Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Dune Stellaris mod when?

Just kidding Stellaris would need an entire strategy layer that currently doesn't exist. I was so excited for their pitch of a 4X that morphs into grand strategy once the map is filled in. But there never was real diplomacy much less internal political dynamics.

I don't blame them, that was just too ambitious in a genre that's already notoriously hard to make. Stellaris really needed a complete overhaul rather than DLCs adding little mechanics around the edges. But as always the hard part would be creating an AI that could intelligently play half a dozen alien empires with all those systems without dragging your computer to its knees.

stellaris 2 is gonna be lit though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

I think you mean DUNC DONC

Doot-oot-oot-oot ooooo, dunc donc doot-oot-oot-oot oooooo oooo

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Ciao Wren posted:

Even still we are all the right age to have memories of the Bosnian War or to have at least played GTAIV and/or This War of Mine. Plus the partition of India and Ghandi's nonviolence is a core part of American education because it is an important precursor to MLK's blood sacrifice that cleansed America of racism. At least at my school and the schools of most people I know the post-ottoman post-soviet states in E Europe got mixed into that where strongmen forced them to get along. It was a dire education but it talked about stuff you could look up in the encyclopedia if you were curious.

knowledge of the bosnian war in the US seemed pretty much limited to "there is a war in a place called bosnia" and that there was something called "ethnic cleansing" going on, if you weren't a small child at the time like I was maybe you would have been vaguely aware that some of the people involved were muslims but yeah the general understanding of the balkans in the US is "everyone in the balkans hates eachother for inexplicable reasons lol"

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

comedy option: starts with no timeskip, then after 20 minutes does a timeskip

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

MikeJF posted:

That's basically what it would be if they did start with things like Jamis' funeral though. The book has a few long time jumps built into it.

that's why I recognized it as a possibility :ssh:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Bright Bart posted:

Stilgar is the best character without a doubt. Best lines. Almost inscrutable until it clicks.

Okay someone reply with your own spoiler-tagged re: atomics for me please:

Why does how Atreides have nuclear warheads when these are outlawed and they're the goody two shoes of houses? And why have them set up to hit targets on Arakis? They knew the Emperor's assignment was a trap, does that have anything to do with it?

Using them is outlawed, but all houses have their own House Atomics as a form of mutually assured destruction, basically

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

PeterWeller posted:

Arrakis has patches of "drum sand". There is an entire scene about it in the first film. You see Paul reposition his thumper and test the sand for its "thumpiness" in the worm riding scene.

It both amuses and disheartens me that this clearly educated and intelligent dude pays about as much attention as the Cinema Sins losers.

he has the exact same shtick as the cinemasins losers

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

you know the roman statue retvrn guy meme about "hard times make strong men, strong men make good times, good times make soft men, soft men make hard times" or whatever? in the dune universe this is literally a metaphysical fundamental rule of the universe, the fremen are tough because arrakis is tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

refer to the Hunter Seeker scene for instance. you'd think you could have an autonomous robot dart go poke Paul but they had to immure some poor dope in a wall to pilot the thing instead.

which neatly prefigured our current reality lol