Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

When I read DUNE as a kid I'd imagined that the Atreides wore semi-formal military inspired dress, sort of nautical-futurism, harkening back to TE Lawrence and the colonial role they play. Harkonnen were more ornate, dressed in a more baroque or even victorian style - more cummerband and pocketwatch, lots of gold. Fremen I'd imagined wearing black thawb with accessories by g-shock.

Atreides wearing techno armor isn't my choice, but it totally works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

wonder if there'll be any backlash for this movie appropriating a lot from arab cultures

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

clearly a DUNC branded worm farm is necessary

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

COVID hasn't hit that hard here, wish they'd release it where cinemas are open.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

phasmid posted:

People's dismissal of the virus just downright baffles me. Everyone's got some reason why it won't effect them and life should just continue as such. A bunch of high ranking people in the US government just got COVID and still people are saying nonsense like this.

There's just not that much COVID here in Sydney. Theaters are open, but sessions are staggered and people are encouraged to wear masks. Ushers are organising the rows so that no one is sitting too close to a stranger. Most bars and restaurants are functioning in some capacity.

phasmid posted:

I didn't know the poster's point of origin, which is why I specified where I'm coming from. I don't know where the lines are where places are "free of COVID" and "not free of COVID". "Pandemic" spells it all out imo.

The reason it makes me mad is that you can't visit dying loved ones in the hospital and I've lost two in the last month. Regardless of what country they live in, it's comparable because we didn't used to have a problem with the virus where I am either. And once enough people had pointed that out, everyone got really carefree and loose about it. Now we have a lot of cases.

I don't know where you are either, i'm guessing the USA. Things are different outside America. Sorry you've had a rough time with COVID.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Make part 2 in the James Cameron Pandora machine but don’t provide any instructions on how to operate it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

THIS FILM DEDICATED TO THE BRAVE MUJAHIDEEN FIGHTERS OF ARRAKIS

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

there’s no overly bad casting for the Emperor because there’s so many possible takes

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

camels tho

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Her version would have scrubbed the colonialist stuff...

I would take anything she says about colonialism to be instantly wrong, remembering that she has two (2) children with Elon "African Emerald Mine Heir" Musk.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Pop on some creepy de-aging tech and let him do whatever he wants, we're in the hands of an expert here.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Xealot posted:

Mick Jagger, Sting, and now sort of Elvis. Can't wait for a Dune reboot in 2050 where the actor who plays Jungkook in a BTS biopic plays Feyd.

He's not 'sort of Elvis' any more than Taron Egerton is Elton John. Actors do not become the people they portray.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Being 'stuck in Elvis mode' is not the same as being Elvis, or being 'sort of Elvis'.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

What the gently caress does that even mean.

Austin Butler is not Elvis, he is not "sort of Elvis", he is merely an actor who has played Elvis and adopted some of Elvis' mannerisms and speech patterns.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

More importantly, is Hayt really Duncan?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, kinda the whole point of the Golden Path is to give humanity the 'smoke the whole pack' treatment of authoritarianism and monoculturel

lmao

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

smdh if you think Waken can’t still cut a rug

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

do you not know how old men work? It’s all static until they hear some music from like, cowboy times, and they start gliding around like they’re made of air

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Butlerian Jihad time

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

(I picked up the book yesterday and I'm about to the hunter-seeker part, and I've really enjoyed finding out a lot of what went unsaid in the movie),

keep going lol

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I’d assumed that we are skipping Leto II and getting worm Tim

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I’ll see you all in the thread for it next time this year.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

shoutout DUNE 2 from the 90s for inventing what we know as the RTS

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I thought Walken was good, he seemed kinda doddering and a bit out of it. Like the emperor...

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

would’ve been better if they got DaFoe, agreed all

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The way the colours came back in the shadows messed with my brain

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I don’t think it’s impossible for DV to make this work in part 3. The guild stuff is neat but i trust DV with what he’s adapted.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The doubt about Villeneuve being “not an action director” is unfounded. BR2049 has incredible action scenes, they’re just really short outside of the finale. Think about K getting pulled out of the spinner, or when he smashes through the wall. Iconic stuff.

Sicario is also packed with action, it’s just approached through the Villeneuve lens of “violence is terrifying”. The border crossing is the perfect example.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

kalel posted:

nukes are terrifying.

come to think of it, you don't really see nukes in much of the foundational science fiction of the latter 20th century, do you? even nuclear power, not specifically as a weapon, is rare in pop sci-fi outside of pulpy 50s "atomic radiation turned mr. whiteman and his wife into mutants" horror. star wars doesn't have it, star trek has evolved beyond it. it's almost like there was a very specific need in the zeitgeist to ignore it, minimize it, defang it. possibly even transmute that fear of the unknown into a known fear of the perfudious "other," the mutant or zombie or alien or monster. meanwhile, in dune the atomics specifically facilitate the horrible future paul is locked into. no turning away from a nuclear destiny, but looking right into the maw of the sandworm and proceeding anyway. at least until he chickens out in messiah. yeah

uh sorry, what was I talking about again

Stargate’s humans throw around Nukes pretty casually, they’re not shy with the fact that they can and will use atomic power. They even use them as a pre-emptive strike at least once. I think they even trade nuclear weapons a few times.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the delivery of “green paradise” really stuck with me

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

we should do it to be legends

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

They're going all the way.

GREEN PARADISE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I assumed it was a fancy radar output and the chanting weirdos were just there for vibes.