Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I remember reading somewhere that Herbert actually really liked the way the Navigator was depicted in Lynch’s movie, and it reflected how he portrayed chronic spice users in the latter novels. Any truth to that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Re: the Lynch movie being overly dark - I'm watching it right now and they must have had some weird technical poo poo going on behind the scenes, a lot of shots have their exposure pushed really hard, a couple of the composite shots are really rough, and when Paul is first showing the fremen how to use the weirding module there's a loving massive light leak drenching the right side of the frame.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I kinda enjoy how comically over the top evil it makes the harkonnens, rabban's little sippy cup that crushes small animals so he can drink their blood is one of the most ridiculous props ever.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I think that's just what the harkonnens call a good time

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

SHAI

HU

LUD

THE

VAST

SAND

WORM

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Dune knowledge havers: why does everyone else have setting appropriate names but then there's a guy named Duncan Idaho, which if I didn't know better was the guy that founded Idaho Potatoes.

He's got a comically MidwestTM name because he's essentially Space John Wayne until he gets shot in the face.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

I don’t really understand why Dune should look like an acid trip at all. The descriptions in the book are fairly grounded and kind of brutalist? Are people just really wanting the Jodorowsky take? His movie sounded cool but had nothing to do with the novel.

its a universe where the closest helicopter analogue is a plane that flaps its wings like a loving bird, there isn't gently caress-all in Dune that's supposed to be grounded or familiar.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The whole juice thing is an exaggeration from the books as well, Piter drinks it but it’s not because its a mentat thing, its because the Baron seeks out people who have easy control levers and Piter being an addict makes him easy to control.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I think the implication was that the Spacing guild acquired all of their spice off the books, because they can just blockade anyone who tried to out them, so nobody even knew they were a big consumer of it, much less that spice was the key ingredient to the navigators ability to perform space folding.

as far as the navigator's appearance - there are spacing guild dudes in the first book who seem fairly normal, aside from the spice eyes, but I don't think they're explicitly identified as Navigators, and Messiah has a navigator as a major character and he's explicitly a mutant fishman confined to a spice tank. I remember reading somewhere that Herbert actually really liked the imagery from Jodorowsky and Lynch of the Navigators not just being flippery dudes but full on horrific whalepeople, and brought that into the books at some point? Last time I read children, God Emperor or Chapterhouse was like 15 years ago so I can't remember if there's any truth to that.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Yeah, iirc the studio wanted to say in marketing that they had alternate cuts for all of the Allen movies in their big megabox collection, and offered Scott a (presumably large) amount of money to just gently caress around for a bit and make a different cut they could use.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The machines in The Matrix are three laws compliant and the system is the result of an extremely convoluted chain of logical leaps to punish humanity for attempting to genocide robots without actually breaking them.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I mean, the vast majority of people in general do not have anything resembling a coherent ideological structure, it’s just that sci fi and fantasy authors have a tendency to just let it all hang out.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

jeeves posted:

Much like the Spider-thing, the ship as gates is a kind of weird invention for the movie... and like... only for that one shot.

I imagine that there are a lot more inhabited planets than heighliners, so the guild charges a shitload to have one show up in orbit for you and link up to your destination when you need to move poo poo.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Oh that’s easy, the navigators are high as gently caress on precog seasoning so they already know when they need to show up and have the register ready to go on arrival

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The guild are also stated to have an effective monopoly on banking in the known universe as well as on travel.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I kind of took that the couple dudes we see in the fully enclosed white and gold suits during the Herald of the Change scene might’ve been early stage navigators acting as guild reps to the imperial court, senior enough to be rocking 24/7 spice gas suits but not having gone full fish-fetus mode yet.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I've said this before, but I like some things about the Lynch Dune and dislike others. The costumes are too samey--I like the sleek black synthetic fabric, but there are too many different factions who are all wearing black synthetic fabric.

My favorite costuming detail from dune 84 is that the guild reps are wearing actual used bodybags, which the actors were not told about at the time

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

gently caress it, just go full circle and have Brad Dourif play the emperor

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

as I understand the story from the featurettes released with the original 97SE, Lucasfilm hasn't released a scan of the original star wars masters because the ones they had literally do not exist anymore, they were heavily damaged from age and california storage and what little they had left got destructively cannibalized for the special editions. There are probably other masters out there or first run prints, but all the ones lucasfilm had are gone and Lucas personally had no interest in acquiring and restoring another copy.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

I watched like 3 vids trying to explain that series and still have no idea wtf its even about

What if every culture in the universe has the same outlook as white guys who open carry at chuck-e-cheese’s for fear that another person might just start blasting at any moment

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

My take on the Yueh thing in the books was always that it was less “we have your wife” and more about engineering a situation where Yueh would trolley problem himself into a situation where helping the Harkonnens was the best route forward, and the baron really didn’t give a poo poo about the specifics of what Yueh told himself as long as he helped bring down the Atreides.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

kalel posted:

I mean it's pretty obvious that snyder would play the whole white saviour thing completely uncritically straight

lol

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is everyone in dunc universe “regular” humans or do they have enhanced genetics? Like why are the sardokar and fremen known for being powerful fighters? Are they just trained better/have better gear?

Sardaukar and fremen both live on inhospitable death worlds and live in extremely violent cultures that supposedly weed out anyone too weak to become an ultimate killing machine, the fremen of course live on dune and it’s revealed later that the Sardaukar homeworld, salusa secundus, was the imperial prison world where the condemned of several centuries were marooned and left to fend for themselves on planet Space Australia. Most people are genetically baseline humans, besides the limited eugenics that the bene gesserit do, and the mentats are the results of lifelong training and conditioning. the hidden guild navigators are hideously mutated by extreme spice exposure, and actual for-real genetic engineering shows up in the second book, Dune Messiah, with the bene tleilaxu, a cult of freaky body modifiers who mutate people into monstrosities and create custom-grown creatures for the great houses entertainment.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Power Walrus posted:

Just make sure the carryall pilots are in the union.

Do you think the carryall pilots are teamsters or did the teamsters become the spacing guild?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Love to get myself completely covered in whatever cancer causing stuff that is especially without a hard hat even though there’s swinging heavy equipment at head level, just to prove to the boys that I’m a manly man.

The funny thing about that video is that the shirtless one is actually the CEO or someone similarly high in the company, and this video was him trying to prove that a bunch of the standard safety measures aren’t actually necessary and making a total loving mess of the site in the process. There’s video of other people doing this exact same procedure and it’s not nearly as much of a loving horrorshow when someone who knows that they’re doing is doing the job.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The Navigator’s appearance in the Lynch Dune film is an invention of the film, as while navigators are mutated in the books their description up to that point was more in line with some kind of anime merman, rather than the giant horrifying fish fetus of the 80s movie. I have heard rumors though that Herbert apparently loving loved that interpretation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not sure who Baron Harkonnen would be... for some reason I can't help but think Fozzie.

David Lynch.

He is the only human actor.