Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Neo Rasa posted:

The best part is how as they leave they all sort of turn around in unison as if they're all going to bow or otherwise acknowledge the emperor in some way but then they just turn around and continue to leave. It's such a great half-assed like, way to acknowledge the emperor while insulting him at the same time.

I dunno, it makes sense, CHOAM are the ones that truly hold the power in the universe since their Navigators are the only ones that can fold space. They are pretty curt to the emperor every time they see him and it makes sense, he has one job, make sure the spice keeps flowing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

sean10mm posted:

Actually the Spacing Guild that controls the Navigators is separate from CHOAM.

looks like I need to brush up on the lore again, I don't mind reading a favourite book another time

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

This is probably just me but I'm not sure I understand why Duke Leto is wearing armour when he, and the other higher ups in the House, should have a shield belt on at all times.

Armour seems appropriate for the rank and file because even in the year 10,131 that sounds needlessly expensive to give everyone a personal shield

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

It did give us the Sonic Tank in the Westwood games and that's a good enough reason for me

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

hey if Mickey Mouse can still be under copyright even though Walt has been dead for over 50 years I won't hold anything against a foundation suing someone over something like this.

reminds me of what happened with Blurred Lines but I think I wanted that to get poo poo on because it's such a loving awful song

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Man not only does Nolan want Tenet out ASAP but Inception is gonna hit the theatres again as well? I guess he did live long enough to become a villain

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

You can't fool me, that's clearly a giant eyeball

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Seems appropriate, you get program notes at the opera, it's a space opera so bam -> program notes for a movie :downs:

I will admit that the first time I read Dune I was referencing the appendices and glossary every other page, though not really because I needed the info, it was just really cool to have things like ecology notes right there for you to reference whenever

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

finally got a chance to see this in IMAX and I was loving floored all the way through. I've been into Dune since I was a child, playing Dune 2 on a 486 laptop, getting a letterbox copy of Lynch's film as a Christmas gift when I wasn't even 10 years old, though funny enough I didn't read any of the books until I was older (was 11 or 12 when I read the first book). I have a fondness for all things Dune that embrace the inherent weirdness and alien feeling that I got from Frank's writing, so there are things that I liked in Lynch's adaptation, things I liked in the SciFi series, and things now in 2021. There's also stuff that I don't like but that's normal, every screen adaptation so far has embraced the aesthetic of the universe in a way that I've sat back and thought "yeah, I dig it".

With all that said I have to say that I literally wept tears of joy and overwhelming excitement while watching this because somehow Villeneuve looked into my brain and took designs for things like the stillsuits, the harvesters, even shield generators and was able to replicate them in a way that they seemed like things that could be found in the real world when I would leave the theatre. The big thing for me was the Ornithopters, having my first experience being Dune 2 I had always pictured the 'thopters as these sleek and agile craft with flapping wings considering this is the first time we see them in the intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tC32ZIYXlE&t=113s and that always stuck with me. As technology got better, they made them look better in the Dune 2000 intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_N1zkgwLTY&t=60s but for some reason the Lynch film and the miniseries they didn't look like anything special. The Heighliners and all of the space-capable craft in Lynch Dune were terrific, but everything on Arrakis just seemed typical sci-fi and the miniseries wasn't much better (lack of budget can do that). So of course when we finally get to Arrakis and they show a runway full of Ornithopters (and they also take some lineage from the 'thopter design from the Cryo Interactive game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_B4WPnf-AY&t=520s) and I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. When the wings came out and they started flapping and they take off I don't even know how to describe the sensation that came over me, it was sublime!

Every goddamn time a 'thopter was onscreen I had a huge smile on my face and my eyes would start watering again. I mean, the scale of the space-capable ships also pleased me but not in the same way as the Ornithopters. Honestly, I would probably give this movie 10/10 just on the 'thopters alone but there were other things I did like. I was happy that Jessica got more to do, she has presence similar to the miniseries, but it is too bad that it means we don't get a lot of time with other people. I know who Yueh is because I've digested so much lore over the years that I can fill in the blanks but I can very easily see how viewers without that immersion may be left wanting, same with Gurney and Thufir or even the Harkonnens, it's easy to brush off how little they are there because, true, in the book they don't get a lot of screen time during this part but films have different needs to the written medium. With that in mind I gotta say that Jason Momoa works quite well as Duncan, before him I could never understand why the gently caress he kept coming back in the books and why he was treated like the Dune version of Mr. Darcy because the Lynch and miniseries versions were not memorable. Say what you will about Momoa's range, but for a character that is as desirable and memorable, in-universe, in the books he was the right person for the job and they actually gave Duncan poo poo to do as well!!!! In the Lynch film he puts up a fight against the Sardukar better than the other Atreides and then goes down to a shield-penetrating nail or something but otherwise he's onscreen for barely 3 minutes. In the miniseries he plays a larger part both with Paul and within the Atreides but then when he dies he just takes a missile to the face and that's that. At least now we finally are given something with substance to attempt to justify his continued presence in the rest of the series.

Also, some other good changes the film made, Liet Kynes as a woman, this works very well and the character in the book can easily be interpreted as any gender so this was quite a welcome change. Some other nice stuff was having other characters do things that Paul does, such as Duncan spitting on the floor when we first meet Stilgar. I prefer this because it demonstrates Duncan's knowledge and that he has actually integrated with the Fremen, as opposed to Paul doing it because ~he just knows their ways~ which hedges a bit too close to the White Saviour trope, we already have the stillsuit inspection to cover that aspect of the prophecy so good to give that to someone else that should know and understand the custom already. As others have said, Jamis was great, for a guy that gets, what, a couple pages? his bit ended up being a great tipping point and everything approaching it was masterfully crafted for what's to come in the story. I also like that he's not doing it because he's bitter that Paul disarmed him, he's bringing some nice foreshadowing of what Paul will have to address with Stilgar in part 2. I also just like that we are given a bit more substance for when Paul will declare he was a friend of Jamis and shed water for the dead, I like what people have said in here about how Paul was seeing potential paths and under different circumstances, he and Jamis could be friends. My interpretation of the visions was that Jamis appeared because his prescience was making him aware that Jamis will be focal point of where his life will lead, similar to why he keeps seeing Chani, and that Jamis IS teaching him the Fremen ways in the visions, because by taking his life, Paul will become a Fremen.

Honestly, for a movie that still isn't as densely packed as the novel, they still managed to cram A LOT into 2.5 hours and I look forward to watching it many more times, just like I do the Lynch and miniseries.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Another thing that got me that I wasn't prepared for was the music, some of the later bits when we are on Arrakis sounded strikingly familiar to some of the pieces from the games. One of those, appropriately enough, being "Fremen" from Dune 2000 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPR6fnmiaWE

Also, for any other game lovers did anyone else, when they were unloading at the starport, whisper to themselves "vast armies have arrived" or was that just a me thing

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

he has, like, 10 seconds alone with Duke Leto after they land and are getting the lay of Arrakeen. Says something about how Leto was right about the Fremen and they need to ally with them

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

took my dad to see this last night and he seemed to have no trouble picking up that the Harkonnens are vicious people. Maybe in part 2 we can spend a bit more time with the Baron and his "delights" but I think we can all agree that maybe making the villain the only one that has hedonistic tendencies isn't the greatest look in 2021.

Also something I had missed in my first viewing, at the beginning when the Fremen attack the Harkonnen harvester they are pretty clearly using Lasguns and my thought (much like every other instance of them being used in the film) was that the ones wielding the Lasguns were well aware of the risk of encountering a shield but were prepared to accept the MAD consequences. Last night as I was watching I remembered what Liet-Kynes says about using shields on harvesters and so then I realised "oh, THAT'S why the Fremen are using them, they know even the Harkonnens aren't stupid enough to employ shields in worm territory"

With that said, I do wonder if we will see that happen in part 2, I had thought that when Duncan got back up that he was going to throw himself in the path of the cutting laser, knowing he would die with all the Sardukar but maybe he knew the resulting explosion would still harm Paul, Jessica, and Liet-Kynes. Fun stuff to think about and while I think it does make sense that all the hand communication is supposed to be the Atreides Battle Language, considering that it is 95% done by Jessica to others, I had presumed it was the Bene Gesserit hand communication and she only taught it to specific people that she trusts, hence why Dr. Yueh knows it, Paul knows it, and her personal guards know it

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Well, the pedo aspect is fine if they want to go that route, I meant more that in the books revolving around Paul everything is pretty heteronormative except for the Harkonnens and I wouldn't mind that being changed, even if it's just background characters. We've already had Liet-Kynes reinterpreted as a woman, what would be wrong with some LGB Fremen couples?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Complications posted:

This is just Hollywood convention like where you can shoot arrows and stab longswords through platemail, like when Duncan takes some slashes directly to his armored chest and that kills him. The armor is there to telegraph that these are Serious Business Mooks and that's about it. Yes, obviously they should only be vulnerable at joints or whatever but nobody's got time for that level of choreography.

Most of Duncan's kill slices are to the neck, he uses the inertia and feedback responses of the shields to get them to drop their guards and then he slows down near the neck to slice them open. Also when he takes down the Harkonnen and hijacks the 'thopter they had dropped their shields so nothing fancy was required there.

I agree that there could have been better choreography for the knife fights but for the most part the kill moves made a certain amount of sense.

But on the topic of dress and stillsuits I got really annoyed that all the Fremen kept taking off their masks and hoods. It made sense so we could see people's faces the first time but when you're just watching a duel put your loving mask back on. You're walking out into the open desert and the sun is up? PUT YOUR loving MASKS ON JESUS CHRIST. We've seen Chani enough times, let's at least pretend how unforgiving the desert is if you don't wear your stillsuit properly

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I've been thinking about some of the stuff I've seen people say about Chalamet and Zendaya and it made me realise a problem they had with the miniseries as well, Paul is supposed to be a bit of a poo poo since he's a) the heir of House Atreides b) been trained as a mentat and in the Bene Gesserit ways, something that isn't done and c) he's a teenager. It's tricky to have a character like that be relatable and likable to the audience.

Then there's Chani, who isn't in the first part of the book except as someone Paul keeps seeing visions of and we only see her when she sneaks up on him like we see in every visual adaptation but that sure doesn't leave a lot of stuff for anyone to do. I appreciate the little bit they had her do at the beginning since other than that she would've had, what, a paragraph of dialogue? I wonder what reviews would've been like if the Lynch film was a two parter and all we saw of Sean Young would've been the "tell me of your homeworld, Usul" visions and when she introduces herself with chrysknife in hand

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

yeah this was the big thing when the attack comes, Duncan, Paul, and Jessica at different points go directly to Liet-Kynes and are like "yo, Sardukar are here, that means the Emperor not only sanctioned this but is actively involved when he isn't supposed to be. As an agent for him, you can report this to the Landsraad and as the only Atreides survivors we can still rally the other houses over this bullshit" it's just that Liet-Kynes and all the Fremen are like "what the gently caress do we care about Great Houses and far off planets? We've got our own problems to deal with, like trying to grow plants and other ecological things that the Emperor sure as poo poo doesn't want to know about"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

sebmojo posted:

The worm turns up but its incredibly tiny, and fremen start pouring out of it, this absurd quantity of fremen

You know, from a conceptual point of view this isn't too far away from how Lynch portrayed the Fremen riding worms into battle.

Also yesterday I was talking about DUNC with a friend yesterday and was talking as if he had read the books and was surprised when he said he hadn't because he found Dune too dense for him. I then realised why I loved the book so much and it was because of the density and lack of fish-out-of-water exposition dumps. You could inform yourself with the appendices and glossaries in the back but not all of that was necessary to follow the basic beats of the story. I like things that encourage you to do more research to immerse yourself in the new universe so you're on the same information level as the characters your following.

Though having said that I wonder if that's just something for sci-fi because Lord of the Rings and Wheel of Time do that and it took me close to a decade to finish Fellowship :shrug:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Honestly there's a lot of explanation of things in the actual book, usually in the form of characters narrating the motives behind their own or others' actions in the moment.

Right but those moments make sense too, Rabban is a big ol' dum-dum and so the Baron has to spell everything out. Baron is also a big ham so he loves to pontificate

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I didn't have an issue with taking the masks off to be heard, it was more them being off most of the time so we could see faces. It makes sense for a movie but is still kind of annoying because it undercuts the message of how unforgiving the desert is supposed to be. Like at the end as they are walking in the sun to Sietch Tabr EVERYONE has their mask off. For what reason?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

That won't happen until DUN3, where we get to have some fun with cloning and Paul's super horny sister

Incidentally, anyone here think that Alia will be a good way to do some more worldbuilding and exposition for part 2?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I'm gonna be honest I was a little surprised it was Paul in that scene because I thought they were gonna continue with Jessica and Mapes to do the water leavings bit but the stuff he talks about with the guy watering the palms made sense.

That and we got enough of that "the Harkonnens were assholes, we aren't" from other character interactions. Even Paul's statement of "should we remove the palms so that water can be given to 100 people instead?" communicated that and the steward's response communicated the significance of the palms. Also, Paul wasn't outside for very long wtf is this stupidity with him not sweating his balls off for a 3 minute scene?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Yes, be one with the Maker

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

The only whispering I can think of is the whispering in the Bene Gesserit theme and that's something else

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I mean, if you've seen it 6 times I think DV accomplished something

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

That litany always reminds me more of the Westwood game, even if that post-dates the movie by several years.

To be fair, Dune 2000 is heavily influenced by the Lynch version (though thankfully they made the ornithopters look more like actual aircraft instead of the boxes of the Lynch version) what with both Atreides and Harkonnen mentats being modeled after their film counterparts, the stillsuits the Fremen wear in cutscenes, the harvesters being direct model copies, plus the imperial palace at the end of the game. poo poo, the tag line on the box "long live the fighters" is what Paul says before they launch their final attack against the emperor.

As the years have gone by I have found myself liking the original Dune 2 and Emperor: Battle for Dune over Dune 2000 because, outside of the Ordos, 2000 just directly copies, or hedges too close to, the Lynch version and the other versions have a more distinct style. There's nothing wrong with imitation but the thing I like about a setting like Dune is that there are so many possibilities and so when you have something like Dune 2000 that is locked into a specific look, and no real explanation given for choosing it, it now feels kind of cheap.

On the other hand, the revised tracks Frank Klepacki did for 2000 are all bangers so it's not all bad

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I'm getting more thrown by calling those movies "old"

Jesus do we consider Titanic classic cinema now?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Considering the way the story unfolds, there is no such thing as a fair fight. If you believe there is, you've already lost

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I understand (or I hope) that that post is in jest but I just gotta say we don't need dreamy shots of Zendaya in part 2 because...Paul and Chani spend most of their time less than a foot apart. poo poo, she will get actual monologues to deliver and everything

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

If Robert Pattinson were cast as Feyd, they could have him sparkle in that scene and it would be totally appropriate

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure the Atreides troops are skilled and dangerous because they're actually disciplined, motivated AND loyal as gently caress because the Duke puts effort into their welfare and making people like him, and attracts some of the best talent from across the galaxy, while the Harkonnens treat everyone like poo poo and their troops are probably poo poo at everything but war crimes. While the Sarduakar are the best of the best from a planet whose only real export is soldiers, and the Fremen have to live an incredibly disciplined, dangerous and violent lifestyle by default. Environmental, maybe, but also material conditions and context at play.

Ah, so the Fremen are Ukrainians and the Harkonnen are Russians, checks out.

Don't know what that makes the Sardukar, the war criminals that make up Wagner?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

yeah, yeah, yeah, Muad'Dib, he rides the worm good for him

what I want to see more of is the ornithopters, that shot we got in the trailer is all I care about for the rest of the movie

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

it's been mentioned a few times in various ways, but I had always interpreted everything breaking the Harkonnen's way initially is because the things they are doing are things that just aren't done in the year 10,000whatever. That, and there's probably a fair amount of potemkinism happening, the Suk conditioning is certified by the emperor, so most people aren't going to question that, but if you get one person crazy enough to look for cracks, they will probably find some. The sardukar are ruthless and you don't want to have them set against you, but the Leto decides to just...train his soldiers really hard and also not treat them like poo poo, but give them a sense of pride and devotion, suddenly they are as good as the condemned that fight for the emperor.

it's all about illusions, and ol' Vlad Harkonnen seems to be the one most willing to destroy them with extreme prejudice.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

it is kind of too bad that the Harkonnens and Atreides aren't colour coded like the Westwood games. A lot easier to tell who your enemies are when they wear red or blue (or purple in the case of the Sardukar)

though iirc the Atreides hawk is red in the text

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

The Harkonnens trying to las down Duncan felt, to me, like one of those Easter egg moments for those familiar with the setting. Is it a tactically stupid thing for the Harkonnens to do? Maybe, but in the heat if battle maybe you just want to go scorched earth to ensure the Atreides are completely gone. It also adds that extra bit of tension because "dang, Paul would REALLY remember Duncan's sacrifice if he dies in nuclear hellfire".

I likened it to (my interpretation of) Jamis appearing in Paul's visions. It's a good narrative device to show his awakening prescience, but for those familiar with the text, you can go "oh hey, Paul IS a friend of Jamis, in a roundabout way"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

hell, just keep Stellan Skarsgård, he's got the range to hold his own against the Muppets. Alternatively, bring Ian McNeice back, he'd fit right in

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

TerminalSaint posted:

The good news is you have permission to pronounce it however you want.

The enclosed:

uh tray'uh deez nuts

This guide explains some of the stranger pronunciations from the actors in Dune 2000. John Rhys Davies pronouncing sietch that way and the Emperor saying "uh-trey-uh-deez" and literally no one else saying it that way

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

They haven't gotten back to the sietch yet. I have to imagine one of the first scenes with Paul will be Jamis' funeral. To have so much focus on him in comparison to the previous two adaptations and then just skip the funeral would be galaxy-brained in its stupidity

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Scarabrae posted:

Also I wonder if they cut Paul’s first infant son getting killed in the assassination attempt but able to warn Paul, been awhile since I read the book but I thought that happening was Paul making the choice to drink the water of life in order gain full god powers since he failed to see that coming.

That was a combination of factors, wasn't it? Leto II's death, Gurney trying to kill Jessica. I feel like there was a third thing, but definitely Gurney was the thing that sealed the deal that he needed more prescience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Geidi Prime part was great. I kinda forgot that Lady Fenring exists, so that was fun.

I liked this, but I definitely wasn't wowed in the same way I was after watching Part 1 for the first time. I can't really out my finger on why, especially since complaints about changes could also be leveled at Part 1.

OH, I can think of one thing that I wasn't a fan of. All the modern military poo poo like using MANPADS to take out ornithopters or the ornithopters having minigun-type armaments. As someone who grew up playing the Westwood games before reading or even watching the Lynch movie, you'd think that aspect wouldn't be problem, but for some reason I just didn't like it. One of the things I loved in Part 1 was how the majority of fighting was CQC, and only larger ordinance was used for blowing up the big ships and harvesters.

I dunno, it felt too much like they didn't trust that their audience would just accept that guns aren't things that are used anymore.