Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

They're going all the way.

Like, Brian all the way? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gatts posted:

Maybe they should bring Duncan back and spin him off into his own movie series set in the Dune universe but nothing to do with the books. Just Duncan Idaho having space adventures

That’s 5/6 of the books though

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shanty posted:

I feel like most of Messiah is kind of unfilmable. Not in the psychedelic way people usually say Dune is unfilmable, but so much stuff happens in it that basically goes nowhere.
E.g. Scytale's whole deal: He intricately infiltrates Paul's court wearing a stolen face. Paul sees through him instantly, but then goes along with it anyway. But it turns out it wasn't much of a double cross anyway, more like a really weird sales pitch... With a dwarf. Absolutely no part of that seems like riveting cinema. Except for the bit with the Stone Burner which is weirdly underdetailed in the book anyway. I bet they'll keep the Stone Burner and Paul walking into the desert and basically rewrite the rest, centered around Chani and possibly Alia somehow.

With the way Frank Herbert writes you can actually be pretty creative with who you “center” on and still have a true to the book adaption.

For example in Messiah without too much of a stretch you could center almost all your time on Irulan, Chani and Alia. ie Paul barely even being in the movie would be one way to get the right “vibe”

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 5, 2024

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Huxley posted:

This was basically my exact thought walking out of D2 the first time:

If we’re reposting our own takes

quote:

“That could only mean Chani was nearby—*Chani, his soul*, Chani his sihaya, sweet as the desert spring, Chani up from the palmaries of the deep south.”
Chapter 40

A movie can’t dwell in Paul’s thoughts doubting that he is the Lisan al-Gaib, doubting his prescience and righteousness of his actions. So, the movie needs an alternative:

From Villeneuve:
“She is the one who helped me to bring the movie to where I wanted it to be. There’s a precise moment in the movie where suddenly you feel that her perspective on the story becomes the main one. I thought that to bring a new perspective on what Paul is becoming, to use Chani would be absolutely perfect. That’s why all the movie’s built into their relationship and the build of trust between them, and why Chani becomes slowly attracted to Paul”

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/dune-part-two-denis-villeneuve-interview-five-things-we-learned/

So, what he’s doing here is giving Chani the role in the film of voicing Paul’s *internal* doubts. I think it’s pretty clever even if I think book Chani doesn’t get enough credit for being a strong character because so much is “off screen” (note: *lots* of important moments for *lots* of characters are “off screen” in the books).

Now, he hasn’t talked about Messiah but there’s something very clever he’s set himself up to do. Paul has a lot of *different* doubts about his actions but the ones Chani expressed are “settled”, to an extent anyway. How do we do that in the film? Well, as I quoted even the book says that Chani is Paul’s soul so we just have to look at their relationship.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Buttchocks posted:

I want an animated Fremen Babies spin-off series.

Fremen Babies featuring the huntress of a billion worlds

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sega 32X posted:

Since we are in the stupidest, silliest timeline I hope we get an adaptation of God Emperor in 10 years and Villaneuve is replaced by someone garbage. Just 4 hours of a giant CGI worm man yelling at a 55 year old Jason Momoa about philosophy 201 stuff about machiavelli and tyrants and stuff.

Jason Momoa gets repeatedly crushed by the CGI worm man.

IIRC Moneo and then later Teg both look suspiciously like Leto so the Idaho gholas can have their memory triggers run so Oscar Isaac.

Normally I’d complain that Herbert clearly had no understanding of genetics or passage of time but Ghanima, Jessica and Irulan probably planned this poo poo out for 200 generations

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tree Bucket posted:

It really did.
It's the same category as the Lord of the Rings movies. They're great, they're clearly made by people who care what they're doing, and while they're not perfect there is no universe in which we get better versions. If the studio execs had their way, Dune 2 would have a scene where a harkonnen gets sucked under the sand by a mini worm accompanied by a high-pitched scream and then Chani would look back towards the camera and say "well THAT happened."

It occurs to me God Emperor of Dune could go full full “gently caress you” to WB’s face just like The Matrix Resurrections and still be true to the books.

Leto: Moneo! Things have changed. The market's tough. I'm sure you can understand why our beloved parent company, Warner Brothers, has decided to make a sequel to the trilogy.
Moneo: lord?
Leto: They informed me they're gonna to do it with or without us.
Moneo: uh…. yes, lord. The new Duncan gh…
Leto: that's the thing about stories... they never really end do they?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cognac McCarthy posted:

E: nm

Unrelated question: At the beginning of the movie, when the Harkonnen troops are landing and the Fremen scatter, does Stilgar tell Paul and Jessica to "stay here"? If so, why? The Harkonnens are coming and Stilgar does want Paul and Jessica back at the sietch, so why encourage them to stay put and presumably get killed?

It’s a feint (within a feint (within a feint))

Joking aside, it is a pretty simple bait/flank tactic.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Qubee posted:

I've never read the books but I remember stumbling across the fact that Paul eventually becomes an inhuman blob-like creature, I wonder how the movies are gonna handle that

that’s book 4, messiah is book 2

and that’s not paul.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blood Boils posted:

Eh I dunno about that, he could have the guild keep them on arrakis and rule from Caladan if he wanted to

Presumably Alia would still go do her huntress of a billion worlds thing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

this is just getting the basic facts of the book wrong, not only does Paul explicitly reject the Golden Path (Children of Dune spoilers) ,something that Leto II chides him over when he reveals to Paul that his prescience extends even further and that the Golden Path is the ONLY path of survival for humanity and that Paul's preferred path of destroying Spice forever through turning Arrakis into a green paradise would result in the final extinction of humanity by stranding them in one place, but even in the first book it is EXTREMELY clear on the point that the Fremen will raise him up as Messiah whether he wills it or not and even killing himself will just force that role on either his mother or sister. He would have to intentionally kill not only himself but his whole family, Chani, Stilgar, every single Fremen he ever met and accept the final destruction of his entire family line

Even if he did that in 4000 years the previously thought defeated AI apocalypse will wipe out humanity.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sean10mm posted:

Paul's not perfect or infallible, he's just better than any real life "great man" could be and yet he's basically at the mercy of historical forces to the point where he can see there's a holy war killing billions even if he dies before it happens.

Hell, I think Leto II even had doubts, and he's a double super psychic

the goal of the golden path was to give humanity a chance. FTL computers meant computer prescient which meant humanity was doomed without Siona’s genes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

I think that's heavily exaggerating things. The one time it's mentioned, Leto 2 immediately dismisses it as a solved problem.

Since I will never argue against completely disregarding Brian’s (realistically, Kevin J Anderson’s) writing and only weakly defend heretics and Chapterhouse: sure.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blood Boils posted:

For dudes who allegedly can see all the futures they could have avoided a lot of internal family drama & murder if they just warned Alia

"so yea at some point Ol' Rapey Grandpa is gonna try to possess you which will, amongst other things, force your nephew to become the Immortal Dickless Worm King at way too young an age which in turn means his whole reign and pinnacle of human civilization is just him goading everyone else into putting him out of his misery"

Like, why not let Leto 2 grow up and live a little first before he becomes a post-human monster? Surely him being miserable isn't essential to the plan!

Prescience seems wasted on feudal people, no imagination at all

Oracles cannot see each other…. except for when they can.

The only sense I can make of it is that there’s some sort of tier system

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Buttchocks posted:

Also who said that humanity is at risk of being wiped out? Oh right, the worm emperor guy who claims he's also the only hope to prevent it. Sure let's trust that guy.

Paul knew. I tried to pick a quote but just go back and read chapter 54 in Children after reading GEoD.

Ghanima knew too. Chapter 13

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It’s funny that the more you talk about about Dune the more you end up sounding like Leto II

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

How come no one knows how this dude died lol. Is the book that bad

On average Duncan Idaho died by being crushed in cave

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't really know what frank thought DNA was ultimately. It's sort of like the duniverse version of phlogiston or ether basically

If he knew anything other than “stuff in the nucleus of cells” he would’ve been named in a Nobel prize in medicine and been a founder of molecular biology.

For example the first academic paper describing the concept of the genetic code was published a year after Dune was published.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

It's so funny seeing all the posts about how Stilgar was degraded and cheapened by his blind faith and, yeah, that's what Paul thinks in the novel too.

This better be in Messiah word for word

quote:

““Stilgar,” Paul said, “you urgently need a sense of balance which can come only from an understanding of long-term effects. What little information we have about the old times, the pittance of data which the Butlerians left us, Korba has brought it for you. Start with the Genghis Khan.”
“Ghengis . . . Khan? Was he of the Sardaukar, m’Lord?”
“Oh, long before that. He killed . . . perhaps four million.”
“He must’ve had formidable weaponry to kill that many, Sire. Lasbeams, perhaps, or . . .”
“He didn’t kill them himself, Stil. He killed the way I kill, by sending out his legions. There’s another emperor I want you to note in passing—a Hitler. He killed more than six million. Pretty good for those days.”
“Killed . . . by his legions?” Stilgar asked.
“Yes.”
“Not very impressive statistics, m’Lord.”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

This is a huge ask

Chapterhouse implied an alarming amount (more than 0) was Frank’s actual intention.

Eg every character from every book is grown in a no-ship for a HUGE party

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Maybe, or maybe that was where Frank wanted to go with the universe later on, but it might not have been his original idea. He was a weird old crank by the end of his life so you don't have to care what he says if you don't want to.

It’s concerning that there are not that many less stupid options for scytale’s genetic chekov’s gun.

If you have read Frank’s books and not anything about hunters or sandworms read the Wikipedia summaries, they’re hilarious. eg:

quote:

On the no-ship, rebel Bene Gesserit attempt to murder the Leto II ghola, but are foiled when he transforms into a sandworm.

A good bit for a short story on ao3, but come on

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kopmala posted:

I wish I could tell you the source for that quote, but I saw it and sent it to myself as a text message (I routinely do this with topics I'm interested in). It was so drat long ago that I seriously can't remember where it came from.

It feels right, but there are a few things I’d point out:
Cyborgs are in Chapterhouse
Daniel and Marty are in Chapterhouse
The Atreides are established in Children of Dune to truly be direct descendants of Atreus via Agamemnon which I believe makes the name about 25000 years old as of the first novel. (That’s a hell of a genetic curse)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kalel posted:

e: and yeah you should be going in to the book viewing the characters (as with most 20th century science fiction) as "products of their time"

Dune (the first book) is actually extremely progressive for 1965.

Somehow it goes downhill from there. I haven’t read into biographies and such for Frank Herbert but I read someone claiming that Herbert’s wife did a lot of editing and suddenly heretics and especially Chapterhouse snap into focus…

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

I think the passage you're referring to is one of the chapter opening epigraphs, and while Frank Herbert was totally a lolbertarian weirdo, I wouldn't take anything said in those as an expression of Frank's own true beliefs. The epigraphs are nearly always some individual character's secondary perspective on the novels' events.

It’s mentioned a few times iirc. The simple reading is that it’s one of the lessons that Leto II “ingrained” in humanity to force the scattering.

It is also really funny with the context of Frank’s IRS problems.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

Question about differences between the books and the movies: Is the movie version of Chani not the daughter of Liet-Kynes? I can see why they would leave it out, to emphasize Chani being a "real Fremen" and bolster her disdain of offworlders, but on the other hand that connection is pretty important to the whole "vision of a green Arrakis" thing.

It’s not necessarily inconsistent with Liet-Kynes being her mom, she just didn’t follow in her footsteps like book Chani (kinda) did.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also pretty sure they spot either the dwarf or the shapeshifting assassin and are like 'lol this guy rules let's give him a job'

Both sort of, but you’re probably thinking of the dwarf. It’s part of the prophesy fulfillment thing at the climax of the book.

I’m still amused that it ends with Paul telling Alia and Stilgar not to kill the coconspirators before he walks off into the desert. They of course immediately start collecting water. Alia then has a breakdown when she can’t collect Irulan’s water because Irulan professes her undying love for Paul and desire to raise the twins. Alia can’t believe her truth sense telling her its 100% true

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MJeff posted:

I would also like to know his opinion on DUNC, but, well.

https://x.com/duneauthor/status/1761238982590173243?s=46

https://x.com/thekja/status/1764679151468908916?s=46

Now, I assume by best he of course means “increased my bank account the most”. I DO NOT AT ALL look forward to more fanfics.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 9, 2024

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I mean, @DuneAuthor is pretty clear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Martman posted:

Brian Herbert is the Leto II to Frank's Paul

“My words are not my own, father”