Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Dune is probably my favorite book ever and I can't remember the last time I was this hyped for a movie. I didn't know they were going to split it in two films, which is probably smart even if I'd argue that their proposed split point is 2/3 through the book and not halfway.

Also the documentary about the Jodorowsky adaptation is pretty neat if you're curious, I think you can rent it on YouTube. They left out my favorite bit about the emperor (cast as Salvador Dali!) riding around on a giant throne with built-in toilets.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Can't wait to see fat Stellan Skarsgard, even though Ian McNeice will always be Baron Harkonnen to me.

E: I hope they shoot all of the scenes on Giedi Prime using Dutch angles like in the SyFy series, I watched that for the first time in 15 years a few years ago and it was such a weird but enjoyable touch.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I've never actually seen the Lynch Dune. Is it streaming anywhere?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

RBA Starblade posted:

The Count Fenring of movies

Harsh, but fair.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

They've been working on Space Jam 2 this whole time :aaaaa:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

WarMECH posted:

Feyd doesn't really show up until late in the book so will probably only appear in DUNC: Part 2 if they make it.

I'm currently in a reread myself and I was just thinking that in the scene where Feyd fights an unnamed Atreides soldier to impress his uncle and Count Fenring, they could make him be Duncan in the movie to give Momoa a cool onscreen death instead of just disappearing like he did in the book.

I had this exact same thought about putting Duncan into that fight in the movie. Also the whole Harkonnen crew is all introduced in the same early chapter of the book.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Messiah is good if you liked Paul's metaphysical train of thought in the original Dune, because there's like twice as much of it and in a shorter book.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Rando posted:

Nobody wants to see Dali poo poo in a dolphin.

Speak for yourself bud

(also I thought it was a swan)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thick-fir Hawat

These look dope, if the shot of Chani is any indication the blue eyes effect from spice consumption is going to be more subdued than the other adaptations, which bums me out but is almost certainly the right call.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Give me the Emperor's mobile toilet-throne from the Jodorowsky version.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah, the book talks about how Jessica was supposed to give Leto a daughter instead of Paul, who would have gone on to be wedded to Feyd to squash the Atredies - Harkonnen beef. So I always pictured Paul and Feyd to be fairly close in age, though obviously human history is full of statecraft marriages with big differences in age.

Speaking of age, there's a little part of me that thinks Bautista might be too old to play Rabban. He's got the build and I've really liked him in other movies, but while we're talking about Feyd's age I also always pictured Rabban to be not that much older than his cousin.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh jeez Rabban is 59? I totally missed that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't think I could personally deal with Tom Holland and his babyface playing a bad guy, but it would be inspired acting if he managed to pull it off.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah the Dune miniseries is fine if you go into it with realistic expectations for the time and budget of its creation, and there are a few genuinely good parts of it like Ian McNeice as has been mentioned. The whole thing is on YouTube if you poke around a bit. I never did see the entire Children of Dune series though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Detective Pikachu motherfuckers

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ingmar terdman posted:

I really like how the book is set up the resemble Paul's prescience. You have the passages between chapters that "give away" the fates of various characters and even the biographies give away death years and details about parentage etc. But like Paul you only see endpoints where the paths to the endpoints remain murky.

I'm sure this is baby's first dune thoughts but if anyone knows of any essays about this sort of thing Iemme know

dunc

The pre-chapter texts are some of my favorite parts of the book, and I hope they find some way to incorporate them into the movie.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Jason Momoa has facial hair, it's clearly fake.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Looks dope!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I would love a part 2 to this upcoming movie that does the last third of OG Dune + all of Messiah, but that would be the worst case of "oh you thought the movie was ending now?" since Return of the King.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Xealot posted:

I’ve never heard this, but I have heard that Indiana was factually the name of an Alaskan Malamute that George Lucas had. (The character’s name was originally Indiana Smith before they changed it to Jones.)

Are you saying that he named the dog Indiana

The_Doctor posted:

I’m pretty sure I read that Villeneuve has already been guaranteed that he’ll get to make part 2.

God I hope so, my biggest fear with this movie is that it has a poor showing in theaters due to Plague Helltimes and they pull the plug on a planned part 2, unless they were shooting them simultaneously like the Lord of the Rings movies or something.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

G-III posted:

I prefer this than the 'risk death to see our movie' model they were running with. But the reality as it is today: movie theaters are a thing of the past. Refusing to release this on streaming now will bite them in the rear end.

They probably saw what happened with Tenet forcing its way into theaters and thought "good thing that wasn't us"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Maxwell Lord posted:

Vancouver's shooting again with precautions, and that's a hub for a lot of shows and movies.

Old and busted: delaying Dune one year to avoid a pandemic

New and trusted: delaying Dune one year to finish making Dune Part 2 so you can release a five-hour supercut of both movies.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I have never seen Titanic. Maybe I will watch that while waiting for Dune, going from "the most water" to "the least water" in movies.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ingmar terdman posted:

elton john voice: b-b-b-bene geseritssss

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
DUNC
https://youtu.be/z6LCD7nyD0s

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Neo Rasa posted:

This movie will be yet another Dune adaptation not brave enough to have swan toilets so it's not really going to be an issue.

FTFY

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Gonz posted:

Still supremely disappointed that we were never given this.

Oh man is this poster real, or fan-made based on what's come out about the project?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah I was about to say, putting the flaming giraffe on the poster is a little too tongue-in-cheek.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Baron von Eevl posted:

Thou shalt not make a computer in the likeness of a human mind, nor one that can support a serial bus that can be used for keyboards, mice, and printers all universally.

Live footage from the Butlerian Jihad in progress-
https://youtu.be/_YfjMZ6n8Bk

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh good, someone else broke containment on Lynch Dune for this page. I saw it for the first time last night since my wife wanted to compare it to DUNC. This is probably not a fresh take, but why didn't Lynch just make the Flash Gordon movie that he so clearly wanted to make instead?

E: I have read Dune the book multiple times, one of my faves for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh that's true, I had forgotten about that one.

As for Lynch Dune...I didn't hate it? Yeah there's a lot of baffling decisions in there but it's got a weird charm that I can't quite place. Feels like a Dune movie out of an alternate timeline, sort of recognizable but definitely out of place in our world. My wife also got a lot of laughs and confused looks out of the Harkonnens.

E: I also learned that my wife has no idea who Sting is.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 8, 2024