Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Just got out of this, have two questions that I think were just me missing bits of dialogue and one about character.

1) Why didn't they use their shields more in this movie? I think there was a part early on where one of the Harkonnen soldiers was about to activate his shield, then somebody told him not to and I didn't understand why. Also, pretty much nobody used shields in the action scenes in the third act. Is this just a budget thing, stylistic choice, what?
2) During the fight scene on Geidi Prime, right after the fight starts, some people want to stop it. I'm positive this was explain in the dialogue and I just didn't hear it, but what was it?

Also,

Paul was really resistant about going to the south the entire movie, obviously. Was he actually resistant or did he know the whole time what he was gonna do and he was just pretending to not wanna do it so he could pretend the whole thing was forced on him because that makes for a better yarn to spin to people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, in a world with hyperspace travel and psychic antifa supersoldiers, the ultimate weapon that defines the climax of the movie being "the bomb from Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer" feels almost quaint, but then I remembered the original book was from 1965 and y'know what, fair enough.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Scags McDouglas posted:

w/r/t Prescience, Paul is navigating the narrow path. But did he really need to take two stab wounds from Feyd? Did the golden path (in the movie!!) not just indicate to him a way to avoid that or did he have to get pushed around for most of the fight?

We did 50 takes......and that was the best one.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Dune is only gonna be in theaters for a month and a half before it goes to digital? Wow.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So how many more movies of this are they gonna make, anyway? Messiah is apparently already in development. I've heard there's three more books that people like, then two that kinda don't go anywhere cause Frank Herbert died before he could finish the storyline, then his kid turned it into fuckin' nonsense.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Excuse me, it's 3UNC.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That's our usul! :imunfunny:

(I can't promise I wouldn't have been one of the people laughing as Timothee Chalomet did a pratfall into the sand)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I kinda wanna read Dune Messiah cause I wanna know what happens and don't wanna wait three years for the movie to get made. Can I go straight from DUNC 1 and 2 into Messiah or should I read Dune first? Should I just read Dune anyway because it's a seminal work and I enjoyed the movies enough to wanna read the sequel? Am I just answering my own questions here? Does the water of life give people prescience because worms eat a shitton of spice because of their big ol dumb worm mouths so their insides are just, like, pure spice?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Do the cloaks and capes that the characters wear over their stillsuits have a practical purpose or are they just there cause it looks cool?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
First impression of the book, it's incredibly funny that the Baron and his Menat are just boyfriends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
What does Herbert think of the movie in general?

I would also like to know his opinion on DUNC, but, well.