Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Me and my boys doin a jihad.

I wonder if they are going to continue avoiding the use of that word. Almost certainly they will, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

That clip is absolutely breathtaking.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

That clip was like Frank Herbert spoke and his words formed into Denis who then became the Spirit of ᑐ ᑌ ᑎ ᕮ which then punched me in my taint.

It is beyond words

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I had this same experience with Jaws, a film I’d seen in the theater 3x and on various cable/vhs/dvd releases maybe twenty times or so. A movie that had been near and dear to my heart for about thirty years, at that point?

The first time I saw it in HD, I saw things I’d never seen before. So much detail.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

They can drop Thufir as long as they BIFAR

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

We are in for a full-on shitstorm here aren’t we, Purists vs DenisHeads

Similar to the LOTR books purists who hated the changes in those films

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Sorry I’m a bit behind on posts here.

I know some of you have seen it. What is the consensus on the changes made? Understandable? Bad?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

Holtzman griefing by the goon swarm guild on day 1

We’ll be finding out real quick how the lasgun/shield interaction works.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Saw it earlier tonight, but not in IMAX. I plan to see it again soon in IMAX.

I loved it. I’ve read all the criticisms here, and I agree with some of that, but like with LotR, I think in most cases the changes they made were for good reasons.

That’s just my opinion.

I think it was one of the best all-time experiences I’ve had watching a movie in the theater, and I’ve been watching them that way since Nixon was president.

Just completely stunning visually, and Denis is brilliant when it comes to this.

Even in this normal theater the sound often made me feel like the guy in the old Maxwell tape ad, who’s sitting in his recliner and the sound is blowing his hair straight backwards.

I thought all the effects shots were fantastic, and I can’t wait to see them in larger format.

Loved the various weapons depicted. We got a lot more lasgun fire by both sides out in the desert. The doorgunners on the ornithopters were very cool… I guess those were basically just advanced, rapidfire slugthrowers?

Then whatever the big potato ship used to bombard Sietch Tabr was great, also.

The shoulder-launched weapon we saw the Fremen using. I can just go on and on.

I know some will disagree, but I really loved Zendaya in this. I know it’s a departure from the book, but they gave her character a little more to do, and I thought she did a great job.

I also liked the North/South Fremen and the conflict between the more secular group and the “fundamentalists”. As I recall this is entirely an invention of the film, but I liked the dynamics it gives to the story, especially with Stilgar and Chani.

Anyway I have a few nitpicks here and there, but as my earlier references show I am an old and prone to drone on at times.

:TheVoice: ENOUGH!

I do have one question. Gurney survived the Atriedes massacre and then somehow got his own spice harvester, that he was using to try and smuggle his own spice out, possibly past and/or under attack by worms, Fremen, AND Harkonnens?

What have I missed here?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Oh wow, perfect explanation. Thank you.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Anybody got a clip of Gurney playing his song “Arrakis is a loving shithole” ?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

We didn't see any Spacing Guild people in the first one, did we? Those people who came down the ramp when the Emperor's messenger came to officially give them the order to take over on Arrakis, the ones with the opaque visors and full helmets on their heads were members of the imperial court, I thought.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Just saw it for the second time and it was twice as good as the first time

e: I want to learn to speak the Fremen language l, as people do with Klingon

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 12, 2024

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

She says they would land the harvesters at night to avoid the heat of the day.

I can buy that the Sietch Tabr 200 and other groups have caused so many problems that it’s affecting the galactic spice trade, so in desperation the Harks are running them during the day and night now and just eating the losses.

Of course, the Atreides are running them during the day during their brief time in control before that.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ah, good catch!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

That first battle scene in the opening of the new film.

After the Harks climb onto the rocky outcropping, the first one who gets shot, is hit on the back/side of the head.

Was that meant to be a projectile from a maula pistol? I don’t remember the lasgun sound or a beam, but I also don’t remember ever seeing a maula pistol in either film.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ah, thank you! I figured I’d just missed one.

This means of course it’s time for me to go see it again.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

Paul takes a maula pistol off one of the Fremen at their first encounter, then reluctantly surrenders it to Stilgar who says "you'll have your own maula pistol when you earn it"

Oh poo poo, you’re right. Time to watch that one again too.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Monica Bellucci posted:

I only just saw a thing with Hans Zimmer in it last night. I never knew he previously represented the Barksdale gang legally.

Do the Naib know we gonna look like some punk-rear end bitches out there?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I still choose to believe that it's Yueh's wife.

gently caress, are you the one I got that from? I swear I saw that somewhere here and could never stop thinking about it.

On another topic, I think in the film it’s reasonable to assume that the Fremen, while not the complete primatives the Harkonnens want to believe they are, don’t know anything about piloting starships.

They are marching up the ramps en masse, to be assault troops, I assume. But are the Harkonnen ship crewmembers just now aligned with Paul?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I think they wanted to take out the ornithopters before revealing their lasgun firing positions

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The ornithopter shield is dropped when it fires its own weapons, and I figured Chani was trying to time her shot to hit when its shield is off.

However, when she does hit it later, it’s clearly shown that the shield is up, and the projectile hits it and then penetrates it very slowly somehow? You can see the red of the shield being penetrated right as the doorgunner looks down at it.

So I dunno.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Went and saw some more DUNC2 tonight in IMAX and lordy it still kicks rear end.

The shot towards the end of the multiple thumpers going off to summon the worms for the attack? That's what movies are for, baby.

Seeing it twice myself, I was struck by how well the use of a thumper would have gone over in an early trailer.

The first trailer I remember seeing was the one where they used the background track of Pink Floyd's Eclipse. But I think it would have been great to start out a teaser with just the thumper.

Darkness. The *thump* sound building up slowly, nothing else. Then closeup of sand, then tracking in on the thumper, moving up and down. Shots of the sand underneath shifting as Shai-Hulud comes in, and of course brief cuts to various action scenes from the flick.

I suppose if you really insist to have Floyd, then syncing the thumper shots up with Speak To Me would have worked better as backing, for this. Of course it ends on brief but impressive shots of Worms.

Sorry, I am high.

e: Also now I remember the use of Eclipse was the trailer for the first film, not the second.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 16, 2024

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

The ol’ Alien trailer treatment

Montage of seemingly unrelated but intense shots paired with a repeating sound that keeps amping up

It might be worth doing a fan trailer after the Blu-ray comes out

Hell yeah. That original Alien trailer was insane, with that bizarre high-pitched effect juxtaposed with quick shots.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

There is nobody in the story that is having a better time than Feyd, and it shows in every frame he appears in. It must have been a really fun role to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Saw it for the third time today. In terms of visuals and audio, it’s a treat unlike anything I’ve seen since Fury Road.

Also it took me until this watch to get the foreshadowing of what Feyd does during the final duel (twists Paul’s wrist and knife and uses it to stab him, just as he did with the last Atreides soldier on Geidi Prime)