Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure that in either Messiah or Children an Atreides (I want to say Alia) is going through their ancestral memory and Agamemnon makes an appearance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

Yes, yes, but what is happening before Rabban walks in??? The establishing shot shows a landed Harkonnen spaceship. The Baron is flying around in a circle screaming incoherently, Feyd is in some sort of sauna machine, there's a guy laughing and adjusting some sort of control box??? musical instrument??? and there's a dwarf vacuuming the floor.

The Baron's zooming around because he's stoked his revenge plan worked

The laughing guy is Nefud, the Harkonnen guard captain (field promotion after his predecessor got a faceful of tooth gas)

The control box plays semuta music, which Nefud is addicted to (just like he was in the book!)

Dune wiki posted:

Semuta Music was a music played to elicit the effect of the drug, semuta. It had an eerie, atonal quality that was generally unmistakable.

The dwarf is just to be weird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVBclV5ps2U

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
L'Incal rules so loving hard

just don't get the recolored version

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/mcs212/status/1222845353600438272

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
He looks like he just heard the Sisters of Mercy broke up

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I always thought of the inhabited parts of Caladan as warm (growing rice & poo poo) but I suppose if it's a bit chilly then the move to Arrakis is that much more of a wrench

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 13, 2020

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

It's a whole planet my dude.

the inhabited parts

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Was it in Javier Bardem's contract that he got a bigger codpiece than anyone else

(also lol that after 35 years they still can't come up with a stillsuit costume that isn't a sweatbox)

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

. . . that's what it's for . . .

recycle the sweat you have sure, not make you sweat more

also pretty sure if you poo poo in one of those costumes it doesn't get processed in the thigh pads

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I think what's rubbing me the wrong way about the costumes is that they look mass-produced, and mass production seems at odds with the feudal setting - in fact it seems more in line with pre-Jihad "machine thinking" I guess.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

FBS posted:

Sietches had all kinds of mass production activity including stillsuit manufacturing

Was it mass production, though? I always envisaged it as more of a workshop/atelier thing.

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 15, 2020

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Kassad posted:

The political system is feudal but it's still an advanced society with giant factories on wheels, nuclear weapons, airplanes, spaceships and so on.

Sure, but again, I saw them as made by craftsmen in guilds rather than a bunch of guys punching the clock on the ornithopter assembly line. Bespoke nukes :v:

Just seems to fit with the feudal setting and rejection of "machine thinking" more to me

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Kassad posted:

Okay I do like the idea of bespoke nukes :v:

But really it's more all the stuff that's needed to get to the stage of making ornithopters or nuclear weapons or what have you. You can't make metal alloys or enriched uranium in an atelier.

But who knows, maybe they all just buy stuff from the Ixians.

Yeah you'd have to assume the base level of technology was such that you could make high tech like shields and spice crawlers with a feudal mode of production. And the keepers of the technology that makes it all possible (Ix, Richesse) are regarded with suspicion and regulated with a heavy hand (which tracks with the books iirc) since they're fundamentally antithetical to the whole structure of the economy.

All of which is to say I just want to see armour and swords and shield belts that are individualized and unique and cool and not stamped out at the Ford plant between shifts.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

vuk83 posted:

Would alexander skarsgaard work as feyd rautha?

I'd prefer Bill tbh

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DuneAuthor/status/1249741945653481472

Every time I see that "@DuneAuthor" handle I want to punch windows

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Ingmar terdman posted:

Isnt one of the stills they've released gurney and paul ostensibly looking at the first worm in the book

iirc you don't see much of the worm in the corresponding scene from the book - just the harvester getting swallowed up by a big hole, and oh look, the hole has teeth

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Here we go:

quote:

A wide hole emerged from the sand. Sunlight flashed from glistening white spokes within it. The hole's diameter was at least twice the length of the crawler, Paul estimated. He watched as the machine slid into that opening in a billow of dust and sand. The hole pulled back.

Then a little later

quote:

The worm had withdrawn into the depths and now, near where the crawler had been, two figures could be seen moving north away from the sand depression. They appeared to glide over the surface with hardly a lifting of dust to mark their passage.

Not showing a full worm would be a loving cocktease tho

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
ooh ooh ooh

movie ends with our first full glimpse of a worm as paul and jessica flee from it after the thopter crash - it emerges from the sand then hard cut to the credits

you can have that one for free denis

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Shane Carruth's not doing anything rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Well, not any movies, at least...