Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Barudak posted:

Also unlike GoT or Star Wars, Dune has an ending*

*Ignore the books pouring out from behind the curtain

I’m still sad we never got the real Dune 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This is the one movie I might risk going to the cinema in October to see. Depends on case numbers and so on but I'm hoping Quebec will have things fully under control by that point.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Martman posted:

Unironically... kinda? I do wonder if animation would be the best medium to capture the wildly different requirements of Dune stuff.

I have long maintained anime would be the best medium for any fantasy or sci fi adaption. Just look at how good the new Witcher anime looks compared to the bargain bin GoT-knock off the TV series comes off as. Or that Highlander anime directed by Kawajiri which is the best looking thing the franchise has ever produced.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Huh so I was under the impression that they filmed both parts one and two at the same time and were just waiting to see how Part 1 did before they spent the $$$ to do all the vfx for part 2. But actually they just filmed the first part. Won’t it be super difficult to get all these huge actors back for a second movie and not run into scheduling conflicts? Especially if this one doesn’t do gangbusters because of the 4th wave, WB might cut their losses which would suck.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Dune is my most anticipated film of the year but I'm increasingly erring on the side of "not catching the delta variant" and instead watching it at home. Maybe I'll go buy a ticket and then watch it at home though, to support the film.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

bawfuls posted:

One would assume yes, a lot of people work from home these days.

An option for theatre watching would be to head over to the Covid thread in cspam and join elastomer crew.

Can you link me to that thread? Also I’m checking out where to get elastomeric respirators but all I can find online says they’re only being sold to healthcare providers.

Edit: Nevermind, I acquired the info from the gbs covid thread, here’s where to buy the respirators and filters:

https://www.grainger.com/category/safety/respiratory-protection/reusable-respirators-replacement-filters-cartridges/half-mask-respirators

Hasselblad posted:

I have to ask those who are worried about covid in a theater:
Do you all work from home?

Yes, and very rarely left the house in the last 16 months. Once the province I’m in starts the vaccine passports I’ll be a bit more comfortable going out and about but cases are rising again.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 21, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Gonz posted:

Still supremely disappointed that we were never given this.

Absolutely sick as gently caress poster. I love that there's a Bene Geserrit hidden in the contours of Paul's arm.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/MrAlAnderson/status/1452011130151395335

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

IMB posted:

Brolin sold me on his Gurney just in the way he delivered the "They're BRUTAL" line. This movie was good top to bottom.

His neck did quite a bit of acting on that line. Every muscle went taut and veins were in stark relief. I’ve used FACS rigs where there are controls to trigger that bit of muscle action and on that line I was like “drat he has good control over his neck.”

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I hope this pandemic is finally over in 2023 and they do special screenings of part 1 and 2 back to back.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I liked this movie. There were parts I felt they just expected the audience to go along with without explanation though. Like how as soon as Rautha becomes boss the Harkonnens find where the Fremen are and bomb them. How'd they not do that before? No one ever though 'lets try to find where they're hiding out" ?

The change of ending was interesting. That will definitely cause some issues with how they're gonna tie into a third movie if they want to still follow the book plot.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

A number of friends, including a few who worked on the vfx for it, didn't see it this weekend because they couldn't get IMAX tickets. I settled for seeing it in Ultra AVX in a fairly well attended theater, but I had no trouble getting good seats.

And no, apparently working on the vfx for Dune 2 does not entitle you to a free crew screening because the vfx company that worked on it is currently broke and going through massive layoffs due to the aftermath of the Hollywood strikes, as well as cutting all their remaining employees pay.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Cassian of Imola posted:

In the Villeneuve film, on the other hand, to the extent that their loyalty to Paul is explained at all, they're maniacs and dupes. Their fanaticism is a repeated point of comic relief.

Yeah the only funny bit in the new movie was Stilgar and his announcement of "Lisan al-Gaib!" whenever Paul did anything. Those moments were certainly played for comedy, but Stilgar as a whole is a comic relief character in this movie.

Anyway part of the reason I don't think a third movie is necessary is because of how much this book foreshadows that things go wrong for Paul. Changing what happens with Chani is part of it, but also Jessica talking about the holy war, the fact that his biggest believer is played for comic relief, and the general tenor of the whole ending is very "this is the hollow victory before the fall."

Certainly I'd watch a third movie though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Lynch Dune had great sets but they went cheap with the vfx, they were going to work with the original vfx supe of Star Wars and his company and at the last minute decided to pull out and try to make it work with an in-house team to save money.