Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

i kind of like that they're showing him to be just some guy but i do hope he gets at least one insane over the top costume

in the trailer he's just casually hanging out with his daughter. when he's at court i bet he breaks out the fancy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

me giving that take the side eye

Bugblatter posted:

The weird hammerhead dudes with duel katanas in the background of Feyd's gladiator fight are pretty wild looking.

real bad vibes from them. i assume they're there to keep the slaves from running away. maybe those are the "harpies" that are listed on IMDB.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Fremen spice mining.

https://twitter.com/erichhartmann/status/1593799658047930374?s=20

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
lol

quote:

Colin Greenland reviewed The Godmakers for Imagine magazine, and stated that "For all his ever-expanding cosmic perspective, Herbert still writes characters who look and sound as if they'd been cut off the backs of cornflake packets."[1]

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
heheh.

quote:

"Are these fanatics homosexual?"

She pounced.

"How'd you know?"

"A guess."

"What difference would it make?"

"Are they?"

"Yes."

McKie shuddered.

She was peremptory.

"Explain!"

"When Humans for any reason go terminal where survival of their species is concerned, it's relatively easy to push them the short step further into wanting to die."

"You speak from historical evidence?"

"Yes."

"Example."

"With rare exceptions, primitive Humans of the tribal eras reserved their homosexuals as the ultimate shock troops of desperation. They were the troops of last resort, sent into battle as berserkers who expected, who wanted, to die."

from the Dosadi Experiment. Frank had some Ideas.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i can't get into legos, i'd go bankrupt.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have spent more money than I want to admit on the new Lego botanical collection.

i still might get the succulents one.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i only ever read the first failson book and that was enough but i'm happy to take everyone's word about the quality of what comes after.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
he could just scoot around on his knees. like Yogurt in Spaceballs.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
FLESH CRISPING LOIK... CHICKEN

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
here's your dang wormsign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfuGmXb_ACs

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i do think there are going to be some changes based on what i've read. mostly around a couple characters. don't get your hopes up for murder-baby

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
when my ancient rear end is confronted by the ethereal beauty of the elfin twink lad

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Scags McDouglas posted:

Oh yeah you right dog.

While I'm in here being a nerd already, I have one fantasy scene that's lacking from the books- it's an unfinished plot. If you read the prequels and consider them canon, Gurney has a very, very, extreme justification for hating the Harkonnens and Glosu Rabban in particular.

In the books, Rabban's death isn't even described- Stilger just informs Paul. It's completely unceremonious.

I'd kill for a scene where Gurney personally gets his hands on Rabban for payback. I don't care in which chapter! Make it happen Dennis.

i think we speculated about this earlier, there's a scene where Gurney confronts some Harks and I think that may be when the Beast gets got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Qp5pL3ovA&t=79s

edit it was in the GBS dune thread i think.

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 12, 2024

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Monica Bellucci posted:

The sound. Right from the start, y'backsward throat singin' mad fucks, yeah. It rumbles and shifts everything and in a lot of places* does it with different sounds in different places in your body.
-
Jessica out-performs Paul at all physical activities always no matter what it is and she is outright clowning on him across Arrakis except for flying and the Walken walk. Seriously, her outrunning him is unreal.

it's a real rib-rattler. i bet #2 is gonna be even meaner. you might need to see a dentist because the bass loosened all your teeth.

i think they're going to give Jess more opportunities in 2 to show that the BG sisters aren't just creepy Voice witches, they're also ninja assassins. one uh problematic character's role is gonna get folded into Jessica is my guess. she's gonna get stabby with it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Monica Bellucci posted:

...???... Harah? I hope not that bit is absolutely loving hilarious and underlines Paul trying to stop everything when he can't even that bit.

Alia one interview talks about Jessica being "advised" by her unborn child

i hope we get a flashback with Jeff the Fremen though.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i assumed Tim Blake Nelson was going to be the Count but they announced he was cast and then just never mentioned him ever again so who even knows if he's in the dang thing. hmMrrrmmmnm

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Scags McDouglas posted:

Speaking of Part 1, my gf and my buddy's gf are coming over soon to see it for the first time.

Trust me when I say, they will be bathed, inundated with lore for a single question they have about the characters or plot. My services are so committed that their demands for me to shut up will be brushed off like dirt. Sand, if you will.

absolutely turn a massive Las-gun of LORE onto them if they ever make the mistake of asking any questions. make sure you have the words that make up CHOAM memorized. explain in depth the meaning of each word. pause the movie when the spider thing shows up so you can gift them an in depth understanding of the Bene Tleilax.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Baron von Eevl posted:

Older Alia from Children of Dune via talking head exposition dump a la Lynch's Dune.

having Future Alia zapping thoughts into Jessica's mind lets them skirt the Murder-baby issue. i know we all want to see Murder-baby but the general public may well balk at such an advanced concept.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
so CHAY-knee is the Official pronunciation? bah gawd!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
why the heck did they have to stuff that guy inside the wall?? sit down, this might take a minute.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
might be a good movie idk

https://x.com/RottenTomatoes/status/1760354858270446076?s=20

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
unless they're gonna show the birth of murder-baby it's going to have to follow a tight schedule.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

I finally got to watching it but man they made weird decisions in what they changed. loving gorgeous though

Tbh I'd have liked keeping Kynes around if they were making an actual character there, the actress was great lol

that's one of my problems with it. craziest cast in recent memory and most of them don't get a chance to do much of anything.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Chani:
What do you call the Stonekeeper's daughter and the secret leader of the Smallfoot Evidentiary Society?

Stilgar:
We call that one, Mee'chee.

Chani:
Could I be known as Chani Mee'chee?

Stilgar:
You are Chani Mee'chee.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
make sure you hang on to your worm-buckets. they are sure to be regarded as valuable collector's items.

https://x.com/LiquidHbox/status/1761951977070592266?s=20

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they must be pretty confidant.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i doubt they would've bothered casting Alia like they did if Messiah wasn't a pretty sure bet.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the duality of evil (Chub/Twink).

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Squashy Nipples posted:

I've been super excited about the new movie, but now I found out that they completely eliminated Thufir from the new movie, going as far to edit out his parts.

Goddamn it. One of my favorite characters from the book. I am now angry internet man.

imagine casting Stephen McKinley Harrison and Tim Blake Nelson and then cutting them entirely. the nerve!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
in Dune p1 you can see Jessica using sign language to communicate with the Atreides soldier while she is talking to Shadout Mapes, Atreides Battle Language. in the books i think it was a spoken language rather than signs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHOXkmDJTGk

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

ozmunkeh posted:

I haven't read the books so I may be missing something but it did seem that the timeline was not quite right. Jessica is pregnant before the start of the movie and the credits roll before she even gives birth. The events as presented feel like they should have taken place over a good number of years but apparently it has only been a few months between Paul seeing sand for the first time and deciding to get his jihad on. Just struck me as a bit off. Aside from that I loved it even more than the first one.
Even knowing when someone was about to get "the voice" it still startled me. Great sound and editing there.

in the book it does take years and she gives birth which has some uh interesting follow on effects. one of the really big changes.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://screenrant.com/dune-2-scenes-cut-tim-blake-nelson-response/

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Bright Bart posted:

The one character I can't come to any grips with is the Reverend Mother. Why was she siding with the bad guys like that?

Also, if any of the director, writers, or actors had read the additional books or even Wikipedia entries, the scene where the Baron, Reverend Mother, and Piter meet quasi-amicably would be very difficult. The Baron raped the Reverend Mother. And in turn the Reverend Mother gave him a disease that takes away the physical attractiveness he valued so much and makes him an immobile pear who has to pretend to be glutton for food he barely likes to disguise having pissed off a witch? There's tension in the scene but none from the spoilered part.

if the movie had acknowledged the prequel books in any way i would never watch it. they're worthless.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i saw the first one the first weekend and hardly anyone was in there. i waited last minute to get a ticket for 2 and i ran into the same situation. completely packed. gonna have to wait til next weekend.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
he taught me how to live
my life as it should be
he taught me how to walk whenever worms want to eat me
I've had friends before
and I can tell you that
he will never leave you water-fat

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
plus the Harks had to pay most of their wealth for the invasion and now they have to garrison Arrakis and SQUEEZE it. so they're busy for the foreseeable future.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the Timmy and Zen star power gets the zoomers in the seats.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the Guild died on their way back to Tupile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug