Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

I think that vision is purely metaphorical for him - his noble prince self dies when he accepts Freemen tradition and kills in the duel

I might be wrong but I think in a vision Janis says something like "I will teach you the ways of the Fremen", which is technically true. I liked how it leant into the Greek epic prophecy style of vision.

I'm sure that that opening voiceover must have been edited after the events in Afghanistan, it was so on the nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I don't want to get all politics but it's like "we weren't able to oust our oppressors but then by imperial decree they left"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Dune looks great, it has some incredible scenes. The use of lighting is excellent. One still that stick with me is when the bene Gesserit are getting off the space ship near the start and lit via the fog.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Both were A+ additions, very much in the lynchian spirit

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

You can kinda see the Cold War in Dune, in that the Harkonnen are nakedly abusive while the Atreides use propaganda and pageantry to cloak virtually the same abuses in heroism.

Outside of aesthetics and wanting to ally with rather than nakedly oppress the Fremen (even that is instrumental), is there anything in the movie which establishes any sort of moral superiority on the Atreides' part? We get told that they rule their own world by air and sea power.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've read the book and honestly don't remember the "dinner scene" at all. All the inner thoughts stuff sucked.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ram dass in hell posted:

president Clinton bombed bosnia because it was what Hillary asked from him in order for her to excuse the Lewinsky thing. for real.

and still somehow better than what came next

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Torn between going to see it in the tiny local cinema on Saturday or waiting until the second half of march and hoping it's still in IMAX

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Finally saw this. Loved the visuals, sound, and all the acting except Zendaya. Really cool to have a big budget series with a story arc like this, I hope they don't cop out in the final film.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Everyone else is praising Zendaya, what didn't work for you?

I never bought that she was either some elite warrior warrior (whoever played Chanis friend did a much better job) or that there was any chemistry with Paul. I think it was the accent that really killed it for me

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

They should make a spinoff film about the people who decided that resurrecting the hyper intelligent human predator species was a good idea.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

well why not posted:

The doubt about Villeneuve being “not an action director” is unfounded. BR2049 has incredible action scenes, they’re just really short outside of the finale. Think about K getting pulled out of the spinner, or when he smashes through the wall. Iconic stuff.

Sicario is also packed with action, it’s just approached through the Villeneuve lens of “violence is terrifying”. The border crossing is the perfect example.

Sicario is his best imo, that border crossing scene and the bit in the tunnel where it's just the Americans unloading into rooms you can't see, horrifying stuff. Makes me think a bit of the raid at the end of Zero Dark Thirty where the special ops people look like weird alien things from a horror movie, just lights bobbing in the darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I didn't mind the Stilgar bits, they weren't over the top or anything, but could have lived with a different take on the character too. Totally agree that Zendaya's accent feels like it's from another film altogether.