Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I saw Dune yesterday and enjoyed it, even if it is a movie you should read the plot summary on wikipedia before hand. Bit slow for the first bit, but once the invasion happens, everything picks up

How many other books/games/movies have the protag's mom as a key party member on the journey. They usually get killed off pretty quick.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

My friend told me that the in universe reason was that shooting lasers at a shield would cause nuclear explosions or something, but I think he was just loving with me

this explains why in the far future, everybody hacks at each other with machetes instead of laser swords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Finally caught Dune 2, I enjoyed it. Definitely should have rewatched the first part first. Though I agree Paul going all in on the holy war at the end was weird, I guess thats what happens when you huff your own farts spice. Though I would have started with purging the BGs first. Or last change their dress code to not obviously evil

If there is a Messiah film incoming, how thats gonna work with Chani hating Paul's guts. And no creepy baby Alia yet.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Oh yeah, does it ever get explained in the later books why Paul is the ubermensch one gen ahead of schedule? Or is the galactic eugenics program not completely infallible after all

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Bugblatter posted:

Upthread someone wrote an outline for Messiah that seemed to hone in on the themes Dennis has focused on. Mostly, they hypothesized that Chani will lead the fremen faction that opposes Paul and that they will be the ones that use the stone burner.

If Chani doesn't make up with Paul, then does Paul just go celibate the entire time and still not have kids because reasons?

Kvantum posted:

I think the idea was that it would be the mix of the Atreides and Harkonnen lines that would produce him, but Jessica being the Baron's daughter threw off their calculations.

disposablewords posted:

It's less that the hypothetical Atreides/Harkonnen match's kid would definitely be The One and more that they'd be way more likely to be The One than an earlier generation is. There have been other men considered possible supermen along the way but they failed at various points in the testing. If Jessica had been born a boy then she would have been a potential one too, just one even less likely than Paul to succeed that toss of the dice.

Ok, so its more of a probability thing than any actual assurance? That makes sense

In the movies, it was implied the Atreides got whacked because of some secret plot the BG cooked up out of spite or something. In the books, I think it was just because Emps was paranoid folks liked Leto more than him? I'm not sure which version I like more, probably the emperor a paranoid fool?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Let's face it, Feyd probably found the Gom Jabbar to be the hottest foreplay he's had in his life

Jokes on you, im into this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Does the book ever explain why the Fremen are such good fighters anyway? Paul says they've been fighting the Harkonnens for decades, and while I can buy them being very, very good at ambushes / hit and run stuff, the "effortlessly rinsing Sardaukar in hand-to-hand combat" part always felt weird. Like why even bother with asymmetrical warfare if there's millions of you and you could easily just get close to Arakeen and massacre anyone who isn't a Fremen with virtually no resistance? Does the spice exposure give them some very limited precognition or something? I haven't read the books in drat near two decades so I've forgotten most of it, but I do seem to remember the books eventually backtrack on it and make the Sardaukar decent shock troops with good PR rather than unstoppable elite soldiers.

Arrakis is such a dump the Fremen have to be such good fighters in order to survive. Plus, greater galactic fighting styles are based on deflector shields which dont really work on Arrakis unless the user is ok becoming worm food. So the Fremen have a massive advantage there as well