Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dune is maybe my favourite book, and Villeneuve is my favourite currently active director so yeah I'm trying to not be too hype about it, but I'm undeniably excited.

I'm re-reading the book right now, and every time I do I keep forgetting that the entire narrative is explicitly framed as a religious text dramatization of the rise of Paul Atreides, which is something no adaptation has really touched upon. I don't know how you'd do it, but marking the story as a piece of mythology from the get-go gives the story such a strong theatrical vibe which the Lynch adaptation honestly nailed. Maybe that wouldn't work so well for a modern adaptation, but I think Dune fundamentally needs some of that galactic scale, almost creation myth-like sensibility and I hope the movie doesn't disappoint in that area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

God that movie has so much personality, even though I recognize it's kind of a poo poo adaptation, it really should not have as bad a reputation as it does, it's so loving entertaining.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DUNC

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah I think it's a fair interpretation of that house, even if it's not very visually remarkable. Now if you show us Harkonnen and they are equally as dull then it'd be a problem.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

It’s set like 20k years in the future looking like a modern military with the serial numbers filed off is lame no excuses. Frankly even the Lynch Atreides stuff is a little too recognizable but at least they’re wearing fur coats and carrying lapdogs so there’s some characterization besides “boring military guys”

I mean it's not like the source material makes the Atreides much more colourful.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

The book sucks too is an even worse excuse!

It's, good, actually, and everything on Caladan is a miniscule part of the story so who cares.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DAD NO posted:

i'm really afraid of the changes they're making to this adaptation. like how they're changing baron harkonnen from a madman spice addict to a more calculated bond-style villain. but that could work out okay all things considered.

Where is this coming from

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If Jodorowsky's Dune had happened we might never have gotten Alien, and that's not a worthwhile trade.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/1299362065933627394?s=20

worm sign

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The teaser trailer leaked, and I can't repost it because it's already gone, but it's important to note that they totally kept the D U N C logo.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

One of the cool things about Dune IMO is that it IS relatively mundane - to a point. It keeps gradually introducing weird poo poo like the Gom Jabbar and the guild navigators and sandworms on the edges, deliberately making you go what the HELL is this poo poo. It starts out as a sci-fi feudal fairytale but then gradually evolves into an insane drug-fuelled messiah complex, and that process wouldn't work if everything looked like Psygnosis box art from the get-go.

I remember writing an essay on the book when I was like 18 and in order to convey what it actually was I lent my teacher the Lynch movie on VHS. She loved Twin Peaks and so was pleasantly surprised at first, but had to stop at around the halfway point because it just got too fuckin weird for her.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That brief taste of the score is very good

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hans Zimmer... is good

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think it looks good, but I wish the colours were more vibrant. Like Arrakis should feel blazing and desolate and bright at all times.

This would make a great paperback cover if like it wasn't just so loving dark.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

The part where Paul and Jessica run from the worm to the rocks is at dusk in the book too though?

Who gives a poo poo, it would be a way better visual if there was any colour there at all

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I certainly don't think it looks bad, and it fits with a lot of Villeneuve's pre-BR 2049 movies, but compared to that movie in particular, I do think it looks drab and dark and dull.

I do not get the sense that this is an alien desert planet. I get the sense that they went to a desert on Earth and filmed it in the most straightforward way they could. Again, this is not me saying it looks bad, but I do think the shots of Arrakis look too mundane and unremarkable for what is supposed to be one of the most hostile places in the galaxy. I'm not even really getting any sort of vibe from it.

Which, yes, that is disappointing considering BR 2049 is one of the most visually striking movies I've seen in the past decade. But it's just a trailer so who knows.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Firstborn posted:

To be fair, you probably bitched at the 2049 trailer, too

No I did not, what a bizarre thing to say

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Also read it at 12 and I had an easier time getting into it than LotR just because the language is more modern. Helps to have supporting knowledge from the games and the Lynch movie I suppose, but I don't think it's that bad.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I mean the Emperor just wanted to get rid of Leto. There are many outlandish concepts going on but it's all just feudal dickwaving. Game of Thrones is arguably more convoluted, and, incidentally, both stories basically start almost the exact same way.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 30, 2021

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Have one of Sting’s kids do it, like that one lady who is on Snowpiercer

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

lmao you ain't Nolan my dude

IDK if you are referring to box office poo poo here but Villeneuve is like fuckin 50 times better than Nolan at literally everything except maybe making a movie that is extremely successful (but even he failed at that)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The relationship between the worms and the spice is clearly obvious, but yet it is something that Kynes plays coy about when it is brought up. You get the sense that Leto and Paul are the first people to genuinely give a poo poo, and Kynes has mainly been working towards preventing the Harkonnens from loving nuking the place.

From the early parts of the book:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kurzon posted:

And the duel is also weird because in most traditional societies, outsiders weren't eligible to fight in duels of honor. And you often had to be of equal status to your opponent too. Like, in medieval England, only aristocrats had the right to duel other aristocrats. A peasant had no such right to challenge an aristocrat, the aristocrat instead sent his servants to beat up the impudent peasant. So Paul is an outsider to the Fremen, meaning he's nobody to them, possibly even an enemy.

He's not nobody to them, they are suspecting he is the Lisan al gaib. The duel is not about honor, it's about Jamis demanding that Paul be tested in combat. And the only reason this happens is because the Bene Gesserit have planted this legend among them eons ago. It is bad. The story is about how the idea of saviors should explicitly not be trusted. They spell it out on several occasions, here is a notable one:

quote:

“No more terrible disaster could befall your people than for them to fall into the hands of a Hero.”

Edit:

YaketySass posted:

Correct me if I missed it but I don't think there's any indication that Yueh is under conditioning or can't harm people, right?

Not in the film. In the book, the belief is that Imperial conditioning is so failproof that they aren't even considering it. Obviously it turns out to not be the case, and he can be turned like everyone else. Yueh sort of frames it as though Piter created a necessity in his mind that the Baron must die, but he is only able to accomplish this goal through someone else, which ends up being Leto, and thus it doesn't break his conditioning. I sort of get the sense that this is his own excuse, and ultimately the point is that the Emperor himself still has a sort of endemic godlike status amongst the houses, which is why they all just assume that Imperial conditioning must be flawless.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 22, 2021

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kurzon posted:

Is it just me, or is the scene when we first get a good shot of a sandworm much darker in the movie than in the trailer? In the trailer it seemed to be early evening so you could still clearly make out the sandworms features, but in the theater the sandworm was a shadowy blob.

Might just be your theatre, it was about the same as the trailer for me. Which is to say, still a bit too dark.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You see the mouth but never the full worm until the end.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Zendaya visions were a bit much but that’s what zero pussy does to a mf

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

People claiming white saviour I feel like are deliberately choosing to take away the wrong reading. Not only is it an entirely manufactured prophecy specifically designed to manipulate the Fremen, but Paul's visions show that it's going to end poorly. His mistake is believing he can change that outcome and comes off as arrogant and naïve more than anything because he was taught to believe how special he is. Granted, we don't really see the results of it in this film, but all the warning signs are there.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah Dune is basically Warhammer 10k and things are just gonna continue getting worse.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I was hoping it was meant to be a chairdog, but probably not.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

sean10mm posted:

Also Iron Maiden were never good.

False. Though that song isn't one of their better ones. They don't know what the gom jabbar is! Paul wouldn't take it, that makes no sense.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This is an awful lot of words to say something that doesn't really apply to Dune. I mean yes, some of these tropes are deployed, but the Fremen succeed primarily because they have Space Jesus and Space Mary in their midst and also ride around on gargantuan undefeatable worms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think it's more that the Sardaukar have no idea what they're up against and also they are at an extreme disadvantage in that environment. Obviously the Fremen are real good at fighting, but I always thought it was a Vietnam parallel more than anything, considering when the book came out.