaled-up version of the anti-gravity suspensor mechanism that keeps their lamps floating. They don't need to bother with being blunt for high speed atmospheric entry.

The Guild ships are only ever described as "big" in the novels. I didn't love (or hate) the look of them in this version, but the idea that they should look like bulky, ominous, prehistoric monoliths seems right to me. Some Heighliners are thousands of years old. The space technology in Dune, particularly on the Heighliners, and especially in this film version, is so far beyond us that we shouldn't expect to see anything recognizable.

At least parts of the Heighliners are pressurized, so there's a hard sci-fi reason for them not to be angular.

The details of space travel and planetary landings hardly matter to the story or plot, so for this film they did an ominous, overbearing, brutalist retro-future vibe, and it works great.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

My father, the Padishah Emperor, was seventy-two yet looked no more than thirty-five the year he encompassed the death of Duke Leto and gave Arrakis back to the Harkonnens.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

FADE IN:

EXT. ARENA - DAY

FEYD RAUTHA stands statuesque before an enormous cheering crowd. Their cries are indistinct at first, but coalesce into three powerfully repeated syllables:

CROWD: Love-ly Feyd! Love-ly Feyd! Love-ly Feyd!

Feyd slowly turns, dappled light playing across his body and face, and looks directly into camera as the crowd becomes ever louder.

FEYD OUT

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Where it ever was, young sirra.

glares at you meaningfully in Bene Gesserit

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

Wonder if the arena is just gonna have some diegetic dome that cuts out colored light? Or maybe the movie will present it as some kind of flashback.

Or layer it with Hawat/Baron/Margot commentary or narration, if they keep the multiple plots happening in the novel version.

But yeah the arena in particular looks like something from an old Holywood historical epic, the vibe is perfect.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

In the novel, polar orbits (the ones that would be useful and pass over Arrakeen and the other cities at high northern latitudes) aren't allowed by the Guild because that would mean overflight of the south polar regions, where Fremen activity is becoming obvious. The Fremen bribe the Guild to discourage overflight of the south pole.

e: you also see Yueh disable the shield, but it's a purely visual thing - a room with huge machinery that stops moving iirc.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxB2gbByd4k

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

FBS posted:

Not watching this clip until the 25th is my gom jabbar

I will scroll past spoilers.
I will permit them to pass over me and through me.
And when DUNC2 is out, I will turn the inner eye to reveal hidden text.
Where spoilers have gone there will be nothing new. Only discussion remains.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

mostly because it looks cool but his thopter's shield does get popped by a missile after he blasts a bunch of the invading landing ships:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA6X09D7Gyk&t=27s

e: the nuclear shield/lasgun interaction can destroy one or the other, or both. It's unpredictable, in the books at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

tell me about the drip of your homeworld