Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Saw the movie and it was very good in my opinion. The 2.5 hours felt a lot shorter than I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Oscar Isaac looks EXTREMELY good with his Duke Leto beard.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I did see two really galaxy brained moves in combat in the 2021 movie.

1: using lasers to try and down the shielded ornithopter as Duncan escaped from the attack on Dune by the Harkonnen.

2: using lasers to cut through the weather station door when there could be shielded people behind

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

The imperial delegation being like 20 people in a ship the size of an Olympic stadium is pretty opulent.

The Mentat does say it cost a fortune.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

This is an awful lot of words to say something that doesn't really apply to Dune. I mean yes, some of these tropes are deployed, but the Fremen succeed primarily because they have Space Jesus and Space Mary in their midst and also ride around on gargantuan undefeatable worms.

To be fair, it's kind of on the tin.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

The fremen and their jihad is also pretty consciously based on the Arab conquests which is one of a handful of times in history that defies the "settled societies are better at violence" thing that guy is going for.

I wouldn't really call it a handful. The steppe peoples in Asia pretty much constantly ravaged their neighbors (Eastern Europe, Arabs, and China) up until the invention of gunpowder.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

no mention of jessica having a son in defiance of the BG

This was in there. The Reverend Mother chastises Jessica for not having only daughters as she's about to leave on her ship.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Villeneueve’s Heighliner setup seems… inefficient

one Heighliner would have to hoof it out to the destination, which would be a nightmare by conventional travel. Then it would have to connect to a second Heighliner so that theyd act as portals to each other. Book heighliners just need one and they go wherever they please

Useful if you have a lot of travel between two points frequently.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

The galactic holocaust isn't avoidable without Paul dying, which is kind of a theme. Paul knowingly trades the Atreides dynasty and Paul's personal survival for something like 60 billion lives. Adult Paul with more experience of ruling and prescience encounters a similar choice and decides to walk into the desert without a stillsuit rather than go on.

Book stuff
Isn't Paul like cannonically a chicken for wussing out of becoming the big worm monster than his son ultimately becomes in his stead? Someone needed to become that to save humanity, but passed the buck to his kid despite knowing full well what was required

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

I read the book when I was in 9th grade and watched the Lynch movie right after that, so it's probably been 25+ years since I've read any of the source material. I have a few questions:

Are the Bene Gessert similar to Handmaids from a Handmaids Tale? It seems like all the BG's that we met are concubines, and Leto even tells Jessica "I wish I had married you.", if Leto and Jessica aren't married, where is Leto's wife?

I think this was hinted at, but want to make sure I understand, the BG on Arrakis are the ones that planted the seeds of "Lisan Al-Galib" regarding Paul right?

Leto was single with only Jessica as his concubine

The Bene Gessert do not all act as concubines, they have a huge breeding program however so insofar as a sister is needed to further that program, she'll work toward that goal

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It's also tens of thousands of years in the future and changes in language would be expected.

I mean the main religion's holy book is the "Orange Catholic Bible" which in universe is some conglomeration of all the major religions of Earth combined into one. Things are gonna be different in 10 thousand years in the future.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Azubah posted:

Is Paul's choice with Jamis why sometimes Zendaya kills him and sometimes she doesn't in his visions? It felt like an either or thing to me as it was presented in the movie and I read the book 20 some odd years ago so I don't remember poo poo about it.

Paul's choices change the future, yes.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

You'd think with how critical spice is the Emperor would want that planet to be part of his personal demesne.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

cohsae posted:

I've only read the first book, so maybe this is in the sequels but
If Spice is what makes space travel possible, how did anyone get around before it was discovered on Arrakis?

They used computers to calculate the FTL jumps before spice.

Computers are banned by the time of the Dune book.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Does the movie show the polar ice caps of Arrakis? I can't remember seeing them.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

porfiria posted:

It was pretty funny the Atreides were using some phalanx tactics on the steps to the palace. That...seems like a pretty good idea, although isn't the canonical idea with the Hotlzmann effect that it actually reflects momentum? But what if your spear has a shield on it?

Considering they were willing to use lasers against shielded targets, I think it's safe to say the Hotlzmann effect is different in the movie compared to the book except for where they explicitly said things are the same.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

This is the director's true vision.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

The film ends with him launching a holy war after making the emperor kiss his ring.

Did you miss the part where he undergoes a substantial character shift after drinking the worm juice, something he feared throughout the whole movie until every avenue to avoid it he could think of was closed off by the Harkonans, Emperor, and his mother?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

First good use an LLM I’ve seen

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

All the folks missing the point of the later books where Leto II and Paul's Golden Path was explicitly designed so that humanity would develop the means to defeat his prescience and stop an all-powerful space emperor from ever rising up who didn't have the best interests of humanity at heart like Paul and his offspring did. The No-Ships and development of FTL that didn't require Spice or thinking machines were to ensure that you could never again have a singular ruler in charge of everything, and to spread humanity out among the rest of the stars to ensure they could not be wiped out by apocalyptic disasters like AI.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Personal shields would absolutely stop a regular gun's bullets. They move way too fast.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

The cannons the Harkonnens are so psyched about are regular tube artillery, which mostly kill by flinging shrapnel through the air at high velocities. A shield will completely protect troops from this mode of attack unless they're unlucky enough to be injured by overpressure standing within a few feet of a shell burst, so they fell out of favor. But on Arrakis people don't wear shields and tube artillery can be used to drop caves on people's heads, which is what they're so stoked about.'

Dune was written before precision artillery, so the idea that a shell could be aimed to land within a few feet of a man-sized target wasn't plausible at the time. Now armies love precision artillery and constantly try to order expensive long-range precision systems, because dropping one shell on a target is so much faster and more efficient than dropping hundreds of shells in its general vicinity and hoping you get a few hits. So from the modern perspective the idea that tube artillery is obsolete is a bit odd, but 60s tube artillery really couldn't hit a target the size of a human and a shield would protect you from the shrapnel.

It also still works tbh. Since thinking machines are banned. And their definition of "thinking machines" is very broad, even calculators are banned which is why they use Mentats to do math. So precision anything is pretty much out of the question.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Tei posted:

They compensate lack of computers with training. Like these people that can calculate the square root of a large number instanly with a combination of tecniques and ability.

On the Dune universe you have people that can do some specific job has good or better than a computer.

Oh, I'm sure a mentat could calculate a very accurate firing solution for a given target. But modern precision weapons rely on the weapon performing minute adjustments to their flightpath on the fly constantly to compensate for the changing environment. Something which a human just can't pull off.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It is absolutely not a computer thing. My assumption is it's the equivalent of a 3d oscilloscope display from their radar returns.

Edit: There are groups out there who are more willing to skirt the prohibition on thinking machines. But the Harkonans aren't one of them.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 17, 2024

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

BonoMan posted:

Thanks! It's got more detail than just straight radar returns, but Reddit has pointed me in the direction of it being mentat powered somehow.

Mentat powered is plausible too. It's not really stated either way, so it's up to the viewer. Nothing like that war room was portrayed in the books as far as I remember.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

If you consider Brian Herbert's stuff as canon then it was absolutely a war against rogue AI trying to exterminate humanity.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 18, 2024

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

hillaryous clinton posted:

It's been a while since I read Dune. Wouldn't the personal shields cover the swords themselves, thus making it impossible to stab someone while shielded?

Listen, Jack.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Emperor: Battle for Dune rocked. It had Worf as Duke Atreides and you could laser shields and blow up both your's and the enemy's armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Kopmala posted:

I wish I could tell you the source for that quote, but I saw it and sent it to myself as a text message (I routinely do this with topics I'm interested in). It was so drat long ago that I seriously can't remember where it came from.

That sounds cooler than the skynet we got.